• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

After Claypool trade mock draft

I want to see it too but the Steelers feel like the only NFL that doesn’t ever have a backup or inexperienced QB ever have a breakout performance.
Tommy Maddox was okay at times until Ben came around. Then Ben had almost all of the time under center for almost 2 decades.

We better address the OL and DL early and often next draft.

What about Siaki Ika? Big 352lb NT (Baylor) type, depending on how he tests and finishes the season, he could be our first or one of our early 2nd picks. His tape doesn't always show him making the play, but he forces alot of plays to go nowhere simply by blowing up the blocking at LOS. I'm very intrigued and will be keeping my eye on him.

What about Siaki Ika? Big 352lb NT (Baylor) type, depending on how he tests and finishes the season, he could be our first or one of our early 2nd picks. His tape doesn't always show him making the play, but he forces alot of plays to go nowhere simply by blowing up the blocking at LOS. I'm very intrigued and will be keeping my eye on him.
Steelers are current 6th in rushing yards a game and 6th in rushing yards per carry for a defense. Top 10 isn't bad. I am all for beefing up the D-line but I think we have bigger needs. We currently rank 30th in passing yards a game, 30th in passing TD's given up, but 6th in INT's.

Needs in my opinion.
#1- LT
#2- ILB
#3- CB
#4- DL
#5- RB
#6- Punter
#7- Center

The way I would draft is if value and need doesn't meet. Meaning if a top 2 or 3 need (depending on team health) doesn't fall to you or can't move up to get you should try to trade back or take the best player available regardless of position. I would rather have an abundance of talent at one position than over drafting a position because of need and still just have the same need for the next 3-4 years. I mean Jarvis Jones didn't fix our edge rusher need. Artie Burns didn't fix our CB need.

Steelers are current 6th in rushing yards a game and 6th in rushing yards per carry for a defense. Top 10 isn't bad. I am all for beefing up the D-line but I think we have bigger needs. We currently rank 30th in passing yards a game, 30th in passing TD's given up, but 6th in INT's.

Needs in my opinion.
#1- LT
#2- ILB
#3- CB
#4- DL
#5- RB
#6- Punter
#7- Center

The way I would draft is if value and need doesn't meet. Meaning if a top 2 or 3 need (depending on team health) doesn't fall to you or can't move up to get you should try to trade back or take the best player available regardless of position. I would rather have an abundance of talent at one position than over drafting a position because of need and still just have the same need for the next 3-4 years. I mean Jarvis Jones didn't fix our edge rusher need. Artie Burns didn't fix our CB need.
I agree as long as the FO re-signs Larry O or brings another mauler at DT. Then they could draft a true NT in the 3rd round and be complete with cam and leal + loudermilk as the backup.

Starters: Cam - rookie - Larry O
Rotationals: Leal , Loudermilk, adams.

I agree as long as the FO re-signs Larry O or brings another mauler at DT. Then they could draft a true NT in the 3rd round and be complete with cam and leal + loudermilk as the backup.

Starters: Cam - rookie - Larry O
Rotationals: Leal , Loudermilk, adams.
Larry definitely dictates DL drafting, but Cam's age factors in too. Lot of question marks with this group, too many for it to be a low concern. Saying that there is higher concerns sure. LT/LG, A true number one WR, a true number one CB.

I would rank it

1 LT
2 CB
3 WR/DE

Enough here to go BPA. Which very well could be LT where they stand today in the draft pecking order.

Larry definitely dictates DL drafting, but Cam's age factors in too. Lot of question marks with this group, too many for it to be a low concern. Saying that there is higher concerns sure. LT/LG, A true number one WR, a true number one CB.

I would rank it

1 LT
2 CB
3 WR/DE

Enough here to go BPA. Which very well could be LT where they stand today in the draft pecking order.
Yeap, I do think next season Leal could be a starter lowering Cam's workload.

Interesting stat. Dan Moore Jr rated 5th at 89.6 last week for all offensive players. Maybe he can turn it around this season still.

OL and DL are 1A and 1B. Heyward is done in a year or two. Alualu is gone. Ogonjobi is probably gone in a year, at most. Leal is going to be pretty good. Who knows about Loudermilk since they won't play him. We absolutely need to grab at least one top DL with our 1st or 2nd round pick. I still stick with the best Big Uglies with our 1st 2 picks and 3 out of our 1st 4 picks. Everything starts there, period.

Interesting stat. Dan Moore Jr rated 5th at 89.6 last week for all offensive players. Maybe he can turn it around this season still.
I think he has improved but arguably he can still be upgraded. Very curious who they feel needs upgrading more LT or LG or will BPA bring them in another direction.

I'm surprised Moore didn't take a huge leap this year. Dotson is just a disappointment. I don't know if he will get much better. I think the ceiling for Moore is higher. But, if a top LT (preferably the top and not some reach the Steelers think is the top but everyone else has as a 2nd or 3rd rounder) is sitting there in Rd. 1, it would be hard not to take him.

I honestly feel Moore is a pro bowl guard. If we can get a LT in the draft and move Moore inside we might end up with a top 10 line next year.

OL and DL are 1A and 1B. Heyward is done in a year or two. Alualu is gone. Ogonjobi is probably gone in a year, at most. Leal is going to be pretty good. Who knows about Loudermilk since they won't play him. We absolutely need to grab at least one top DL with our 1st or 2nd round pick. I still stick with the best Big Uglies with our 1st 2 picks and 3 out of our 1st 4 picks. Everything starts there, period.
The whole Loudermilk not playing situation reminds me of how they stubbornly refused to even rotate Cam (a 1st round pick) into the lineup his first year or two. He (like Loudermilk last year) only got playing time during those years when someone was banged up.

Needs in my opinion.
#1- LT
#2- ILB
#3- CB
#4- DL
#5- RB
#6- Punter
#7- Center

This is a pretty good list, though, ILB is just terrible value in the first round. The money spot for this position is in the second or third. The Steelers need premium players in the first round and I'd be looking at LT or CB with the first pick. Although not a top need, I'd rather get a stud receiver than try for an ILB in the first as well. Just a personal draft philosophy.

For fun, here's a 7-round mock draft: https://www.draftcountdown.com/mock-drafts/2023-7-round-mock-draft-rounds-1-3-shane-4-0/ and my 3-round mock (don't know enough for 7 rounds):

1.10 Kylee Ringo, CB, Georgia
-I'm not sure about the OL available here so I'm going with a productive cornerback with elite athletic traits. Maybe Tape can give some insight on Olumuyiwa Fashanu. He seems to be a fast rising name for draft writers.

2.37 Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson
-Athletic ILB who can maybe finally be the answer the Steelers are looking for.

2.41 John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota
-Mason Cole has been decent, but I'm looking for a long-term answer and Schmitz has good size at 6'4" 320. You can shift Cole to LG in place of Dotson.

3.73 Andrew Vorhees, OL, USC
Played guard (both sides) and tackle and has plenty of starting experience. Older at 24 years old on draft day, his upside isn't particularly high, but the Steelers need a steady presence on the interior of the line.

With the win we are predicted to draft 10th.

RD1- Paris Johnson Jr OT OSU
Dan Moore has been playing better but we are in need of an upgrade. I feel we can upgrade LG and LT with this pick.

RD2a- Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR OSU
Go back to the buckeye well again. Jaxon lead the team in receiving ahead of Garrett Wilson (10th overall) and Chris Olave (11th overall) in 2021. An ankle injury hampered him so offseason will be important but if he would fall this is a great pick.

Trade: Steelers trade Dontae Johnson to Packers for their 2nd, 5th, and 7th round picks. Drafting Jaxon makes DJ expendable and as DJ will be on the last year of his contract we save money and don't have to re-sign him to a huge contract.

RD2b- Emmanuel Forbes CB Miss State
Steelers have some depth with mid tier corners but are in need of a true lock down guy. Forbes probably doesn't test the best but he is a confident corner who wants the ball when it is in the air. He already has 13 picks in just three seasons. (and counting)

RD2c- BJ Ojulari Edge LSU
Some might question this pick but as we can all see our defense is different without TJ. Watt and TJ will turn 29 next year. Steelers also will have Highsmith hitting free agency after 2023. This gives us depth now an insurance in case we can't resign Highsmith. Ojulari imo is the best passrusher in this draft. His combination of speed, strength and hands make him a dangerous defender to handle. I also think he is ascending and will improve vastly over the next couple of seasons.

RD3- Jack Campbell ILB Iowa
Probably won't blow the cover off of you with athleticism but he is an above average athlete and initially recruited as TE. Very smart player and outstanding tackler. Fills the hole and runs through the trash well. Isn't a slouch in coverage. Might be a tough transition running with todays athletic TE's but he holds his own in College. An above average blitzer. I think at very least he's an upgrade over Bush.

RD4- Lukas Van Ness DL Iowa
Reminds me a lot of Brett Keisel. At 6-5 270lbs he isn't quite big enough to play the 5 technique in the NFL but his frame can easily ad 25lbs. Very good motor, agile, and football IQ.

RD5- Zack Kuntz TE Old Dominion
At 6-8 with a 4.57 forty Kuntz is a physical freak. He is a red zone nightmare and would pair nicely with Freiermuth. Gentry is likely gone so another TE is needed.

RD7a- Matthew Bergeron OL Syracuse
More of a utility lineman who can play tackle and guard. Depth piece the Steelers used to draft all the time.

RD7b- Jacob Slade DL Michigan State
Another depth piece. Slade is a tough block eater and run stuffer in the middle. He has a decent bull rush when call on but his bread and butter will be tying up the offensive line so other guys can make plays.

Tomlin will screw things up and we will end up drafting around 15. LOL. He can't get anything right. LOL some more.

Real nice draft, Ford. Trading basically DJ for Jaxon Smith-Njigba would be an electric move.

Real nice draft, Ford. Trading basically DJ for Jaxon Smith-Njigba would be an electric move.
Has Jaxon even played this year? I get the talent but getting rid of Johnson in the process who has managed to stay healthy... I dunno I would like the move without trading away DJ.

Has Jaxon even played this year? I get the talent but getting rid of Johnson in the process who has managed to stay healthy... I dunno I would like the move without trading away DJ.
He's played in three games this year, but his hamstring has been an issue. I don't even know if he'll enter the draft, however, if he does it would almost be like the guys who opted to sit out a season. He was the best and most productive OSU receiver last year and the other two guys are having pretty good rookie seasons in the NFL.

DJ is only signed through 2023. With the money thrown at Christian Kirk I would be worried trying to sign him long term. I would guess he'd want 20+ million minimum and maybe upwards of 24+. Especially looking at our current QB situation he likely would want a max deal with us to resign and might be willing to take less with incentives with a team not in transition. Getting Jaxon who has Chase and Jefferson type talent in the second is a bit of risk vs reward. Risking a known commodity and the injury concern for Jaxon is a roll of the dice. But since we'd have him locked up for about 2 million a year for 4 years on a team rebuilding I would take that gamble all day every day. If this was 2019 with an aging Roethlisberger but trying to make one last run I would keep DJ. Different teams in different phases.

Needs in my opinion.
#1- LT
#2- ILB
#3- CB
#4- DL
#5- RB
#6- Punter
#7- Center

How is RB a need at all? Both Harris and Warren looked excellent against the Saints.

How is RB a need at all? Both Harris and Warren looked excellent against the Saints.
One game versus a poor defense. Also, Snell is likely gone next year and I am calling it the 5th ranked need barely above punter.