• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

After 3 games, what is our biggest positional need?

Offensive coordinator
Center
ILB - still cobbling together situational guys.
Safety- Minkah could use a wingman
WR - you have to draft one every year. Need multiple starters and may not be able to keep Pickens if he blows up and demands a huge contract. WIll probably have to choose Dionte or Pickens.

CB - same as WR, need multiple quality starters. Can't have enough depth here.

RB - can't see signing Najee to a second contract unless he's willing to accept backup money

QB - if still not sure Pickett is the guy can't pass up a QB if there's one you love available.

In the draft next year, I would prioritize a DT or CB in the first and second, unless a stud C is available…
I think we probably target RB and WR in the mid rounds. Honestly they probably could just go bpa… it just depends on how leal benton and loudermilk look and how Trice rehabs…

I don’t think they will go Qb high, but i bet they grab a fifth/ sixth round one as a development guy…

Cam took 3 years to start… though that was probably because they didn’t want to bench Hood…
I would treat Trice as if he isn't going to be a factor as far as CB planning. Injuries in college and coming off an early seasonal injury you have to wonder if he will hold up or resemble Golson's path.

I would fortify CB either in free agency and or the draft. Then if Trice just so happens to shake off the injury bug it is a nice depth problem to have.

I don't think our CBs have been a bad as you guys think. The scheme makes the DBs look bad with the soft zones. Our DBs do seem to have bad ball awareness, but they have had some highly contested catches go against them.

I don't think our CBs have been a bad as you guys think. The scheme makes the DBs look bad with the soft zones. Our DBs do seem to have bad ball awareness, but they have had some highly contested catches go against them.
I agree if you are talking about in season, right now… however if you are looking long term Peterson is ancient and Wallace is one of our few ufas.

In season we are more loaded than most… the scheme a lot of times is just more give up a short pass and make a quick tackle than shut down coverage…

It's hard to know what we need. How much of our weaknesses are talent, and how much is coaching? Answer that, and we will know what we need.

I like your direct approach, no messing around. 2-scoops

Salute the nation

The CB class next draft is pretty deep and I believe the Steelers will be picking mid round (17-22) yet again. There are three solid Centers and two solid ILB to choose from in rounds two and three.

Rd 1 - CB
Rd 2 - ILB
Rd 3 - C

#1- Offensive Center
Mason Cole is a serviceable spot starting center. But that is about it. Problem is there's no real stud center in this draft. There's good hold the point guys who are good in a phone booth but aren't athletic enough to pull. And then there's guys that are super athletic but don't seem to have the technique to block and hold the point but can get out and pull in needed.
Sedrick Van Pran Georgia- Physical center who plays with a mean streak. Not the best athlete but he is willing to get out in space and hit someone. High floor low ceiling player.
Bryce Foster Texas A&M- Athletic center who has size and sand in his pants. Scheme versatile as he is an A+ athlete. Technique is far from polished. Bad hand placement and can get grabby. If not corrected probably gets lots of flags in the NFL.

#2- Right Tackle
I don't have any complaints with Washington but I would have went Dawand Jones instead. I think Jones could have been our backup RT in 2023 and would have allowed us to release Chuks before his roster bonus hit in 2024. Chuks again is serviceable. But we are paying him like he is a pro bowl RT and he isn't even top 25.
JC Latham Alabama- Probably the best RT prospect in the draft and we would likely have to use our first round pick to get him.(another reason I would have preferred Jones in the 4th last year) But he could provide stability at RT and be able to boost our run blocking to that side.
Blake Fisher Notre Dame- Another most likely RT only prospect but likely a day two guy. Big, nasty, mean and smart. Really good technique. Not the best athlete but he can survive on the right side.

#3- Defensive Line
We have a lot of "guys" but no one yet to replace Heyward. And I don't see much in the draft hopper this year. Lots of "potential" but not a lot of finished products. Usually, that pushes guys up the board and I don't like reaching. I don't think Khan is like Colbert and I think he gets value out of his draft picks so I feel free agency might be a better route to go. Problem with that there isn't much in terms of youth that will be a free agent in 2024.
Maason Smith LSU- Has all the tools but doesn't seem to always translate on the field. HIs pad level and hands leave much to be desired. Of course it took Heyward a couple of years to develop in the NFL. But Heyward was a much more refined prospect. Probably pushed into round one but his play would normally have him in that 2nd or 3rd round area.
Ruke Orhorhoro Clemson- Another good athlete who might fall a little due to his limit in position. Too lean to play DT and too slow to play DE in a 4-3. Probably a 34 DE only. He again has athleticism but his hand placement and pad level need work. He could be an ideal 2nd around pick.

#4- Inside Linebacker
Holcomb and Robert are signed for next year but Kwon is an URFA. Robinson I feel has the ability to fill Roberts shoes but we still need an every down ILB.
Jeremiah Trotter Jr Clemson- Good pedigree, fast, agressive, good in coverage. Only problem I could see is he is a little short and light. Different player than his daddy.
Barrett Carter Clemson- The other LB in Clemson but in reality they are 1a and 1b. Both are undersized but great in pursuit and can flips their hips and run with any TE.

#5- Running Back
Steelers have to decide if they want to 5th year option Najee after the season. I would guessimate the 5th year option for Najee is 7 million. Can anyone justify paying him 7 million? I also wouldn't draft a guy in round one to replace him. I would be willing to do a second day guy for an every down back or day three guy to be your power back.
Blake Corum Michigan- Corum is a faster Jaylen Warren. We have Warren locked up through 2024 then RFA for 2025. Corum could be an every down back and would protect us from both Najee and Warren leaving. He is small, faster and powerful. More of a runner and less of a pass catcher than Warren.
Will Shipley Clemson- Fast, agile, good hands. Would be a third down back. Probably a 4th round pick.
Audric Estime Notre Dame- More of a two down power back. A lot like Najee IMO. Likely a 4th or later pick.

#1- Offensive Center
Mason Cole is a serviceable spot starting center. But that is about it. Problem is there's no real stud center in this draft. There's good hold the point guys who are good in a phone booth but aren't athletic enough to pull. And then there's guys that are super athletic but don't seem to have the technique to block and hold the point but can get out and pull in needed.
Sedrick Van Pran Georgia- Physical center who plays with a mean streak. Not the best athlete but he is willing to get out in space and hit someone. High floor low ceiling player.
Bryce Foster Texas A&M- Athletic center who has size and sand in his pants. Scheme versatile as he is an A+ athlete. Technique is far from polished. Bad hand placement and can get grabby. If not corrected probably gets lots of flags in the NFL.

#2- Right Tackle
I don't have any complaints with Washington but I would have went Dawand Jones instead. I think Jones could have been our backup RT in 2023 and would have allowed us to release Chuks before his roster bonus hit in 2024. Chuks again is serviceable. But we are paying him like he is a pro bowl RT and he isn't even top 25.
JC Latham Alabama- Probably the best RT prospect in the draft and we would likely have to use our first round pick to get him.(another reason I would have preferred Jones in the 4th last year) But he could provide stability at RT and be able to boost our run blocking to that side.
Blake Fisher Notre Dame- Another most likely RT only prospect but likely a day two guy. Big, nasty, mean and smart. Really good technique. Not the best athlete but he can survive on the right side.

#3- Defensive Line
We have a lot of "guys" but no one yet to replace Heyward. And I don't see much in the draft hopper this year. Lots of "potential" but not a lot of finished products. Usually, that pushes guys up the board and I don't like reaching. I don't think Khan is like Colbert and I think he gets value out of his draft picks so I feel free agency might be a better route to go. Problem with that there isn't much in terms of youth that will be a free agent in 2024.
Maason Smith LSU- Has all the tools but doesn't seem to always translate on the field. HIs pad level and hands leave much to be desired. Of course it took Heyward a couple of years to develop in the NFL. But Heyward was a much more refined prospect. Probably pushed into round one but his play would normally have him in that 2nd or 3rd round area.
Ruke Orhorhoro Clemson- Another good athlete who might fall a little due to his limit in position. Too lean to play DT and too slow to play DE in a 4-3. Probably a 34 DE only. He again has athleticism but his hand placement and pad level need work. He could be an ideal 2nd around pick.

#4- Inside Linebacker
Holcomb and Robert are signed for next year but Kwon is an URFA. Robinson I feel has the ability to fill Roberts shoes but we still need an every down ILB.
Jeremiah Trotter Jr Clemson- Good pedigree, fast, agressive, good in coverage. Only problem I could see is he is a little short and light. Different player than his daddy.
Barrett Carter Clemson- The other LB in Clemson but in reality they are 1a and 1b. Both are undersized but great in pursuit and can flips their hips and run with any TE.

#5- Running Back
Steelers have to decide if they want to 5th year option Najee after the season. I would guessimate the 5th year option for Najee is 7 million. Can anyone justify paying him 7 million? I also wouldn't draft a guy in round one to replace him. I would be willing to do a second day guy for an every down back or day three guy to be your power back.
Blake Corum Michigan- Corum is a faster Jaylen Warren. We have Warren locked up through 2024 then RFA for 2025. Corum could be an every down back and would protect us from both Najee and Warren leaving. He is small, faster and powerful. More of a runner and less of a pass catcher than Warren.
Will Shipley Clemson- Fast, agile, good hands. Would be a third down back. Probably a 4th round pick.
Audric Estime Notre Dame- More of a two down power back. A lot like Najee IMO. Likely a 4th or later pick.

Meh just look for tge NFL bloodlines and you will find our potential targets🤣

I think it's the RB room. While some of the problem may be the O-line, the majority of the issue is Najee and his dancing feet and lack of vision. He has one or two runs a game that go for 12-15 yards. Everything else gets stopped at the LOS. He doesn't see the hole and hit the hole fast enough to get those 4-6 yard carries. They are constantly in 2nd and 9 situations. Warren is the better RB, but I think it will take Najee missing a game before the coaches realize it.

I think it's the RB room. While some of the problem may be the O-line, the majority of the issue is Najee and his dancing feet and lack of vision. He has one or two runs a game that go for 12-15 yards. Everything else gets stopped at the LOS. He doesn't see the hole and hit the hole fast enough to get those 4-6 yard carries. They are constantly in 2nd and 9 situations. Warren is the better RB, but I think it will take Najee missing a game before the coaches realize it.
100%. But draft value pushes RB's down boards... usually. If we get a mauler RT, and an upgrade at OC a 3rd round or less pick RB probably looks a lot better. I think we really need to start giving the ball to the RB with the hot hand. I feel sorry for Najee because he is a nice kid but he is slow and very indecisive. We need quick and hit the hole fast.

Both RBs have been hit behind the line an insulting % of plays. There's no ******* hole when they tackle you as soon as you get the ball, I'm not saying najee is the 2nd coming of Franco but no RB is getting a decent shot by the play calling first (too predictable) and the OL (lacks push)

I think that the best value is at interior OL. A team could get three maulers and an average RB and be one of the top rushing teams in the league for a relatively cheap price.

Both RBs have been hit behind the line an insulting % of plays. There's no ******* hole when they tackle you as soon as you get the ball, I'm not saying najee is the 2nd coming of Franco but no RB is getting a decent shot by the play calling first (too predictable) and the OL (lacks push)
Some of that is play design too. Enough of the draw plays already!!! Everyone knows it's coming.

Id dont really have a clear opinion…

The Oline hasn’t been great at all… but I feel like that is scheme more than anything.. id say Tackle, but Jones is on the bench ready to go… maybe an upgrade at C… but I don’t think anyone better than Cole is available… and he is OK..

WR is fine and we are getting DJ back soon

TE is deep and underused

RB just needs a fixed oline

On D we could use a consistently impactful DL… but Heyward will be back in the second half for tge stretch and Benton is already beginning to move up the impact charts..

The Olbs are great.
The ILBs are fine and Robinson is progressing nicely
The Safeties are solid to spectacular… no need there
The CBs have been extremely inconsistent but that is a position that should solidify once communication issues are addressed and Porter replaces Wallace or Peterson full time on the edge..

… i don’t really think an upgrade is a necessity in any one spot…
Coaches at all spots. All of them!!!!!!

Maybe they just need to replace some guys with other guys they have and try that first. Put Jones in at LT. It's time. Maybe see what Herbig can do at center. Porter at corner.

I personally think it is too early to tell. 3 games in. But for next years draft, I would not mind a repeat of this past years top 3 picks in any order. oline,cb,dline.