• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

A harbinger of where college sports is going, too.

Too many people are going t0 college. They are getting worthless degrees and finding themselves in huge debt and still without any real skills.

False! My degree in Lesbian Dance Theory & Race has qualified me to be a part-time adjunct teacher at the local community college, teaching Lesbian Dance Theory & Race.

it’s pretty simple. Sports are great fundraising for schools. Not just at ticket booths but as fundraisers for alumni. Some schools go too far with it and they are nearly bankrupting themselves just to win games, it some schools do it right, make money, and raise the prestige of their school in the process.

Sports are not the reason why tuition keeps going up. It’s because of federal student aid. Years ago, students had to actually pay for school with savings and some loans. Now there are grants and loans are given to anybody who signs their name. In other words, universities were able to raise their price because the market was no longer dictating the price. Most colleges have lowered their standards so that just about anybody can go to college now.

Too many people are going t0 college. They are getting worthless degrees and finding themselves in huge debt and still without any real skills. There are now tons of college graduates who are going to trade schools to learn to weld or cook, because it’s a marketable skill un;I,e their degree in some bullshit liberal arts area.

This push to pay athletes will backfire, as do all liberal ideas. If you are truly on the side of the poor athlete, the shouldn’t your goal be to see that there are as many scholarships as poss9ble? I know that the scholarship gets pushed aside as nothing, but in reality, that is the real payment. It’s on the players if they’re don’t take advantage and get a good degree.

When they start paying players, many of the smaller schools will start dropping some sports programs, particularly football which is expensive. Poof! There’s 85 fewer kids getting scholarships each year. For what? So that the fewer number of athletes get some walking around cash.

yes, it will be a great deal for the student athletes that remain. But isn’t it a huge net loss if that mean that literally thousands of kids who would have gotten a free education, are now not in college at all because so many programs were cut?

I know you are right about the federal student aid. Still, it seems unseemly with all the debt kids carry to be paying coaches 10 million a year.

College sports, with exceptions that are a tiny fraction of the schools and programs involved, are NOT money-makers. Sure, Big 10, SEC, Pac 12 schools can make money on football and basketball. Some of them, I mean.

And that's it. The majority of schools lose money on athletics as Title IX mandates that for every football scholarship granted, the school has to grant 1.1 or 1.2 scholarships to female athletes. Colleges were literally making up brand new teams and offering scholarships to female athletes to try and comply with Title IX. Google "Title IX and field hockey" if you don't believe me.

Me? If the kids want to participate in college athletics, let 'em. Do they get an "athletic scholarship," i.e., too stupid to be in the school otherwise, and money to play a sport?

**** no.

College sports, with exceptions that are a tiny fraction of the schools and programs involved, are NOT money-makers. Sure, Big 10, SEC, Pac 12 schools can make money on football and basketball. Some of them, I mean.

And that's it. The majority of schools lose money on athletics as Title IX mandates that for every football scholarship granted, the school has to grant 1.1 or 1.2 scholarships to female athletes. Colleges were literally making up brand new teams and offering scholarships to female athletes to try and comply with Title IX. Google "Title IX and field hockey" if you don't believe me.

Me? If the kids want to participate in college athletics, let 'em. Do they get an "athletic scholarship," i.e., too stupid to be in the school otherwise, and money to play a sport?

**** no.

I teach courses in Sport History, and have studied some of this. It is so true, which is why, again, it is a travesty that coaches make so much. That is another big lie of college sports, that they are money makers for schools. The lie pro sports teams use when they keep cities hostage is how much it will help local businesses. What a bunch of bullshit.

As I sit here, I wouldn't mind seeing the whole thing fall apart. Let these kids go to school and have to depend on their degrees, if they can get them, or even get into school, to make a living. I think it would be funny in a way if the dumb ***** screwed themselves.

On a side note, Florida got rid of their "Gator Bait" cheer.

I teach courses in Sport History, and have studied some of this. It is so true, which is why, again, it is a travesty that coaches make so much. That is another big lie of college sports, that they are money makers for schools. The lie pro sports teams use when they keep cities hostage is how much it will help local businesses. What a bunch of bullshit.

As I sit here, I wouldn't mind seeing the whole thing fall apart. Let these kids go to school and have to depend on their degrees, if they can get them, or even get into school, to make a living. I think it would be funny in a way if the dumb ***** screwed themselves.

It will fall apart when they start paying players. You have about 119 FBS (Div 1) football schools. It won;t take long for that number to be cut down to the power 5 conferences and then maybe a few independents or small schools.

Once money enters the equation, it will only be the big teams that can afford it. I suspect half the teams will drop down a division.

On a side note, Florida got rid of their "Gator Bait" cheer.

I hafta admit to complete ignorance here. Never in my life would I have believed that we had such sick people like this allowed to live and breath amungst us. Even back in the early 1900's.

In 1923, Time magazine reported that “colored babies were being used for alligator bait” in Chipley, Florida. “The infants are allowed to play in the shallow water while expert riflemen watch from concealment nearby. When a saurian approaches this prey, he is shot by the riflemen.”
postcard_alligator_preparing_for_lunch_panama1.jpg

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-gut-wrenching-history-of-black-babies-and-alligators/

I also don't believe that the term "gator bait" in connotation to gator football has any relevance to this sickening part of Florida history but now that I know about it....the term justifiably needs to go.....jus sayin.

With so many sports being dominated by African American athletes, get used to it. Like it or not they have the power to make or break many sports.

I do miss sports, but between the political stuff and all of the covid precautions it's not going to be the same for sure. I had hope for a vaccine but even that is going to be turned into something political. Some will say the government can't force me to get it. Some will say Trump rushed it through and his dumb statements on the medical stuff have completely eroded any trust in him.

I see no end in sight. Depressing.

Keep your laws off my body?

Have we heard that one before? It's the law of the land I've been told.

Why should I be forced to take a vaccine pushed by Bill Gates and Anthony Fauci and Big Pharma because of this nothingburger?

Last edited:
Reactions: wig
I hafta admit to complete ignorance here. Never in my life would I have believed that we had such sick people like this allowed to live and breath amungst us. Even back in the early 1900's.

I also don't believe that the term "gator bait" in connotation to gator football has any relevance to this sickening part of Florida history but now that I know about it....the term justifiably needs to go.....jus sayin.

Think about it this way. This lets you know a real war is going on. In every war, the other side trumpets real or imagined atrocities in the battle for hearts and minds.

Or course, Time Magazine would never have reported or sensationalized any Fake News -- even in 1923. Back in the old days, Fake News was known by other terms like "muckraking."

Pretty cowardly move by UF to dump a cheer and bolster the narrative that it's an institution built on white privilege.

Yawn.

This is right up there with that city Administrator getting fired years ago for accusing the city of "niggardly" financial policies.

Society has gone mad with the black virus.

No championship games or titles for Mississippi now until they remove the confederate X from the state flag- per the NCAA. Like the colleges can remove the X from the flag. It’s a state issue.

It was popularized by former player Lawrence Wright in 1995 and of course has absolutely nothing to do with its awful historic meaning and everything to do with Florida athletics. Outside of some history buffs and those looking to cancel everything, I can't imagine anyone made this type of connection and no one seemed to have a problem with it until now.

No championship games or titles for Mississippi now until they remove the confederate X from the state flag- per the NCAA. Like the colleges can remove the X from the flag. It’s a state issue.

I live in MS and I can tell the people here will tell the SEC to pound sand. It's been voted on several times. I didn't live here the last time it was voted on but it won't pass again if it's brought up. Ole Miss is a bastion of liberalism. They will probably head it up. I've heard rumors that the state senate is thinking about doing it without a vote. Heads will roll if that happens.

I live in MS and I can tell the people here will tell the SEC to pound sand. It's been voted on several times. I didn't live here the last time it was voted on but it won't pass again if it's brought up. Ole Miss is a bastion of liberalism. They will probably head it up. I've heard rumors that the state senate is thinking about doing it without a vote. Heads will roll if that happens.

I'm in SC. They'll pull it off in times of crises. There were past agreed upon compromises over the Confederate flag in SC and it was removed from the Capitol Dome in 2000 and placed at a monument to Civil War dead across the street. However, the political creature Nikki Haley quickly had it removed to a museum after the Mother Emmanuel shootings in a fit of self-confessed emotion.

If you are a Conservative out there, just warning people never to trust Nikki Haley FWIW. She packed up and left SC as soon as she could and is a climber. She, Tim Scott, and Trey Gowdy all supported Marco Rubio in the SC Primary. People like that do not care for the interests of where they come from -- only where they're going.

Last edited:
It was popularized by former player Lawrence Wright in 1995 and of course has absolutely nothing to do with its awful historic meaning and everything to do with Florida athletics. Outside of some history buffs and those looking to cancel everything, I can't imagine anyone made this type of connection and no one seemed to have a problem with it until now.

If you had tweeted this out with your name attached to it, you'd likely be fired on Monday. That's where we are now.

If you had tweeted this out with your name attached to it, you'd likely be fired on Monday. That's where we are now.

I won't even touch anything on Twitter. The cancel culture mob is strong on there. It's also one of the most hypocritical groups of people on this earth.

Tape,
Paying players is coming and that will kill many programs. Small programs are done.
I saw a report from an economist and he was saying that this covid stuff is going to ultimately destroy mid-tier colleges across the country. Folks don't believe the education is worth the money they're paying, particularly with all the remote stuff going on, and only the "premium" colleges will survive, because they can now take MORE students than ever before due to online learning.

So, you can get your online learning degree from Harvard, or Yale, or Princeton - or you can pay almost as much to get it at say... The Wisconsin School of Engineering, sister school to the University of Wisconsin. Guess how many folks are going to go with the better name degree? And that's just competition for the people still WILLING to pay that much money for what can't be defended as anything but a pretend education.