• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

69.8% completions, 29 TD's, 11 Int's, 101.6 QB rating, and 5 more rushing TD's.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
No this is not Ben, Brees or Newton. The player with the above stats last year was Kirk Cousins.

Don't underestimate him.

I fear he's going to rip up our secondary, especially is the pass rush is not doing its job.

In your opinion, what's the best type of defense and tactics to limit him, and force turnovers?

There is no doubt he is coming into his own. He had a great season last year. We need good coverage and absolutely must get consistent pressure on him. If not, Ben and crew truly will need to light it up tonight with well over 30 points.

There is an article at DK Sports today about his troubles with reading zone defenses, something we play a lot of. This is a team that was in the playoffs last year. They're not some weak *** team, but they are highly beatable.

Pretty much every QB rips our secondary apart. At least the last few seasons they have.

I've seen this show before. They pump up the Steelers tires all pre season and between the suspensions and injuries they are short handed against a high quality opponent. The Steelers lay an egg and get written off. Hopefully Tomlin has learned something and really has them ready to play but I'm not holding my breath.

Unless our defense some how shows more than they have I feel Kirky picks them apart. First game so who knows maybe our secondary will have gelled and dominate but I have a feeling there will be mental errors and Jordan Reed and Garcon eat our lunch. I think DeSean is more of just a deep threat so he probably has a big catch or two but the guys who can find the holes in the defense will do well. The good news is I feel our offense is better than their defense by a larger margin than their offense is better than our defense.

This game has so many potential pitfalls... I'm pretty nervous as I sit here.

- With all the focus on Reed, what if Vernon Davis gets loose on us? Does he still have anything left? He's just the type of big, fast, athletic TE that give the Steelers fits
- We were already sketchy at WR behind AB, now with Wheaton down, who steps up? Is Sammie Coates ready to become the man? Will DHB get the start and just be a guy out there, running interference for AB? Eli Rogers with zero professional catches... will he just stroll out there, line up and show the world that he belongs. We have so many questions here. Our WR corp could either do very well, or be brutally incompetent. Neither one would surprise me too much, really hoping these no-name, unheralded guys show that they can handle the big stage.
- Yes, Kirk Cousins is probably better than advertised. He's only done it for one season, maybe that's why he hasn't gotten the pub. But he's more than capable. Their WR's scare me a bit as well. How do does Artie Burns show in his first game? Rookie CB's got burned big time in a few games I watched yesterday, ie the kid w Cardinals. Just full on deer in the headlights, got turned around and was toast on the deep ball. Same goes for Sean Davis, who'll be guarding some quick little guys in the slot. I'll be holding my breath to see how this secondary holds up.
- On the plus side, really looking forward to seeing our front seven on D. Even with Moats in there, I think we should be pretty good.
- Besides Matt Jones, don't overlook their rookie, undrafted FA RB Rob Kelley. He was killing it in pre-seaon and many in DC were calling for him to start over Jones even if Jones checked out healthy. I hope the Steelers keep their eyes on him in the red zone and on 3rd downs, a solid, one cut guy who heads upfield at every opportunity.

The game comes down to pass rush. If the Steelers protect Ben and if they pressure Cousins, the game will be a pleasure to watch. If the Steelers cannot get pressure on Cousins but protect Ben, it will come down to late in the 4th. If the Steelers cannot get pressure on Cousins and have trouble protecting Ben ... ugh.

I ain't scared of the team from Washington.. Ben will put up 30+ and it will be enough for victory

There is an article at DK Sports today about his troubles with reading zone defenses, something we play a lot of. This is a team that was in the playoffs last year. They're not some weak *** team, but they are highly beatable.

Cousins is a bit of a gambler type, hence he can turn it over from time to time.

I would not say he's elite, but he's knocking on the door for being in the top 12 QB's. Ie, a QB that you can win with in the playoffs.

How to limit Cousins? It's got to be pressure up the middle. QB's hate that, so Hargrave could be a key factor in this game. I expect Butler to play it safe, watching out for big passing plays.

This is not the type of game where the Steelers can sit on a lead. Haley is going to need to play aggressively.

My prediction was the Steelers to win a close one, but it would nor surprise me if the game came down to a key play or two in the 4th quarter.

I am surprised so many share my fear of this game. Cousins ain't bad, and this is a MNF game with the home team is the underdog. That is a bad formula.

Plus, we know Tomlin will come in with his "mellow" vibe instead of making sure the team is fully focused. How many times have we seen it?

Plus, we know Tomlin will come in with his "mellow" vibe instead of making sure the team is fully focused. How many times have we seen it?

Mike-Tomlin-e1315510318427.jpg
mike_tomlin-pointing.jpg
mt.jpg
nfl_a_miketts_576.jpg
Mike-Tomlin-takes-blame-for-failed-Steelers-decisions.jpg

0711309001411943860_usatodaysportsimages.jpg

20160103pdSteelersSports06-1.jpg

Cold feet before the game eh ?

I think the Redskins won't know what hit them....they'll put up a brave fight but at the end....they don't have the fire power that we do.

The defense might make mistakes....but make no mistake about it this is a much faster defense with plenty of playmakers.

Redskins are going down.

Cold feet before the game eh ?

I think the Redskins won't know what hit them....they'll put up a brave fight but at the end....they don't have the fire power that we do.

The defense might make mistakes....but make no mistake about it this is a much faster defense with plenty of playmakers.

Redskins are going down.
That's the spirit!! I'm like Mike Mitchell, 'cautiously optimistic.' So fired up for this game, can't wait till kickoff!

Pretty much every QB rips our secondary apart. At least the last few seasons they have.

Seriously. Every week I enter the game assuming the opposing QB is good for 250 and a couple of scores.