• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 5

Stupid question... used to be you could jump offsides / jump into the neutral zone. But you were okay if you didn't touch/hit an offensive player and got back on sides before the snap...did something change and if so, when

I don’t really understand the northwestern coaches going for it on those two fourth downs… i mean the 4th and goal is excuseable, though taking tge field goal to make sure you are in striking distance is preferable……but in your own end with 9 minutes left down ten on a 4th and five? Thats just stupid coaching

Stupid question... used to be you could jump offsides / jump into the neutral zone. But you were okay if you didn't touch/hit an offensive player and got back on sides before the snap...did something change and if so, when
No but some teams teach their linemen to touch the guy offsides or point to get the 5 yards rather than the free shot… thus never giving them a chance to reset

What's up with Missouri putting it on Georgia? Their games against La Tech and Abilene Christian must have gotten them dialed in.

Penn State essentially ran a practice today. They had 58 rush attempts. I think they knew NW would not be able to score much at all and with the weather, they just decided to run the ball, take the W and get ready for Michigan in 2 weeks. If not for 4 fumbles by the RBs, this is probably a 20+ win.

Clifford didn't have a great day but with relatively few pass attempts, it was hard to get a rhythm. I do think the INT he threw was on the WR. Clifford led him but he stopped running. He was an inexperienced WR only playing because the starting slot WR Lambert-Smith got injured.

Penn State will likely be ranked around 8 when they face Michigan in 2 weeks. Should be a good matchup.

Franklin handed the starting job to Clifford with no competition. With the amount of freshmen QB's they have, they will lose some to transfer this year. Franklin isn't going to start Allar unless something happens to Clifford.

The only competition was with a true freshman. Very few true freshmen QBs start. Allar played each game except this one. He will start next season and possibly could start before the end of this season. maybe they will lose a QB to the portal but so will most teams. That's how college works now.

Franklin deserves credit for building up Penn State's overall talent level over years. He is starting to stack strong recruiting classes and key portal pickups each year. The freshmen and Sophs on this team are very talented. Right now, in terms of raw talent, they can match nearly any team in terms of starters. They just don't have the depth and experience yet of the top teams. They're getting there though.

I was listening to a podcast and the guy said that PSU reminds him of Clemson about 10 years back. Clemson had a lot of talent but always came up short in big games. They slowly closed the talent gap and got closer and closer. Then they got the QB, Watson and it put them over the top. Penn State is in similar territory. If Drew Allar turns out to be the star QB they hope, then PSU will be a factor in the coming years.

I had the Kentucky vs Ole Miss game on while i was doing stuff around the house, half paying attention. I was rooting for Kentucky, but didn't realize until I actually sat down to watch it late in the game that it was Ole Miss wearing the blue jerseys. So i guess i was accidentally rooting for Ole Miss.

As for kentucky, who the heck is saying QB Will Levis is a first round pick? To hear it today, he's a top 10 pick. Are you nuts? He looks the part. He's big and tough and has a strong arm but he's not a pocket passer.

I didn't get to see the Ky game, but Will fumbled on back to back possessions at the end of the game. It sounded Ky blew a lot of chances. I think they missed two extra points, had a fg blocked and turned it over on back to back possessions at the end pretty deep in Ole MIss territory.

I had the Kentucky vs Ole Miss game on while i was doing stuff around the house, half paying attention. I was rooting for Kentucky, but didn't realize until I actually sat down to watch it late in the game that it was Ole Miss wearing the blue jerseys. So i guess i was accidentally rooting for Ole Miss.

As for kentucky, who the heck is saying QB Will Levis is a first round pick? To hear it today, he's a top 10 pick. Are you nuts? He looks the part. He's big and tough and has a strong arm but he's not a pocket passer.
Levi’s is relatively close to being the consensus No. 3 in this class and he really hasn’t improved over last year. This group isn’t as deep as everyone claims it to be.

Michigan will destroy the PSU team we saw today.
Maybe but Michigan hasn't been impressive at all for their ranking. PSU will come down to Franklin's play calling (similar to dealing with Tomlin) and how Clifford plays. I have never been a fan of his and still am not.

Is that the allighty Georgia Bulldogs National chaps ???

WhoAly **** batman.

Salute the nation
I will say this as a huge GA fan

I knew we'd come out flat for some reason, seems like we always do when making that trip to what should be a Big 10 school
Then of course the matchup of their pretty good DL vs the Dogs ok OL was dictating everything to start the game

The Dogs were looking quite "Steelerish" for the first half
The OL getting zero push and when a back finally breaks a play the ghost of P nut Tillman punches the ball out from behind
The team just couldn't get out of neutral, and turnovers were killing them...simply couldn't get out of their own way

Enter Kirby Smart and what coaching adjustments look like
Actively coaching on the sidelines throughout the entire game
Installing the big set and sugar huddle to overcome the line losing the battle in the trenches

Next thing ya know, bodda boom bodda bing the running game game shifts to winning the battle in the trenches because of a few in game adjustments and the Dogs do what they do and score drive after drive overcoming their mistakes and the hole they dug

Coaching!!! Something I'd love to see here one damn time
Shades needs Kirby on speed dial for a quick half time convo when we look up and the Jets are up 17-6 at halftime

Maybe but Michigan hasn't been impressive at all for their ranking. PSU will come down to Franklin's play calling (similar to dealing with Tomlin) and how Clifford plays. I have never been a fan of his and still am not.
I don’t think anyone should be ranked before the season.
That said I think it’s impressive they win in Iowa, in other years they’ve always lost games like that.

I will say this as a huge GA fan

I knew we'd come out flat for some reason, seems like we always do when making that trip to what should be a Big 10 school
Then of course the matchup of their pretty good DL vs the Dogs ok OL was dictating everything to start the game

The Dogs were looking quite "Steelerish" for the first half
The OL getting zero push and when a back finally breaks a play the ghost of P nut Tillman punches the ball out from behind
The team just couldn't get out of neutral, and turnovers were killing them...simply couldn't get out of their own way

Enter Kirby Smart and what coaching adjustments look like
Actively coaching on the sidelines throughout the entire game
Installing the big set and sugar huddle to overcome the line losing the battle in the trenches

Next thing ya know, bodda boom bodda bing the running game game shifts to winning the battle in the trenches because of a few in game adjustments and the Dogs do what they do and score drive after drive overcoming their mistakes and the hole they dug

Coaching!!! Something I'd love to see here one damn time
Shades needs Kirby on speed dial for a quick half time convo when we look up and the Jets are up 17-6 at halftime

You and I both, ME as well, Myself included, personally agree, coaching can over come a lot provided it is applied.!

Salute the nation

Michigan will destroy the PSU team we saw today.

They have a defense that can hang with Michigan. OSU is most likely the team that will destroy them.

PSU needs more of a deep threat to even have a chance at beating OSU. And Clifford can't hit a wide open receiver down the field to save his life.

I honestly think the Offense would be better with Drew Allar. He can throw those deep routes.

UGA looking sus the past two weeks.
Hope they get it together

UGA looking sus the past two weeks.
Hope they get it together
Can’t wait to get some WRs healthy
And the run game on track

At least we have a HC that can coach/make adjustments in an adverse situation and lead to victory

Comparing my two favorites is like night and day, wish Kirby could be coaching the Steelers too

Reactions: MTC
Northwestern at 11 Penn State 3:30 ESPN PSU -25
Penn State will begin selling beer at the stadium!! That may have been the biggest storyline for this game except now there's rumors that Freshman QB Drew Allar will start and Clifford won't play. Clifford takes a beating. Maybe PSU sees an opportunity to let him get healed up for Michigan.
The only competition was with a true freshman. Very few true freshmen QBs start. Allar played each game except this one. He will start next season and possibly could start before the end of this season. maybe they will lose a QB to the portal but so will most teams. That's how college works now.

So much for those rumors, huh?

I wasn't buying that Allar would start and Clifford not play at all. But i was expecting Allar to play a lot. I'm assuming the sloppy weather changed that. It was obvious Franklin just wanted to run the ball and get out of there with the win. The RBs just kept fumbilng and keeping the score close.

Hard to say if Allar will play vs Michigan. A part of me is hoping that they have been holding back a deep passing game that they will unveil against Michigan with Allar playing a major role. More likely, they will start Clifford and see how it goes and only go to Allar if Clifford is having a really bad game.

Pickett got in and provided a spark. But he also threw a horrible INT that cost the steelers the game. You have to live with mistakes of playing a young player.

I can't see PSU contending for a championship this season. But they do have a shot at the playoff. If they can beat either MIchigan or Ohio State and finish with 1 loss, there's a real good shot they make the playoffs. Even if they ended up getting crushed in the playoff, it would be a step forward for the program and that's all I'm looking for this season.

Can’t wait to get some WRs healthy
And the run game on track

At least we have a HC that can coach/make adjustments in an adverse situation and lead to victory

Comparing my two favorites is like night and day, wish Kirby could be coaching the Steelers too
The Dawgs will be fine. Kirby adjust to weaknesses asap luckily.

Seems like Stetson is in a funk at the moment. I’d keep utilizing Bowers and Big 0 until McConkey gets his confidence back.