• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

A Changing of the Guard

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Troy Polamalu. Hines Ward. Alan Faneca. Jerome Bettis. Heath Miller. For the past 20 years, the Pittsburgh Steelers have seen tremendous talent in the locker room. These players cemented themselves on every starting roster and contributed all they had to not only start, but perform at the highest level possible. Then, as all things in life, their time came to an end and the Steelers were forced to find the “next (fill in player name here)”. With the offseason departures of Matt Feiler, Maurkice Pouncey, and most recently David DeCastro, we find ourselves in that similar position. Who will grow into the next best Steelers guard?

The Steelers have historically considered the offensive line, specifically interior offensive line, as a skill position. To put this into perspective, in the last 20 drafts, the Steelers selected at least one offensive lineman in 17 drafts. The only years they did not select any offensive linemen was 2003, 2013, and 2015. As fans, we’ve been blessed with stability in the interior lineman positions; most recently from 2016 through 2019 with Ramon Foster, Pouncey, and DeCastro. Of course, we’ve seen in-season injuries occur and other names earn starting roles, but for the most part, those three men remained a constant on offense. The 2021 season will be the first since 2009 that none of those names will be on the starting roster. That’s 12 seasons.

General Manager Kevin Colbert and Head Coach Mike Tomlin have pulled out all the stops in addressing the interior line positions so far this offseason. So far, there is only one offensive guard listed as a starter; that being 2nd year man Kevin Dotson. Behind him, we’ll find un-signed rookie Kendrick Green, B.J. Finney, Rashaad Coward, John Leglue, Aviante Collins, and recently acquired Trai Turner. I think we can agree that the competition for the starting guard spot is very much open. Assuming Dotson and Turner land the starting roles, I’d still expect to see Finney and Coward rotating in and out as well, along with Collins and Coward also. Although there is uncertainty at the starting roles, there is definitely depth available.

After seeing tenured veterans leave the team, it is no doubt the offensive line in 2021 is going to look and feel different. But if we’ve learned anything from past seasons, it is that the Steelers can still perform even with a “plug and play” offensive linemen strategy. The Steelers are no strangers to injuries and adversity along the offensive line, and new offensive line coach Adrian Klemm will have his squad ready for the rebuild that will happen this season.

Who do you think will start at guard this season? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

The guard already changed over a long time ago from Troy and his lot. I would say we are changing over from the AB and Bell guard. Two entire different culture group of men. One was a team first group. The other a me first group. Wonder what we have collected here now? I guess time will tell us soon enough.

This current squad has some players who have given insight to what to expect. BUSH has been putting out quite a message of angry man without reasoning to JuJu and his self promoting "i'm not changing" me social media promotion.

I'm not condoning or condeming either player as they are just a snap shot but this is the direction of the changing of the gaurd. We are going to get great players but also get way more social experience with the new guys, positive or negative it will be there.

Salute the nation

Reactions: MTC
Why would the OP "still expect to see backups rotating in". When did you ever see someone come in for decastro so he could take a breather.

The guard already changed over a long time ago from Troy and his lot. I would say we are changing over from the AB and Bell guard. Two entire different culture group of men. One was a team first group. The other a me first group. Wonder what we have collected here now? I guess time will tell us soon enough.

I hope the new gaurd is team first and they smash people. The black-n-blue stomp you culture. That'd be just swell.

changing of guard, theres nothing left. The steeler way is now tik tok and tantrums.
Maybe Tomlin will say "please" to JuJu this season when he asks him to lay off the tiktok.

Tj, Cam, yes even Juju.
Claypool, Fitzpatrick.

I would say it looks promising to an extent

Wasn't Bush a locker room leader in college? Maybe he becomes a captain

Times have changed, people have changed...I think it very unlikely any team has a bunch of loyal, team first players...it’s just not a culture in the workplace or life at all anymore...the Steelers are not immune to this either.

yeah we have a couple, but they are the exception rather than the norm just like every walk of life anymore...those days are long gone