• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2024 HOF Semi-Finalist List

Supe's Five
  • Antonio Gates, TE – 2003-2018 San Diego/Los Angeles Chargers (Times as a Semifinalist: 1 – 2024)
  • Eddie George, RB – 1996-2003 Houston/Tennessee Oilers/Titans, 2004 Dallas Cowboys (Times as a Semifinalist: 2 – 2022, 2024)
  • James Harrison, LB – 2002-2012, 2014-17 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2013 Cincinnati Bengals, 2017 New England Patriots | (Times as a Semifinalist: 2 – 2023-24)
  • Julius Peppers, DE – 2002-09, 2017-18 Carolina Panthers, 2010-13 Chicago Bears, 2014-15 Green Bay Packers (Times as a Semifinalist: 1 – 2024)
  • Hines Ward, WR – 1998-2011 Pittsburgh Steelers | (Times as a Semifinalist: 8 – 2017-2024)
I don’t think ONE gets in this year, let alone TWO. Sad, but true.

The only one on that list that could should get selected before Hines is possibly Steve Smith Sr., get Hines in

Last edited:
The Super Bowl MVP should carry more weight, but we all know it won’t.
Should it? The vast majority of the greatest NFL players of the past 50 years were never Super Bowl MVPs. And then there’s Mark Rypien, Dexter Jackson, Desmond Howard, Deion Branch and Joe Flacco, all Super Bowl MVPs.

Last edited:
Should it? The vast majority of the greatest NFL players of the past 50 years were never Super Bowl MVPs. And then there’s Mark Rypien, Dexter Jackson, Desmond Howard, Deion Branch and Joe Flacco, all Super Bowl MVPs.
My point was when you have two similar candidates, SB MVP should give you the edge

My point was when you have two similar candidates, SB MVP should give you the edge
And mine was that if Hines Ward is a HOFer so is Steve Smith, not either-or. Not being a Super Bowl MVP shouldn’t be held against a player. Walter Payton was never a Super Bowl MVP, he sure as hell deserves to be a HOFer.

And mine was that if Hines Ward is a HOFer so is Steve Smith, not either-or. Not being a Super Bowl MVP shouldn’t be held against a player. Walter Payton was never a Super Bowl MVP, he sure as hell deserves to be a HOFer.
Even if it isn't an either or.. if it comes down to one or the other gets in on said year and they think it is a coin flip? Then in that event the HOF nomination should go to the one with the achievement. Just because he played in that big game isn't necessarily notable but earning a MVP? Yeah you did something special when you got there.

So if things are considered equal and only one of the two can get in on that induction...

Smith is known for his after the whistle fighting. The last few years he was known for that more than his play. Teams kept trying to provoke him into penalties.

Salute the nation

That is assuming that you can put in ALL deserving candidates at that one monent in time. If you can not, then each candidate must then be weighted so as to determine who goes first. I do happen to agree that BOTH Ward & Smith are deserving, but if you can only choose one at this time, then recognized achievements must be taken into account.

Your specific example is apples to orange. Sweetness was heads and shoulders above his contemporaries at the time of his selection. Ward and Smith were never a clear once in forever player during their time. They were BOTH incredible WR’s who are deserving, but have and will continue to wait their turn because their accolades were not the greatest of those to play the game. They also have and will continue to see more players above them each year going forward. It is always easier to be selected in the earlier years, not so much later.

This is why I BELIEVE Ward should have the edge over Smith. Sure we can debate the margin of tha edge, but in a perfect world, it should be acknowledged.
Ward has a Super Bowl MVP - this is not debatable
Ward‘s play resulted in rule changes to try and reduce his ability to dominate defenders.
While Smith is deserving, I believe his enshrinement should happen after Ward.

the problem is, the selection is really more of a popularity contest, accolades be damned. If it wasn’t, LC Greenwood would have gotten his jacket YEARS ago.

So every time Ward makes the semifinalist list, Bungly Bengals fans immediately start whining about Chad “OchoStinko” Johnson getting in the Hall..

Let me be blunt… Chad Johnson will NEVER get in the Hall of Fame

Johnson was a talented WR, but mostly famous because he was an asshat clownshow.

In all the major stat categories, 85 is clearly benieth 86 … now Ward himself has fringe HOF numbers as far as regular season stats go… he absolutely has a case… but when (not if) he does finally get in, it will be based on his reputation as the greatest wr blocker and more importantly, his incredibly productive stats in postseason play.

Of the current HOF wr semifinalists,
(Name- games-rec-recyds-rectds-fumbles)
Reg season:
Steve Smith——219-1031-14731-81-34
Reggie Wayne—211-1070-14345-82-10
Andre Johnson—193-1062-14185-70-10
Anquan Bouldin-202-1076-13779,82-18
Tory Holt——-—-173–930-13382-74-20
Hines Ward——-217-1000-12083-85-14

Playoffs:
Steve Smith——11-59-1001-9-1
Reggie Wayne—21-93-1254-9-2
Andre Johnson—4-25-358-1-0
Anquan Bouldin-15-70-1057-8-1
Tory Holt———-10-47-630-4-0
Hines Ward——-18-88-1181-10-0

Compare those numbers to Chad Johnson

OchoStinky——-166-766-11059-67-7
Ochostinky Playoff edition: 4-7-108-0-0

Bungle fans complaining about him not getting respect are just blockheads

Pretty sure Joe Flacco isn’t eligible, so there is that………………….

Salute the nation

Every year it's the same thing for me,why the hell isn't L.C.Greenwood going in?

I don't know who does the voting for the HOF, but they suck.

Ward should already be in, any time they change the rules to protect poor defenseless defenders who need to pay better attention, it's something. Just ask Mel Blount.

And James Harrison was a one man wrecking crew who could do it all. He's worthy.

That is assuming that you can put in ALL deserving candidates at that one monent in time. If you can not, then each candidate must then be weighted so as to determine who goes first. I do happen to agree that BOTH Ward & Smith are deserving, but if you can only choose one at this time, then recognized achievements must be taken into account.

Your specific example is apples to orange. Sweetness was heads and shoulders above his contemporaries at the time of his selection. Ward and Smith were never a clear once in forever player during their time. They were BOTH incredible WR’s who are deserving, but have and will continue to wait their turn because their accolades were not the greatest of those to play the game. They also have and will continue to see more players above them each year going forward. It is always easier to be selected in the earlier years, not so much later.

This is why I BELIEVE Ward should have the edge over Smith. Sure we can debate the margin of tha edge, but in a perfect world, it should be acknowledged.
Ward has a Super Bowl MVP - this is not debatable
Ward‘s play resulted in rule changes to try and reduce his ability to dominate defenders.
While Smith is deserving, I believe his enshrinement should happen after Ward.

the problem is, the selection is really more of a popularity contest, accolades be damned. If it wasn’t, LC Greenwood would have gotten his jacket YEARS ago.
4,000 return yards and 6 TDs > 1 Super Bowl MVP.

An example of a Super Bowl MVP that won’t be in the HOF.

Poor example, you just never know :jump: ........................ Warren Sapp is in, James HARRISON should be 1st ballot.

Salute the nation

Poor example, you just never know :jump: ........................ Warren Sapp is in, James HARRISON should be 1st ballot.

Salute the nation
Flacco and his 84 career passer rating would need to pull of a major stunt with the Browns to be considered.

Agreed, Barry Sanders was not even in a SB.......

Every year it's the same thing for me,why the hell isn't L.C.Greenwood going in?

I don't know who does the voting for the HOF, but they suck.

Ward should already be in, any time they change the rules to protect poor defenseless defenders who need to pay better attention, it's something. Just ask Mel Blount.

And James Harrison was a one man wrecking crew who could do it all. He's worthy.
James Harrison didn't kiss the commissioners *** and caused problems for him...lol I love Deebo..........

Tight End
Antonio Gates - Hall of Famer. It didn't matter if he wasn't a blocker, he was monster in the passing game and had an unreal 116 TD receptions.
I have a problem with this one...He had recently retired & his wife called me for credit repair for herself so she & Antonio could make a home purchase to qualify.

We had the Killer B's at the time & REALLY NEEDED a TE...I told her the $499 price for credit repair & ALSO told her to "tell your hubby to come out of retirement, come to the Steelers & we will go to the SB"...

She ghosted me, never returned my calls & I never heard from her again...No HOF for him