• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2023 Week 1 pregame thread. San Francisco 49rs

Not when you realize many of these teams overperformed in the regular season. At least in my opinion. Depth killed us by the time we get to the playoffs fighting and scratching we were too banged up. Hopefully that changes this year with better depth.
Agree, but I did edit my post to.... "more than 3 playoff wins since 2013".

Last edited:
Agree, but I did edit my post to.... "more than 3 playoff wins since 2013".
If Ben didn't throw all those picks against the Browns we probably win that one. I still to this day believe that if Ryan Clark had played in the Denver game we would have won that game. Shazier was the other huge loss for us and really hurt against the Jagoffs over the middle. Hell we are still trying to fill his spot. Hopefully the trio of new guys does the job.

Dang, everything is still BEN’s fault.

EXCEPT peppered BACON for breakfast and Pepi’s “ROETHLISBERGER“

Salute the nation

On defense the 49ers have one of the leagues best run defenses. Steelers will have to run efficiently to keep their Bosa and Hargrave pass rush from teeing off. I would max protect towards Bosa when he is in and switch towards Hargrave when he isn't.
I'm glad we have a starting guard who got to practice against Hargrave the last few years.

I'm glad we have a starting guard who got to practice against Hargrave the last few years.
That definitely won't hurt and from what I read he reads formations really well besides being an excellent run blocker. I think he will help that offense out considerably.

So here is my breakdown.
This is definitely going to be the hardest game of the year on paper at least. The 49’ers are a stacked team… but they did lose a lot in the offseason and the replacements have yet to prove themselves… most notably they switched DC’s… with Ryans leaving for Houston… their replacement, Wilks has talked about maybe incorporating more man into their cover 3 heavy schemes… but the front seven will stay mostly unchanged…

That front seven may be a nightmare… Hargrave, Bosa, warner in coverage.. I would not expect a great run game from us… but that secondary did lose some guys and might be vulnerable… especially to pickens … i think muth might have a rough time vs warner… i think our best matchup might be Robinson and Ca3 in slot… that is where the biggest changeover for sf is at.. … and honestly some trickery with Heyward should be used too

On offense the 9ers are basically using the threat of the run to get easy RAC yards from simple throws… peterson is right… tackling is key…
For pass protection, they have a new RT, so Kittle will double TJ a lot… if Highsmith can beat their LT… who might be the leagues best, he has earned that extension early… but most likely this game will test the rebuilt ilbs and S a ton. ..
they need to put in the best pass rushers in the interior DL a lot… they will probably get the most pressure on Purdy.. and that is the best way to beat him so far…

tge whole SF interior line were all first year starters last season… hopefully we found a weakness on tape to exploit… especially if leal is in for ogunjobi… getting a pass rush up the middle would be key.

I think Benton makes some major play in relief of Adams this game… just a hunch

tge whole SF interior line were all first year starters last season… hopefully we found a weakness on tape to exploit… especially if leal is in for ogunjobi… getting a pass rush up the middle would be key.

I think Benton makes some major play in relief of Adams this game… just a hunch
I think the extra competition this off-season will have this team competitive throughout the year. Might not always result in wins, but I think the team should be a fun watch.

Happy Opening Day yinzers!!!! Excited for the possibility this team has, excited to come out there in November, and grateful we live in a country that allows such trivial distractions like a game when others are so oppressed. Here’s to a great 2023 Steeler Nation!!!!!!!

What I am going to be interested in is how much more of a pass rush we have this season… last year we had 3 players capable of creating pressure with any regularity… TJ, Heyward and Highsmith…
Since Vince williams left, no ilb has really been even a little bit effective at rushing the passer.. and Williams wasn’t great at it or anything…
This season all of the top 3 have had some success with blitzing in their past…

On the DL, wormley had a good season two years ago, but had to basically suck at run D to do it… we haven’t really had that second DL with any pass rush since tuitt… Leal should basically be a third DE type that can rush the passer from the line… and if Benton can force the C to focus on him and not help out on The other DLmen, that really elevates the outside DL.. as well as the inside linebackers…

In the secondary, only Neal really has any pass rushing chops… and not much of them yet… i think that is one spot Edmunds might have been a little bit better at… but its rare for dbs to blitz… nice to have if you need it though… maybe porter will have some skills there…

Outside LB should be deeper than it’s been since the mid 00’s… we can rotate 4 guys, all who can pass rush…

I really like the depth this season.. i think with a healthy TJ, we can add at least 15-20 sacks this year…