• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Aaron Rodgers to Steelers? Pat McAfee Asked Him About Flirting with Pittsburgh

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
From the moment caught on camera in the 2nd quarter of the Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Green Bay Packers game when Mike Tomlin shared a wink and a nod with Aaron Rodgers, the thoughts of the Packer finishing his career out in Pittsburgh raced through SteelerNation, and after his comments on the Pat McAfee Show, those thoughts continued to be voiced on social media.

It started when Rodgers tried to catch the Steelers off guard while making substitutions and Tomlin called a timeout when the two exchanged glances. The announcers made sure it was noticed, but Rodgers has not been silent on his high opinion of the Steelers head coach, the organization and the city itself.

As a guest on the Pat McAfee Show, Rodgers made the following comments:

“I’ve been around a lot of Pittsburgh people over the years and I’ve loved my time with all of them. I’ve learned to speak the language really well, which has allowed me to follow and become a big fan of Pittsburgh Dad.”

“It’s a great blue-collar town. A lot of great people that live there. It’s got great history, that city. Mike Tomlin has been there forever. I have a ton of respect for Mike. I think he’s a fantastic coach. I love the way that he leads. I love the way that he talks after games. He always seems to keep things really even-keel. It looks like he’s someone the players really love playing for.”

Given the lackluster performance of Ben Roethlisberger thus far in 2021, it seems that the future Hall of Fame quarterback is certainly in his final campaign. He’s broken the 400 TD threshold, passed Dan Marino for #6 All-Time on the NFL yardage list and is poised to pass Philip Rivers to secure 5th All-Time for quite a while.

Tomlin has been supportive of Roethlisberger and responded to the question if Big Ben is the best QB for the Steelers offense in his weekly press conference:

“Absolutely. What he does and what he’s done makes me really comfortable in saying that.”

However, the 39-year-old QB who made a career out of making big plays based on his once-in-a-lifetime athleticism more than his cerebral play is finding life difficult behind an underwhelming offensive line. Already suffering from a pectoral injury, Tomlin confirmed Roethlisberger has “hip issues.” The Steelers organization has prioritized Roethlisberger for the majority of his career, showing a loyalty few players experience with other organizations. Unfortunately, Roethlisberger is trending to the worst season he’s had since recovering from nearly dying from a motorcycle accident in 2006. At any rate, it appears more likely that his competitiveness for the elusive 3rd ring will yield to his retirement season.

Rodgers has not had anything close to the relationship with the Packers that Ben has experienced with the Steelers and it’s clear he is unhappy with the direction of the Green Bay franchise. If he were to be looking at pulling a Tom Brady and find a team that could catapult him right back into that of a contender – Rodgers could be looking at a great fit in Pittsburgh. He would experience a better relationship with the team and management than he has through his career and the Steelers are a destination that makes sense.

Despite the 1-3 start, the Steelers are closer to winning than most will admit. They have been besieged by injury to the defense that has diminished their room for error and much of Roethlisberger’s struggles are largely in part due to an offensive line featuring three players in their first year of starting, including two rookies. It’s possible the unit can jell by the end of the season and will certainly have the benefit of experience in 2022.

The Steelers have some other high bargaining chips as well:

• They are projected to be in the top 10 in available cap space in 2022, which would leave room to sign Rodgers as well as add some free agents – almost certainly addressing the offensive line.
  • They are trending to be in position for the highest draft pick they have had since taking Roethlisberger #11 in 2004, giving them access to a potential immediate impact player in both first and second rounds.
  • The Steelers are loaded at the skill position with WRs – imagine what he could do with Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool, not to mention the exceptional talent of running back Najee Harris.
  • The defense is elite with T.J. Watt, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Cam Heyward and Devin Bush.

Despite signing a new deal in July, it hasn’t prevented speculation from building as it certainly has a very large “out” and no guarantee of Rodgers’ 2022 return. Rodgers turned down a contract that would have made him the highest paid player in the NFL, but the re-worked contract leaves room to set up for a potential trade and contract restructure with another team. Packers GM Brian Gutekunst has stated the organization will not trade Rodgers and Rodgers himself has downplayed the notion of angling for a trade to the Steelers, but both of these comments are to be expected – and likely reevaluated by both parties – after the season.

Overthecap.com has forecast that the 2022 cap will be approximately $208M. With the Packers committed to $275M combined with Rodgers’ cap number of $46.1M in 2022, it is untenable that Green Bay can remain compliant with the salary cap without an extension or trade. Spotrac.com reports $26M in dead cap on Rodgers “out” but the team can save over $19M with a trade.

While it would take maneuvering, the door is certainly open for a 2022 exit and Rodgers seems to be holding the cards on what his future will be. Given the the mutual discord between the front office and player and with Jordan Love waiting in the wings as the heir apparent, could Rodgers make a 2nd run at a Super Bowl late in their career with a new team in the same style that Brady and Peyton Manning did? Only this time, it would be by donning a black and gold and potentially “un-retiring” the #12?

Thoughts or comments on Rodgers to the Steelers rumors in 2022? Leave them below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Just stumbled upon this. Whatever your feelings on the situation, this is hilarious:

Just stumbled upon this. Whatever your feelings on the situation, this is hilarious:

That just made my night ******* hilarious. I am one of the few fans the would love that marriage to happen.

bahahaha that was great!

bring yoazzz to the Burgh, Aaron!!

rick-james-come-here.gif

In reality…who are possible targets for the future? Don’t shoot me…Baker Mayfield?

From the moment caught on camera in the 2nd quarter of the Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Green Bay Packers game when Mike Tomlin shared a wink and a nod with Aaron Rodgers, the thoughts of the Packer finishing his career out in Pittsburgh raced through SteelerNation, and after his comments on the Pat McAfee Show, those thoughts continued to be voiced on social media.

It started when Rodgers tried to catch the Steelers off guard while making substitutions and Tomlin called a timeout when the two exchanged glances. The announcers made sure it was noticed, but Rodgers has not been silent on his high opinion of the Steelers head coach, the organization and the city itself.

As a guest on the Pat McAfee Show, Rodgers made the following comments:

Given the lackluster performance of Ben Roethlisberger thus far in 2021, it seems that the future Hall of Fame quarterback is certainly in his final campaign. He’s broken the 400 TD threshold, passed Dan Marino for #6 All-Time on the NFL yardage list and is poised to pass Philip Rivers to secure 5th All-Time for quite a while.

Tomlin has been supportive of Roethlisberger and responded to the question if Big Ben is the best QB for the Steelers offense in his weekly press conference:

However, the 39-year-old QB who made a career out of making big plays based on his once-in-a-lifetime athleticism more than his cerebral play is finding life difficult behind an underwhelming offensive line. Already suffering from a pectoral injury, Tomlin confirmed Roethlisberger has “hip issues.” The Steelers organization has prioritized Roethlisberger for the majority of his career, showing a loyalty few players experience with other organizations. Unfortunately, Roethlisberger is trending to the worst season he’s had since recovering from nearly dying from a motorcycle accident in 2006. At any rate, it appears more likely that his competitiveness for the elusive 3rd ring will yield to his retirement season.

Rodgers has not had anything close to the relationship with the Packers that Ben has experienced with the Steelers and it’s clear he is unhappy with the direction of the Green Bay franchise. If he were to be looking at pulling a Tom Brady and find a team that could catapult him right back into that of a contender – Rodgers could be looking at a great fit in Pittsburgh. He would experience a better relationship with the team and management than he has through his career and the Steelers are a destination that makes sense.

Despite the 1-3 start, the Steelers are closer to winning than most will admit. They have been besieged by injury to the defense that has diminished their room for error and much of Roethlisberger’s struggles are largely in part due to an offensive line featuring three players in their first year of starting, including two rookies. It’s possible the unit can jell by the end of the season and will certainly have the benefit of experience in 2022.

The Steelers have some other high bargaining chips as well:

• They are projected to be in the top 10 in available cap space in 2022, which would leave room to sign Rodgers as well as add some free agents – almost certainly addressing the offensive line.
  • They are trending to be in position for the highest draft pick they have had since taking Roethlisberger #11 in 2004, giving them access to a potential immediate impact player in both first and second rounds.
  • The Steelers are loaded at the skill position with WRs – imagine what he could do with Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool, not to mention the exceptional talent of running back Najee Harris.
  • The defense is elite with T.J. Watt, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Cam Heyward and Devin Bush.

Despite signing a new deal in July, it hasn’t prevented speculation from building as it certainly has a very large “out” and no guarantee of Rodgers’ 2022 return. Rodgers turned down a contract that would have made him the highest paid player in the NFL, but the re-worked contract leaves room to set up for a potential trade and contract restructure with another team. Packers GM Brian Gutekunst has stated the organization will not trade Rodgers and Rodgers himself has downplayed the notion of angling for a trade to the Steelers, but both of these comments are to be expected – and likely reevaluated by both parties – after the season.

Overthecap.com has forecast that the 2022 cap will be approximately $208M. With the Packers committed to $275M combined with Rodgers’ cap number of $46.1M in 2022, it is untenable that Green Bay can remain compliant with the salary cap without an extension or trade. Spotrac.com reports $26M in dead cap on Rodgers “out” but the team can save over $19M with a trade.

While it would take maneuvering, the door is certainly open for a 2022 exit and Rodgers seems to be holding the cards on what his future will be. Given the the mutual discord between the front office and player and with Jordan Love waiting in the wings as the heir apparent, could Rodgers make a 2nd run at a Super Bowl late in their career with a new team in the same style that Brady and Peyton Manning did? Only this time, it would be by donning a black and gold and potentially “un-retiring” the #12?

Thoughts or comments on Rodgers to the Steelers rumors in 2022? Leave them below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
I would premature ejacu early.

In reality…who are possible targets for the future? Don’t shoot me…Baker Mayfield?
um no. hey, i like baker's moxy, but he is a quarterback that is HEAVILY dependent on having the right offense AND the right players. I can't see him having much success here.

Arron Rogers is 37 years old so you have about 3 years maybe 4 left in him. Behind this OL you have about 2 months.

How much would he cost........? Can he run the Canada offense ? Will he be making decisions on DB drafting ? What number will he wear ?

Salute the nation

Arron Rogers is 37 years old so you have about 3 years maybe 4 left in him. Behind this OL you have about 2 months.

How much would he cost........? Can he run the Canada offense ? Will he be making decisions on DB drafting ? What number will he wear ?
Assuming Rogers wants to win another SB, I can't believe he's dumb enough to want to some here and play for Shades.

That says a potential trade though. I would have to guess they would want a 1 for him even at his age. I'd be hard-pressed to give up a 1 and the salary it would take for someone at his age.

The irony... If they were to go after Rodgers and THEN address the ******* offensive line.

In fairness, they did pick up 2 "blue chip" offensive linemen... just about 10 years ago.

Signing Aaron Rodgers would be a mistake if we have to give up a high draft pick for him. He would certainly be an upgrade but for how long? We need to be thinking long ter, like after Tomlin is gone.

So he will be 38. Very short term fix. It would have to be a good deal for the team. I certainly would give up any high draft picks. This team needs to much on the OL/DL. The OL needs at least 2 blue chips on it

Signing Aaron Rodgers would be a mistake if we have to give up a high draft pick for him. He would certainly be an upgrade but for how long? We need to be thinking long ter, like after Tomlin is gone.
I dunno you think Tampa is thinking but for how long? You have a chance at a top tier franchise QB you get him.

Ok I’m thinking logically here, why the **** would he come here? First he isn’t (well I think) going to get paid. Second, does he want to get destroyed behind this O line?

If he is going somewhere it’s with a solid line, a solid run game. Does that sound like us?

Ok I’m thinking logically here, why the **** would he come here? First he isn’t (well I think) going to get paid. Second, does he want to get destroyed behind this O line?

If he is going somewhere it’s with a solid line, a solid run game. Does that sound like us?
Steelers have some good space next year. He could get paid and paid well. If the Oline progresses (not out of the realm of a possibility) Steelers reputation alone could be an attractive destination. If they don't improve? Sure that could be a knock.

You’re assuming that the OL remains static. What happens if Steelers land a Leon Searcy OT with a likely top 15 pick as they are trending? Or top level G as really good ones are often found in late 1st to early 2nd?

They have the RB.

Heck if Ben was looking more like beginning of last year I’d be thinking our chances in 2022 looked really good.

I’m glad I opened this thread or I would not have known that our defense is elite.
Especially since Devin Bush is a part of it.

I said the same thing in a FB group and the Tomlin nutsack washers are losing their ****.
I'm ready to start betting people real money. $100 that they never get to another SB with Shades (not win it, just get to it) and $50 that Shades never wins another playoff game. This could be my retirement plan.

I said the same thing in a FB group and the Tomlin nutsack washers are losing their ****.
I'm ready to start betting people real money. $100 that they never get to another SB with Shades (not win it, just get to it) and $50 that Shades never wins another playoff game. This could be my retirement plan.
I think he's simply trying to raise his value by pushing the belief that he's in demand. Reality is another matter.

Now the pundits are bringing up the Steelers as a possible trade landing spot for Russell Wilson. I just can't see us giving up multiple 1's or even one 1 but who the heck knows. He wanted out this year and they think he will demand a trade again this offseason.