• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

And here's the thing ...

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers beat the Bucaneers. That was a well-earned victory. But they beat the Bungles because of a freaking blocked extra point. They are 2-6 for a reason and really deserve to be 1-7. Those are the facts.

Also, this current management group - from the GM to the coach to the assistant coaches - has never rebuilt a team. A rebuild requires a knowing strategy. This group gives me zero hope they can do that. All of their moves are "use toothpaste to cover the hole in the drywall" theory. They don't have the ability to trade their best players for draft picks and engage in a genuine rebuild.

Because of the team's very plain talent deficit, they need to improve at MULTIPLE key positions: LT, OG, C, WR1, CB, ILB, DE. That means at least 2-3 drafts before they get top-level talent at those key positions - and that assumes Pickett is a hell of a lot better than we have seen so far. If they also need a QB ... not good.

So do we have the faith that Khan and Tomlin can rebuild a team, and I mean genuinely rebuild this team after a tear-down to the studs? I don't. Tomlin's refusal to improve the OL, DL, or CB positions over the past 5 drafts shows an irritating obstinance by these guys that have a secret that no other personnel management decision-makers in the NFL have ever figured out. Early picks on big guys for the OL and DL? Pffft ... what a waste. Get those incredible secret underrated guys like Terrell Edmunds, Artie Burns, and Devin Bush. Don't waste early picks on the trenches - get gems like Kendrick Green and Kevin Dotson in the 3rd or 4th.

So get a 3rd round pick for Claypool? Khan appears uninterested. Why? Does management believe that Chase Claypool is the difference between 3 wins and 13 wins??

Thing is when coaching sucks on a bushel of Antonio's gummy bears it really masks what needs to be done to right the ship. We can say this player position etc. But they had a very busy offseason. Yet here we are. We can say what if they have good drafts, but does it really make any kind of real meaningful outcome with the same bad decision makers employed?

I really disagree on the receivers. We should be fine with better coaching there.

Then why are they NEVER open when they run a fly pattern? For the billion short passes Pickett throws, shouldn't the CB's be jumping routes and giving WR's long TD opportunities?

No, because DJ and Claypool are OK. Good-not-great. Pickens has a lot of talent but every catch is contested. He can't seem to get open.

Then why are they NEVER open when they run a fly pattern? For the billion short passes Pickett throws, shouldn't the CB's be jumping routes and giving WR's long TD opportunities?

No, because DJ and Claypool are OK. Good-not-great. Pickens has a lot of talent but every catch is contested. He can't seem to get open.
Scheme and coaching. Perhaps they spend too little time trying to work those routes and be on the same page. While spending too much time on their short area gadget masterpieces.

Part of that is scheme. Unfortunately we see O'Canada's play calls and the 1 in 10 is a good play and it gives us hope. The other nine are scheme deficiencies catered to short curls / catch / player make a play which is all fine in college but in the pro's it doesn't work that way.

Until coaching is changed, top on down, there will be no improvement. Even if a new OC is brought in you will still have the HC thumb-print all over the "O".

Salute the nation

I would like to think that if they end up with a top 5 pick, they wouldn't screw it up, but I can't.
Evaluating talent and coaching up what you have isn't the current brain trusts forte.
The question is, does Mr. Rooney want successful seasons or virtue signaling?
With the proper front office and coaching Pickett will be fine, keep the status quo and they will destroy him.

Part of that is scheme. Unfortunately we see O'Canada's play calls and the 1 in 10 is a good play and it gives us hope. The other nine are scheme deficiencies catered to short curls / catch / player make a play which is all fine in college but in the pro's it doesn't work that way.

Until coaching is changed, top on down, there will be no improvement. Even if a new OC is brought in you will still have the HC thumb-print all over the "O".

Salute the nation
And not being able to run the ball consistently. Safeties never have to cheat down..no reason to.

Face it. The Steelers are not currently a good team. Other than Watt, if you were a GM, is there a player on our roster you'd give up a first or second round draft pick for?

We're in the doldrums. It happens. Personally I don't expect a quick turnaround with the coaches we have because they managed to produce mediocrity with above average talent. Maybe I'm wrong. Time will tell.

Teams have been stacking the line and playing the pass for over 3 years now. The Steelers don't have a running game. It's a one dimensional offense.

They've actually made it even easier to defend by the ridiculous offense they continue to run that the average fan could gameplan for.

The only way this starts to get fixed and I emphasize starts, clean house after the season.
Lots of young, innovative coordinators out there with fresh ideas to breath fresh life into this organization.
Tomlin had his run here, 16 seasons which is a lifetime in the NFL, and he’s got a SB on his resume and impressive won loss record whether that was more Ben, it’s still his resume.
There is always time in life especially in sports when it’s good for both parties to begin a new start. After this season I think is that time.
Tomlin has far too much control and input and it’s just not working any longer.
Let Andy Weidel and Omar run the draft especially Andy who was instrumental in building the Eagles.
Bring in a young, innovative coach that can work with Kenny’s skill set and let him hire his staff and hire QUALIFIED Coordinators and position coaches. Maybe Coach Flores if not
considered for a HC job elsewhere, offer him the Defensive Coordinator job.
Clean house after the season imo.

Teams have been stacking the line and playing the pass for over 3 years now. The Steelers don't have a running game. It's a one dimensional offense.

They've actually made it even easier to defend by the ridiculous offense they continue to run that the average fan could gameplan for.

It's funny you should say that as I was talking to a friend. We call each other weekly (he lives aways away) and talk STEELERS, he is that towns DC high school. I told him near the exact same thing you said and he was in agreence. I described how I would coverage and attach this O and he said that's exactly the thing. Sell out on the pass and know the run game is squat and easy to take care of, especialy when the middle isn't used.

He also said dictate to thereoffense as they (OC steelers) have NO REACTIONARY IQ. Politely saying he is dumber than ****.

Salute the nation

I would like to think that if they end up with a top 5 pick, they wouldn't screw it up, but I can't.
Evaluating talent and coaching up what you have isn't the current brain trusts forte.
The question is, does Mr. Rooney want successful seasons or virtue signaling?
With the proper front office and coaching Pickett will be fine, keep the status quo and they will destroy him.
They do pretty good drafting WR's and RB's, everyone else not so much.

They do pretty good drafting WR's and RB's, everyone else not so much.

A-N-D

We drafted a high round WR last draft even knowing we needed "Trench Warfare" players deperately !!!

Salute the nation

If Tom Brady wasn't going through a divorce and the blocked PAT you mentioned had not happened we would be 0-8.....chew on that for a while everybody.
Tomlin loves a perfect season

The only way this starts to get fixed and I emphasize starts, clean house after the season.
Lots of young, innovative coordinators out there with fresh ideas to breath fresh life into this organization.
Tomlin had his run here, 16 seasons which is a lifetime in the NFL, and he’s got a SB on his resume and impressive won loss record whether that was more Ben, it’s still his resume.
There is always time in life especially in sports when it’s good for both parties to begin a new start. After this season I think is that time.
Tomlin has far too much control and input and it’s just not working any longer.
Let Andy Weidel and Omar run the draft especially Andy who was instrumental in building the Eagles.
Bring in a young, innovative coach that can work with Kenny’s skill set and let him hire his staff and hire QUALIFIED Coordinators and position coaches. Maybe Coach Flores if not
considered for a HC job elsewhere, offer him the Defensive Coordinator job.
Clean house after the season imo.
Flores got the Dolphins turned around and headed in a positive direction after Miami had only had one winning season in the prior ten. I'd like to see what he could accomplish as the head man in Pittsburgh. Tomlin's schtick has become stale, and that non-losing season streak is coming to a violent halt here in 2022. Time for a change.

The only untouchable players for me on this team would be Watt, Heyward, and Boswell.

Everyone else is fair game.

This team must be the easiest team in the entire NFL to game plan and play against. Our coaching staff never adapts and we are so predictable. Changes NEED to happen if this team is going to win again.

Get some big *** road graders on the Oline to protect your young QB. Start rotating RBs and whoever plays better gets the touches. Make them earn their snaps. Fire Canada and force Tomlin to call the plays so everyone can see that he has no idea what he’s doing and can’t adapt to anything. Then get rid of him as well. Bring coaching in from outside of the 412 and create a exciting offense again.

It unfortunately needs to get worse before it will get better.

I will watch every game and cheer on my team. But I’ll stand behind my comments this team will not sniff the playoffs again until Tomlin is gone.

The Steelers beat the Bucaneers. That was a well-earned victory. But they beat the Bungles because of a freaking blocked extra point. They are 2-6 for a reason and really deserve to be 1-7. Those are the facts.

Also, this current management group - from the GM to the coach to the assistant coaches - has never rebuilt a team. A rebuild requires a knowing strategy. This group gives me zero hope they can do that. All of their moves are "use toothpaste to cover the hole in the drywall" theory. They don't have the ability to trade their best players for draft picks and engage in a genuine rebuild.

Because of the team's very plain talent deficit, they need to improve at MULTIPLE key positions: LT, OG, C, WR1, CB, ILB, DE. That means at least 2-3 drafts before they get top-level talent at those key positions - and that assumes Pickett is a hell of a lot better than we have seen so far. If they also need a QB ... not good.

So do we have the faith that Khan and Tomlin can rebuild a team, and I mean genuinely rebuild this team after a tear-down to the studs? I don't. Tomlin's refusal to improve the OL, DL, or CB positions over the past 5 drafts shows an irritating obstinance by these guys that have a secret that no other personnel management decision-makers in the NFL have ever figured out. Early picks on big guys for the OL and DL? Pffft ... what a waste. Get those incredible secret underrated guys like Terrell Edmunds, Artie Burns, and Devin Bush. Don't waste early picks on the trenches - get gems like Kendrick Green and Kevin Dotson in the 3rd or 4th.

So get a 3rd round pick for Claypool? Khan appears uninterested. Why? Does management believe that Chase Claypool is the difference between 3 wins and 13 wins??

The total neglect of both lines high in the draft over the past decade is just inexcusable.

At least we've spent 140,000 second round picks in a row on receivers, with absolutely jaw dropping production to show for it.

Tomlin deserves much of the blame for what we're seeing now, but Colbert deserves just as much.

The running game has been at the bottom of the league for five consecutive seasons now and the secondary might be the worst in the league despite the Steelers spending a lot of money there.

Honestly, Tomlin should have left with Colbert and Ben, so the page could legitimately be turned and a true rebuild could begin. Instead, we got another year pissing in the wind with it blowing back in our faces under Tomlin.

Letting Colbert conduct the last off-season with one foot out the door was pure stupidity, and they should have gone outside the organization to replace him, as a fresh perspective is sorely needed.

I hate to say it, but the Steelers' overly rigid and conservative way of doing things is being left in the dust. The league is evolving beyond it with all the aggressive personnel/coaching moves and scheme innovation going on.

The Eagles seem to have a decent grasp on what they're doing, so the scouting director Khan poached from them may prove valuable, though Khan is the one making the decisions with Tomlin.

The total neglect of both lines high in the draft over the past decade is just inexcusable.

At least we've spent 140,000 second round picks in a row on receivers, with absolutely jaw dropping production to show for it.

Tomlin deserves much of the blame for what we're seeing now, but Colbert deserves just as much.

The running game has been at the bottom of the league for five consecutive seasons now and the secondary might be the worst in the league despite the Steelers spending a lot of money there.

Honestly, Tomlin should have left with Colbert and Ben, so the page could legitimately be turned and a true rebuild could begin. Instead, we got another year pissing in the wind with it blowing back in our faces under Tomlin.

Letting Colbert conduct the last off-season with one foot out the door was pure stupidity, and they should have gone outside the organization to replace him, as a fresh perspective is sorely needed.

I hate to say it, but the Steelers' overly rigid and conservative way of doing things is being left in the dust. The league is evolving beyond it with a the aggressive personnel/coaching moves and scheme innovation going on.

The Eagles seem to have a decent grasp on what they're doing, so the scouting director Khan poached from them may prove valuable, though Khan is the one making the decisions with Tomlin.
Khan is just there to rubber stamp Tomlin's new shiney toys

I really disagree on the receivers. We should be fine with better coaching there.
That's the point with many of the positions, IMO. These guys don't have MS, and they had a good to great college experience. They simply aren't coached up, instructed, etc. I get that Colbert had some responsibility here, but he can't coach them up. That is on cool shades.

View attachment 9809

Tomlin's current coaching tree.

Until Art is willing to have the courage to fire a black coach, we are perennially toast.
WE don't fire any Head coach, it has nothing to do with color. For better or or worse it is the Steeler way since 1969. We can complain about lack of playoff wins but he is as successful as most in the league if not more. Reid was a perennial playoff loser until he wasn't. I can live with a change but I can live with Tomlin staying if he gets better coordinators.

As long as people support the team, because they are “the real fans”, Art the dookie has no reason to make any changes. I have been a fan since 1970, and went to games, bought swag, and subscribed to NFLST from the first day it was offered. Mike Tomlin changed all that for me after his SB loss. At that point it became obvious that he was in over his head. I quit going to games, don’t buy swag, and canceled NFLST over the years since then. Hell, today I even chose to watch NASCAR over the game today. The current product is not worth the investment any longer of my time or money. I have said it a hundred times, AR2 is the typical 3rd generation business owner that pisses away the company. MAYBE the next guy cares enough to bring it back from the scrap heap. When that person shows they care, I may start to care too.

I will always care, just not interested. It's like when Coke changed it's formula and lost lots of customers and were forced to switch back. Except that was really stupid and the Steelers matter.