• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Air Force Secretary: 'No regrets' on retiring A-10

Spike

Reaction score
I am ashamed...

Air Force Secretary Deborah James said she has no regrets about attempting to retire the A-10 fighter jet, despite its current use in the war against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

"No. I do not [regret it]," she said Thursday at a Pentagon briefing on the state of the Air Force. "The A-10 is a great contributor, but so are the other aircraft."

James said the A-10s are contributing about 11 percent of sorties against ISIS.

The Air Force wants to retire the A-10, a Cold War-era jet that has provided close air support for ground troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, to save $4 billion over five years.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/procurement/229723-air-force-secretary-no-regrets-on-retiring-a-10

-----------------------------

oh yes, they should be retired. They might give the US an unfair advantage over the worshipers of Muḥammad while the half a trillion dollar F-35 STILL CAN'T FIRE IT'S GUNS

I want my disability bumped up damn it - and I DEMAND A FRACKING OIL REFUND

We need to continue the A10. We also need a prop driven plane like the old A1 Skyraider. Both need to belong to the army. Let the Airscouts concentrate on deep strike and air superiority. Get the USAF out if of the CAS business since they aren't really interested in that mission anyway.

They could have easily kept the A-10 if they didn't add so much requirement creep to the F-35 platform. This new Air Force is all about the shiny-fast with the Star Wars pilot helmet....no time for a slow-ulgy flying machine gun.

Wonder how many US Marines, Army and other grunts, etal. have "no regrets"? The A10 is God in CQC support and an absolutely devastating and proven weapon. WTF?

I understand that the military needs to stay ahead of the curve. However the A-10 is the best close support aircraft available. It's a flying tank. There is no reason to get rid of something that works so well.

Why not? The Wishbone offense used to be pretty good too? :rolleyes:

U.S. Wild Boar aircraft inspires terror in ISIS ranks in Mosul

The U.S. aircraft A-10 Warthog (Wild Boar) carried out, at dawn today, four air strikes on gatherings of ISIS elements in the village of Sultan Abdullah in Makhmour district, southeast Mosul,” adding that, “The raids resulted in the death and injury of dozens of ISIS elements.”

The aircraft sparked panic in the ranks of ISIS after bombing its elements and flying in spaces close to the ground,” adding that, “Elements of the terrorist organization targeted the aircraft with 4 Strela missiles and but that did not cause it any damage, prompting the remaining elements of the organization to leave the bodies of their dead and carry the wounded to escape towards the Shirqat district (120 km north of Tikrit).”

http://www.iraqinews.com/iraq-war/u-s-wild-boar-aircraft-inspires-terror-isis-ranks-mosul/

a-10-thunderbolt-ii_011.jpg

The Hand of God

My father was a Air force pilot and I grew up around planes.

The A-10 is my all time favorite, **** this *******. A-10 pilots have balls of steel unlike the pretty boy fighter jocks.

The Warthog is a beast.

But correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't the Apache helicopter become the close ground support weapon of choice?

The Warthog is a beast.

But correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't the Apache helicopter become the close ground support weapon of choice?

The two compliment each other. The A10 has an advantage in payload and range. Rotary wing aircraft are limited in higher elevations where fixed wing aircraft are not as well.

In the new world order, a 1-2 punch is not allowed. The Warthog crews should be taken from the Air Force and given to the Army.