• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

And we think teenagers don't pay attention.....

Lyn - How is it your daughter gets her college paid for by the GI Bill? Hell, I served for 8 years and and since I joined at the wrong time, I didn't get ****, unless I forked over MY MONEY to get a match.

They have changed the program- now the serviceperson can transfer the GI bill over to the spouse or child(ren). Will has to extend his time in service by 18 months (so instead of being able to retire at 20 years, he has to be at 21.5). We figure it's a no brainer....another 18 months to ensure that kiddo's college is paid for?

There is a big catch though- not all colleges accept the GI Bill transfer as acceptable tuition payment. The ones who DO accept it accept it on a limited basis...we looked at Auburn's acceptance for last year. They accepted TEN GI Bills. TEN. Out of thousands of freshmen. UT Austin will accept it for 25 kids. I don't get why a college wouldn't take a kid whose college is already paid for. Do the colleges get a kickback from student loans??

psssssssssssssssssssssh
it's just paper

It is not even paper anymore, friend.....just point, click and shoot all the unprinted money to "allies"

It is not even paper anymore, friend.....just point, click and shoot all the unprinted money to "allies"

Actually, I DO wonder about the validity of all the "online colleges" that keep popping up....seems like anyone can sit in front of a computer anymore and earn a "diploma".

Actually, I DO wonder about the validity of all the "online colleges" that keep popping up....seems like anyone can sit in front of a computer anymore and earn a "diploma".

Almost the first question employers want to know is whether someone's degree is an online degree. I get the feeling those ones get weeded out almost immediately. I can say from my experience dealing with them that if online colleges are anything like online high schools, they are worthless.

About 5% of kids that do online high schools are doing it because they legitimately don't fit in with a high school population and they are motivated to get a Diploma in peace. The other 95% go to online high schools because A) They have been expelled from so many schools that they are no longer allowed into a public school or B) The parent is too lazy and apathetic to get the kid up and ready for school on time and they are sick of having Truancy Officers chasing them around and getting sent to Court every 3 months. They enroll them online simply to get people off their backs and could care less if the kid ever completes an assignment.

Hence the reason that the graduation rates at these online charter schools is about 15%. But some very rich, powerful people with political ties are the CEO's of them, so guess what? Online charter schools are completely exempt from meeting any state or national standards for graduation or success benchmarks. Hence,they can have a 15% graduation rate, stay open and can still sit and rake in the money.

Last edited:
Secondary education will be the next bubble to burst. Colleges have been building expensive student centers and housing, designed to attract students, not necessarily to educate them. The cost is passed on via tuition. It is getting to a point where it is unsustainable. There will come a time where some schools will disappear, others will merge. The debts that students will incur will become unsustainable, as well.

There is a big catch though- not all colleges accept the GI Bill transfer as acceptable tuition payment. The ones who DO accept it accept it on a limited basis...we looked at Auburn's acceptance for last year. They accepted TEN GI Bills. TEN. Out of thousands of freshmen. UT Austin will accept it for 25 kids. I don't get why a college wouldn't take a kid whose college is already paid for. Do the colleges get a kickback from student loans??

Gotta leave some slots for illegals.

Secondary education will be the next bubble to burst. Colleges have been building expensive student centers and housing, designed to attract students, not necessarily to educate them. The cost is passed on via tuition. It is getting to a point where it is unsustainable. There will come a time where some schools will disappear, others will merge. The debts that students will incur will become unsustainable, as well.

The world really does need ditch diggers too.

The debts that students will incur will become unsustainable, as well.

Mine and my wife's are unsustainable as it is. I'm 38 and I'm not sure if they will be paid of before I'm dead or not. It will be a close race.

Gotta leave some slots for illegals.

The world really does need ditch diggers too.

That's what I was thinking too....pisses me off.

Mine and my wife's are unsustainable as it is. I'm 38 and I'm not sure if they will be paid of before I'm dead or not. It will be a close race.

Not to be snarky, but what degrees did you & the wife borrow for?

That's what I was thinking too....pisses me off.

What really pisses me off is all the money GIVEN to students in the form of grants and additional aid, who then do not finish the education they were GIVEN the money to pursue.

I am not against "assisting" students, I just believe that "assistance" should be in the form of a credit AFTER graduation.
- Graduate with a 3.5 GPA (STEM 3.25) = 100% credit
- Graduate with a 3.0 GPA (STEM 2.8) = 75% credit
- Graduate with a 2.5 GPA (STEM 2.4) = 50% credit
Can not maintain those grades or drop out, you get to pay for this YOURSELF. We should be INVESTING in people we are going to get a return from. There is nothing to PREVENT anyone from any social-economic class from achieving their educational goals.

You can also attend ANY COLLEGE of your choice, though the "credit" will be at the rate of the State College in your State. Private Colleges are then welcome to offer any additional assistance they so choose, State Coleges may not.

Last edited:
When stuff is GIVEN to you with no strings attached, why WOULD you work hard?

They're tapping into that pool of government education money. If there was no or little government assistance and people had to pay their own way, the cost of college would come down real fast.
I've taught off and on at a community college in eastern Ohio the last couple years. Last year they started teaching online and hybrid courses (part class, part online) of which I taught one. The students, faculty, and infrastructure was totally unprepared for this but hey, we're getting state funding for online courses so dammit we're going to teach online courses. That's a relatively small example but that's the mindset.

Last edited: