• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Position Analysis - Center

Cole seldom moved anyone and was consistently getting beat on the pass rush. He's an awful snapper. I don't think there's any reason to believe anything will change next season with him.

If we're keeping him for the sake of 1.5 million cap space I'll be disappointed.
I feel like some of you live by a narrative and it really doesn't matter what evidence there is. How bout you google search Najee Harris 2023 highlights. It's an almost 8 min package and 80 percent of it is him running between the two guards.
And they gave up 36 sacks. 4th least in the league.

Mason Cole was decent in run blocking. He was terrible at pass blocking and even worse at snapping the ******* football. There are more than a few pure centers in this year's draft—Jackson-Powers Boothe from Oregon, Sedric Van Pran from Georgia, and Zach Frazier from WVU. All three are plug-and-play. After that, there has to be a little more development. I would be happy with any of the three listed above. All three are listed as 2-3 rounders.

I feel like some of you live by a narrative and it really doesn't matter what evidence there is. How bout you google search Najee Harris 2023 highlights. It's an almost 8 min package and 80 percent of it is him running between the two guards.
And they gave up 36 sacks. 4th least in the league.
Watched several of his highlight packages and your percentages are way off

Frequently you see Cole a yard in the backfield instantly, thus forcing Najee to jump cut and find a hole… usually off tackle, behind Isaac, Broderick or Darnell

The majority of his lowlight reel is due to guys running right by Cole and smashing him in the backfield tho

Please do post this great blocking highlight reels you have of Cole where 80% of Najee’s good runs are due to Cole

I’ve watched about 5-6 different ones and that was not the case in any of them
His best percentage I could document was 20%

Sure as hell ain’t moving guys like Isaac, Broderick or even Darnell does

80%, pass that loud bro

Najee Harris 2023 highlights 7 min 53 seconds it's literally one inside zone after another. We do understand that stalemates are wins in blocks right?

Powers-Johnson from Oregon
Frazier from West Virginia
Van Pran from Georgia

One or more of them will be available in round 2, and possibly round 3. I don't see how taking any one of them in the 2nd is a terrible move and if can pick one up in the 3rd round then it's a no-brainer to me.

for fun, I queued up the SF game on NFL+ and watched the condensed version and just the offensive snaps. Only focused on Mason Cole. My initial thoughts were: poor hand technique with little punch, seems weak in upper body, not particularly quick laterally. The biggest thing being strength (or lack thereof) - so, i dug up his combine results. Only 23 reps on BP. seems a bit low to me for an OL. But what do I know - I am just a layman. So, looked at his Predraft bio:

which seams to confirm those first thoughts. But like I said, I claim no expertise. I may try to isolate on him on a couple other games if time allows as this is a small sample.

I'd rather see a C doing 315lbs for 15-23 reps.

I’d rather be “centered” up on a 135 lbs, wether it’s top / bottom / or from behind——————

Salute the nation

for fun, I queued up the SF game on NFL+ and watched the condensed version and just the offensive snaps. Only focused on Mason Cole. My initial thoughts were: poor hand technique with little punch, seems weak in upper body, not particularly quick laterally. The biggest thing being strength (or lack thereof) - so, i dug up his combine results. Only 23 reps on BP. seems a bit low to me for an OL. But what do I know - I am just a layman. So, looked at his Predraft bio:

which seams to confirm those first thoughts. But like I said, I claim no expertise. I may try to isolate on him on a couple other games if time allows as this is a small sample.
Can’t count how many times I saw Mason instantly turned opening a gap for Naj to get smacked in the backfield, it was a larger number than the number of his god awful snaps…which was also a staggering high total. Dude is not good, you saw what most see from his play…subpar, below the line play

Can’t count how many times I saw Mason instantly turned opening a gap for Naj to get smacked in the backfield, it was a larger number than the number of his god awful snaps…which was also a staggering high total. Dude is not good, you saw what most see from his play…subpar, below the line play
I just watched the SF game so small sample. later I did go back and watch CLE but saw same thing but with one addition: He is slow to recognize and react to defenders moving across his face (e.g. a stunt). I should go watch some other games later in the season and maybe perhaps a couple with Mason, but my stomach can only take so much. (and yes on bad snaps - i remember many of those). I see him as a JAG. No doubt the position needs an upgrade.

Bad snaps are very problematic when trying to get the ball out quickly and on schedule

This offense has little margin for error and he begins many plays with a big error
Rudy saved several awful snaps over just the last handful of games or he would be even more highly scrutinized

Definitely trending in the wrong direction from the peak of his career a year earlier when he was somewhat serviceable

159-2

We could use some of that type of winning around here

Now that's a standard!!!

Tomlin, Khan and surprsingly, Arthur Smith are at Clemson today.

might Putnam be being eyed? the only offensive players worth a draft slot are C Putnam and RB Shipley.

Mason Cole was decent in run blocking. He was terrible at pass blocking and even worse at snapping the ******* football. There are more than a few pure centers in this year's draft—Jackson-Powers Boothe from Oregon, Sedric Van Pran from Georgia, and Zach Frazier from WVU. All three are plug-and-play. After that, there has to be a little more development. I would be happy with any of the three listed above. All three are listed as 2-3 rounders.
JPB might have jumped into the 1st round, I hope the other 2 stay in the 2nd-3rd round range.

I am somewhat surprised they have not addressed the Center position yet.