• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

"A Special Part of Football Royalty"

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
that is what Chad Brown calls playing LB for the Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a rich history in the National Football League. One that includes 6 Super Bowl victories, 29 Hall of Famers, 8 AFC Titles, and several other accolades. The list could go on and on for this franchise. It’s a franchise that prides itself on winning Super Bowls above all else. While the legacy of several positions for the Steelers is deep, there’s one position for Pittsburgh that doesn’t stop producing Hall of Fame worthy careers.
Steelers Jack Lambert Jack Ham

BALTIMORE, MD – SEPTEMBER 14, 1980: (L to R) Linebackers Jack Ham #59 and Jack Lambert #58 of the Pittsburgh Steelers watch the action from the sidelines during a game on September 14, 1980 against the Baltimore Colts at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by: Bill Amatucci Collection/Diamond Images/Getty Images)
The linebacker position for Pittsburgh carries a certain arura about it. You have to be a nasty, physical, special type of person to play linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The standard started in the 60’s with Andy Russell. Jack Lambert, and Jack Ham joined him in the 70’s. From there it transitioned to Hardy Nickerson, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland, and Chad Brown.
Brown joined NFL Network on Friday and while discussing his time in Pittsburgh he was asked about what made Pittsburgh a special place. Especially for players who play the linebacker position.

I think to be a Pittsburgh Steeler is really kinda being football royalty in some way. The traditions there, the standing all across the league. To be a Steeler linebacker is being a very special part of that football royalty. We’re watching highlights of some of these great Steelers linebackers. You mentioned some of my great Steelers’ teammates, Levon [Kirkland], Greg [Lloyd], Kevin [Greene], but let’s not forget about guys like Joey Porter, or James Harison.
You can’t think about Pittsburgh linebackers without seeing that famous photo of Lambert smiling without any teeth. Or the moment in Super Bowl X where he threw a Dallas Cowboys player down for taunting kicker Roy Gerela after a failed field goal attempt.

Steelers SI Cover

If you’re part of the younger fanbase then you will surely think of Harrison nearly decapitating Colt McCoy in a game against the Cleveland Browns. Or the time when Porter tried to walk on the Baltimore Ravens team bus after the game to fight Ray Lewis. Those type of moments depict what it means to play linebacker in Pittsburgh.
James Harrison

PITTSBURGH, PA – DECEMBER 8: James Harrison #92 of the Pittsburgh Steelers tackles Colt McCoy #12 of the Cleveland Browns during the game on December 8, 2011 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Steelers won 14-3. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)
Now TJ Watt is following in those traditions. And while rule changes have forced a ‘cleaner’ style from Watt than his predecessors, he doesn’t lack any of the above tendencies. All he’s done since he’s been with Pittsburgh is become an All-Pro and tie the single season NFL sack record. Oh, and he’s set to become the Steelers all time sack leader somewhere near the middle of the 2022 season.

So, TJ Watt is just another amazing linebacker in a long long list of amazing linebackers. The traditions there, the expectations there that come with playing Steelers linebacker. Going back to Jack Ham, and Jack Lambert. Of all the places I played, being a Steelers linebacker is definitely one of the biggest pride points that I have about my NFL career.
Playing linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers is just different.

Chad Brown was such a beast. I was so bummed when he left for Seattle. Versatile….played MLB and then switched to pass rushing dynamo due to injuries. What a starting line up at LB’s that was in the mid 90s!

Chad Brown was such a beast. I was so bummed when he left for Seattle. Versatile….played MLB and then switched to pass rushing dynamo due to injuries. What a starting line up at LB’s that was in the mid 90s!
Me too. Same with Mike Merriweather.

Chad Brown was an absolute menace. Not sure what you guys watched:D

I watched him (& his wife) whine his way out of PITTSBURGH,........ after that i coud care less what he did as he was not aSTEELERS player anymore..

Salute the nation

I played Linebacker in High School and Collage because of Jack Lambert.

I watched him (& his wife) whine his way out of PITTSBURGH,........ after that i coud care less what he did as he was not aSTEELERS player anymore..

Salute the nation

Pittsburgh didn't have good enough sushi for them. Such a pity. If only it could have been better. Just a spring roll away.

Pittsburgh didn't have good enough sushi for them. Such a pity. If only it could have been better. Just a spring roll away.
The best sushi I’ve ever had had in my life was in Arkansas… ironically where i will be this week… from a hole in the wall place behind a shopping center… Chad Brown should move tgere lol

The best sushi I’ve ever had had in my life was in Arkansas… ironically where i will be this week… from a hole in the wall place behind a shopping center… Chad Brown should move tgere lol

Yeah the moment they said that stupid ****, I was like of **** you. Go enjoy your sushi and rainy ****** Seattle weather...lol