• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2022 is going to be Tomlin’s Toughest Year Ever

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
We all knew this time was coming, we just chose to ignore it until we had to finally accept it. Yes, I am talking about the retirements of Ben Roethlisberger, Defensive Coordinator Keith Butler, and General Manager Kevin Colbert. Obviously, the Pittsburgh Steelers are going to be conducting their thorough processes of filling those voids, but it is going to be Head Coach Mike Tomlin who is going to be in for a tough time in 2022. I understand that is a fairly generic and subjective statement, so let me get into the reasoning as to why this is going to be the case.

Here are 4 reasons why 2022 is going to be Tomlin’s toughest season of his entire NFL career.

Coaching Staff Musical Chairs

Another season, another rotation at assistant coaching roles within the Steelers’ organization. This is odd to say for an organization who prides itself in little turnover at coaching positions and is one of the most “secure” (I use that term lightly for any NFL gig) career homes in the league. But as we look towards next season, Tomlin will have to coax a more tenured offensive line coach, find a new defensive coordinator who shares his similar defensive acumen, and if they choose to hire from within, find replacements for those other assistant coaching vacancies. Tomlin has never been through such a coaching whirlwind during his time in Pittsburgh since maybe last year, where he still had Butler helping him on defense. In 2022, Tomlin will be surrounded by a new staff with a relatively new and unproven offensive coordinator in Matt Canada. For reference, in Tomlin’s 15 seasons with the Steelers, he’s only had 3 offensive coordinators and 2 defensive coordinators; not to mention help at offensive line coach. Ever since the departure of Mike Munchak in 2018, the Steelers haven’t been able to maintain a strong offensive line unit and it has showed in the overall offensive production. I consider the offensive line coach one of the most underrated coaching positions for the Steelers; a clear make-or-break for the offense.

2022 is going to be the first “real” season where the entire coaching staff is a direct reflection of Tomlin’s impact. Whether or not that is a good thing or bad thing will be decided at this point in 2023. Needless to say, building a new staff without input from longer-tenured coaches is not going to be easy for Tomlin and seeing his offensive coaching acquisitions, this is may be frustrating to watch.

New General Manager Partner

Some may or may not know this, but the Steelers haven’t had a ‘true’ General Manager since 1970 when Dan Rooney assumed that role for a brief stint. Since then, they’ve created their own hybrid role of “General Manager/Director/VP of Football Operations” until Colbert’s title change in 2010. With that said, Colbert was the only GM Tomlin has worked with in Pittsburgh. Of course we all know of the ‘family approach’ the Steelers take towards business within the organization, but it has primarily been the ‘Colbert and Tomlin Show’ since 2007. With Colbert waiting until after the draft to step down, Tomlin will have his final draft with him going into 2022. However, where Tomlin is going to miss him will be with trades and free agency. Please remember I am writing this before a replacement GM is announced, but although Tomlin has gotten better (I say that with a grain of salt) in his draft strategy, he hasn’t been able to show consistency in free agency signings. Whoever the Rooney’s bring in to take over Colbert’s duties is going to have to finesse the free agency and trade markets for Tomlin. Just think back to the time last year after the draft, but before opening day kickoff; there were multiple additions and drops, all of which played into the depth chart throughout the season and Tomlin has trouble making those decisions alone.

New Quarterback

Bill Belichick
had Tom Brady. Tom Landry had Roger Staubach. Vince Lombardi had Bart Starr. Chuck Noll had Terry Bradshaw. Tomlin had Roethlisberger. There is no doubt a strong head coach and quarterback relationship is critical in winning in the NFL. Tomlin was blessed to have Roethlisberger as his QB1 for his entire head coaching career and is going to have to find a new one for 2022. Needless to say, this is easier said than done. Being such a defensive-minded coach, Tomlin doesn’t necessarily have the eye to spot talent at the quarterback position. Just look at who the Steelers drafted since Tomlin has taken over; Dennis Dixon, Landry Jones, Josh Dobbs, and Mason Rudolph. Now I know finding that true ‘franchise quarterback’ is something every team chases each draft and we haven’t seen a quarterback draft class like what we saw in 2004, but this also bleeds into free agency acquisitions. For example, in addition to Dwayne Haskins, Byron Leftwich, Michael Vick, Zach Mettenberger, and Bruce Gradkowski are all examples of free agent quarterbacks Tomlin has signed. Only time will tell if his next quarterback signing will have a better result, but history has shown a consistently weak outlook in this regard. For the sake of Pittsburgh’s collective sanity, 2022 is the year to not bargain hunt for a starting quarterback; time to pay up to avoid a rebuild continuum.

No More Bill Cowher Influence

Roethlisberger was the final piece of any Cowher influence to walk away from the Steelers and football. One of the largest gripes amongst older Steelers fans is the fact that Tomlin has succeeded and won a Super Bowl on Cowher’s coat tails. While I understand both sides of that argument, 2022 will be the first “real” season where this won’t come into play. Just as in college where coaches have roughly 4 years to build their own team, Tomlin has had the luxury of taking his time in doing this as he was immediately put into a position to win in his earlier years. But as time has drawn on and we’ve seen names like Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu, Casey Hampton, Heath Miller, Max Starks, and Brett Keisel retire, there has been clear transition periods between each name change on the depth chart at various key positions. If Tomlin wants to put this argument to rest, 2022 is going to be the year to do so.

2022 is undoubtedly going to be a difficult year for Tomlin and the Steelers. But with that said, the Rooney’s have shown a major transition (like what we’re about to see) doesn’t need to be a complex one and time is needed to establish a post-Roethlisberger/Colbert era. The Steelers need to be in ‘win now’ mode to get over the playoff hump, as we’ve seen with teams like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Los Angeles Rams. Unfortunately, this goes against the Rooney mentality so I am not optimistic Steeler Nation will see this any time soon. But Tomlin has shown he can still win games with the “next man up”; 2022 is going to put that to the test.

How do you think the Steelers will fair with the new vacancies? Do you think 2022 will be Tomlin’s toughest season? Let us know in the comments!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Wrong title - it will be Steeler Nation's toughest year - Tomlin has already shown he can put anything he wants on the field and keep his job.
8-8-1. Never a losing season. Greatest coach ever.

To be fair, with Tomlin's QB's drafted/signed, they weren't looking to replace Ben, Just back him up.

To be fair, with Tomlin's QB's drafted/signed, they weren't looking to replace Ben, Just back him up.
They had a 1st round grade on Rudolph. They thought he was going to be the man.

I remember back when they announced a 17 game season and everyone said he couldnt tie the win loss colums. How stupid were most of us....................

You can't make this stuff up,............... so much so it has beome the normal, expected to mediocracy & fail.

Salute the nation

gotta love how when the talking head adress Tomlin it's never had a losing season. when those same talking heads refer to Ben it's head had 15 winning seasons outta 18. how come the don't say Ben has never had a losing season in 18 ******* years.

I am glad Ben is finally done. I love this board and will always be a part of it as long as it is around, I will also always bleed black and gold and cheer for our steelers but I am no longer vested in this mess like I have been for the last 50 years.

The nfl is only about politics and money today, you might have a handful of owners that actually care about winning but most just like Art ll care only about the money. you can also say about the same for a big piece of the fan base as all they care about is fantasy points. between Goodall and FF the Nfl is ******.

Nothing screams awesome like getting beaten and stomped at the end of the year. They've been taking it to the next level in the playoffs. I'm pumped!

It's like the coaches are Alexander The Great, Sun Tzu and General George S Patton.

I read some of Art II comments and to me they are very revealing. When asked about Tomlin calling the defensive plays Art says that’s between Coach Tomlin and his coaches. And when broached about free agency I get the feeling from his tone that they will be going after mid tier players and not too quality. Art II reminds me so much of Mike Brown who inherited the Bengals from his legendary father Paul. They became a poorly run organization for years under Mike but as soon as his children took over due to Mikes advanced age, things began to change for the Bengals. The offspring of Mike brought the team into todays NFL and they are the future now.
Art is living in the past with archaic ideas and philosophies and it’s showing more each year. I don’t think things will get better anytime soon at all. I mean just look at this past season when Art signs off on bringing back a slow, old, and immobile 39 year old Ben, and places him behind a patchwork horrible OL. Totally irresponsible decision making!

I read some of Art II comments and to me they are very revealing. When asked about Tomlin calling the defensive plays Art says that’s between Coach Tomlin and his coaches. And when broached about free agency I get the feeling from his tone that they will be going after mid tier players and not too quality. Art II reminds me so much of Mike Brown who inherited the Bengals from his legendary father Paul. They became a poorly run organization for years under Mike but as soon as his children took over due to Mikes advanced age, things began to change for the Bengals. The offspring of Mike brought the team into todays NFL and they are the future now.
Art is living in the past with archaic ideas and philosophies and it’s showing more each year. I don’t thing he better anytime soon at all. I mean just look at this past season Art signs off on bringing back an d, slow 39 year old Ben, and places him behind a patchwork horrible OL. Totally irresponsible decision making!
See he knew Ben is a winner so he would help remain the status quo of winning more than losing. He knows the team is locked into great ticket sells. He knows fans will continue to watch. Goodell is tweaking for the fantasy football millennials so he knows he has that too. What a few old school fans desire mean nothing to them. The coin isn't changing. Their approach isn't changing.

As of right now, I can't see them any better than 7-10. FA and the draft could change that but even if they get FA and the draft right (restocking the DL, OL, and moving on from there), I still can't see them any better than 9-8. This means many pieces are there and Rudolph is the starting QB.

I hate saying this but what this football team needs is a couple losing seasons. I mean a couple 4-5 win seasons so we can have a top 10 pick for a couple seasons. Draft some top tier players and finally put an end to this never had a losing season under Tomlin. Sure, 8-8, 9-7-1 are non losing seasons but let’s look at the entire spectrum too. They are mediocre seasons and place your football team squarely in the middle of the pack. Maybe for some owners and fans that’s good enough. Of course like anything in life it’s about perspective right? I mean if you’re a Lions, Falcons, Jags, Texans fan then 8-8 or 9/7-1 is a successful season but I just never thought as a Steeler fan it would come to mediocrity is acceptable.

I hate saying this but what this football team needs is a couple losing seasons. I mean a couple 4-5 win seasons so we can have a top 10 pick for a couple seasons. Draft some top tier players and finally put an end to this never had a losing season under Tomlin. Sure, 8-8, 9-7-1 are non losing seasons but let’s look at the entire spectrum too. They are mediocre seasons and place your football team squarely in the middle of the pack. Maybe for some owners and fans that’s good enough. Of course like anything in life it’s about perspective right? I mean if you’re a Lions, Falcons, Jags, Texans fan then 8-8 or 9/7-1 is a successful season but I just never thought as a Steeler fan it would come to mediocrity is acceptable.
That would seem to work but doesn’t usually the clowns responsible for you only winning 4-5 games are the ones drafting… looks at jets. Ya switch up the HC like bungals did but we don’t do that… thing is it’s not a problem for team like steelers to trade up we have few jobs open as it is… its paying everybody that’s the problem... and of course if the dick heads that have us in a mess draft guys like bush ur screwed.

Time for Tomlin to see the light get some coaches that can coach up this team and actually teach. I still do not get Canada coming back especially watching the playoffs, we do not come close to an offense as we have witnessed.

Time for Tomlin to see the light get some coaches that can coach up this team and actually teach. I still do not get Canada coming back especially watching the playoffs, we do not come close to an offense as we have witnessed.
Obviously Tomlin doesn't want assistants who are smarter than he is, and things of that nature.

Or better yet... shut.

wig, I hear what you are saying but if we do as you sugest,............... then there is no way we can put the pudding back in the box !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salute the nation

The 80’s and early 90’s were far worse.