• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Andre Johnson wants traded from Houston

So he started 1/2 of the games played in the last two years and was productive then, he is a year older now and likely not getting better as he ages. I think the odds are more in line with him being able to play less rather than more.

no...he started all 16 games each of the last two seasons.......he caught over 100 passes last year with a bunch of hot garbage at QB.....

I would not give up the farm for the guy...but to say he wouldn't be better than some unknown rookie is the height of stupidity

Andre Johnson has been a beast in Houston. He had one injury season like 3 years ago. he is turning 33 before the start of the next season. Similar players at WR have had great stretches from 33 to 35... and few had the kinds of seasons he did last year leading into this... having said that no way do the Steelers absorb that contract... its over 10 per I think the rest of the way base with another million per roster bonus. On top of that the Texans take a 11 million dollar cap hit for trading him.

IMO he stays with the Texans

no...he started all 16 games each of the last two seasons.......he caught over 100 passes last year with a bunch of hot garbage at QB.....

I would not give up the farm for the guy...but to say he wouldn't be better than some unknown rookie is the height of stupidity

Jerry Rice was an unknown rookie once, Lynn Swann,etc. This guy is 33 and at 10 mil per year is not worth the risk. His age is against him at some point you hit the wall with athletic ability I would not be interested in bringing in a player high in age that was not already here. I think we will get more upside from rookies. That said you posted he started 16 games the last two years, not he started 32 games in the last two years so based on your post it led me to believe he was out 1/2 the time. Even so with his price and and production I am not ready to take a chance on another Woodley type contract and possible similar performance. The guy might have two more really good seasons in him, but he might not.

I mean if we were not cap strapped, and his price was, say, a third rounder... Id do that in a half a heartbeat. The guy is better than people realize... one of the best and most underappreciated WRs ever. He has been more durable than some on here suggest. His past two seasons he missed no games and caught an average of 110 passes for 1500 yards... and last season he was playing with a full meltdown at QB. this guy has better yardage stats than TO did at the same age by like 2000 yards, and he played with hot messes like David Carr and Matt Shaub over the years at QB... It just cant happen for cap reasons

A great receiver... who is injured a lot.

Not really true on the second part.

He's had this 'n' that the past two or three years. But for the vast majority of his career he's been healthy and productive.

The biggest knock on him is that he doesn't score enough touchdowns. But he can still play at a very high level.

Note: No doubt Texans management is mad that he didn't sound off before the draft -- supposedly a WR-rich draft.

...O'Brien started true freshman QB Hackenberg last year. I expect him to do the same with Savage...

The scuttlebutt here is that unless Fitzpatrick is awful - which he's quite capable of being - Savage will sit most of the season. He's only played one season in the past three. It's unlikely he'll be starting - at least to begin the year.

Last edited:
The scuttlebutt here is that unless Fitzpatrick is awful - which he's quite capable of being - Savage will sit most of the season. He's only played one season in the past three. It's unlikely he'll be starting - at least to begin the year.

That was the scuttlebutt in State College last year too. They recruited a good junior college QB, Ferguson, and got him to enroll early so he went through spring ball and knew the offense. Hackenberg was not an early enrollee so his first practice was just a few weeks before the first game.

Most people assumed ferguson would start and Hack would take over mid year or possibly redshirt. O'Brien named Hack the starter almost immediately and gave him almost all reps in practice. He stated it was important to name the starter quickly, so he could get the most reps possible.

He did not ease him in either. First game and they were using empty backfield. It was apparent that BOB's main priority last year was teaching Hack, not winning games. They lost to Indiana because they threw so much. They could have just ran the ball and won that game, but BOB wanted Hack ready for when the bowl sanctions are lifted.

My my guess is he will do the same with Savage. Unless Savage looks terrible, I expect him to be named starter quickly. And BOB won't baby him. He'll use the same sink or swim technique he used with Hack and the goal will be to use this year as a training year and next year Savage is ready to roll.

In this day and age - WRs with true talent aren't as valuable. The same way RBs are devalued makes mediocre WRs more productive (not better): Goodells NFL. I bet Bey does better with Ben than most expect (doubt he'll hit more than 50-55 catches, but he'll have a share of big plays because of Ben.) I would expect Bell to be bigger part of receiving game, and Moore to be great role player at slot. My concern is our 1986 level secondary