• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Andy Weidl could be gone!

steelhurt

In Andy I trust....
Reaction score
According to reports he will be in much demand as a GM. Possibly Washington!
I don’t know what the sentiment is here but I don’t want to lose Andy.
He has a great record in Baltimore and in Philadelphia helping build those rosters and think if given the chance here could do the same.
I’d rather promote Andy to GM and maybe move Omar to some VP title or let him walk. He’s more a cap guy anyway where Andy has so much more experience with player personnel, the draft and scouting.
Big mistake if they let him walk imo.

He has a great record in Baltimore and in Philadelphia helping build those rosters and think if given the chance here could do the same.
I’d rather promote Andy to GM and maybe move Omar to some VP title or let him walk. He’s more a cap guy anyway where Andy has so much more experience with player personnel, the draft and scouting.
I think it is just conjecture on their part. We'll see.

I look at him like I did Flores. too good to be held back. and lucky the Steelers had him for a year.

Make him an offer he can't refuse. He has to be happy he's home, give him some important friggin title and match whatever is being offered. Of course Kahn may demand a raise but it's not like the duece has an excess of non player personnel on the payroll. Would hate to lose this guy.

what's the dynamic between Khan and Weidl? Khan was always a numbers guy. I assumed Weidl was doing the scouting and most of the drafting with Khan having final say as GM. If that's the case then make Omar team president or something and change Weidl's job title to GM.

Good talent evaluator. We are better off if we keep Tomlin away from that

I look at him like I did Flores. too good to be held back. and lucky the Steelers had him for a year.
Exactly
He stacked a great board for us last year

We got multiple future starters and several key role players out of 1 draft-well done

Would love to see the tandem get another offseason and draft together tho

Exactly
He stacked a great board for us last year

We got multiple future starters and several key role players out of 1 draft-well done

Would love to see the tandem get another offseason and draft together tho

I'd love to see 3-4 drafts done before he moves on. If he truly is that instrumental I'd try to keep him if possible.

When the Eagles drafted like they did in his time with them, and how the Steelers apparently did in his first year in Pittsburgh, the league is going to take notice.

He didn't really seem like he would be quick to go anywhere else when coming home to Pittsburgh, but money and opportunity ultimately talk.

It would definitely be nice to have access to that brain of his for at least one more off-season.

what's the dynamic between Khan and Weidl? Khan was always a numbers guy. I assumed Weidl was doing the scouting and most of the drafting with Khan having final say as GM. If that's the case then make Omar team president or something and change Weidl's job title to GM.

When Khan introduced Weidl to the media, I believe he kind of laid it out the way you described it.

Losing Weidl would definitely hurt, depending on who they could replace him with.

Weidl is a great talent, and I would hate to see him go (it is going to happen at some point, sooner or later). The real question is whether or not the rest of the Steelers' organization has learned from the presence of his work. That is, Weidl emphasized and brought back the importance of the trenches to the organization which apparently everyone, except fans, seemed to forget about.

If Weidl leaves but the organization actually remembers the lesson, I am fine. If they don't, well, back to "unfortunate business as usual."

Weidl is a great talent, and I would hate to see him go (it is going to happen at some point, sooner or later). The real question is whether or not the rest of the Steelers' organization has learned from the presence of his work. That is, Weidl emphasized and brought back the importance of the trenches to the organization which apparently everyone, except fans, seemed to forget about.

If Weidl leaves but the organization actually remembers the lesson, I am fine. If they don't, well, back to "unfortunate business as usual."
Our trenches have not exactly performed well this year. For most of the year, the Dline has been horrible against the run and definitely hasn't brought much push when attacking the QB. Our OL flat out sucked for most of the year and is still "below the line" with pass protection.
If Weidl is gone, I hope the organization learned about the importance of acquiring capable players for the trenches from his work. Not just bodies.

Our trenches have not exactly performed well this year. For most of the year, the Dline has been horrible against the run and definitely hasn't brought much push when attacking the QB. Our OL flat out sucked for most of the year and is still "below the line" with pass protection.
If Weidl is gone, I hope the organization learned about the importance of acquiring capable players for the trenches from his work. Not just bodies.

So, I guess Harris and Warren have been running like they have without good blocking?

Jones and Seumalo (who Weidl helped draft with the Eagles) have been a big part of that.

Benton looks like he is going to be a really good in another year or so.

There is more work to be done, but implying they have not acquired capable players since Weidl has been here is just bullshit.

So, I guess Harris and Warren have been running like they have without good blocking?

Jones and Seumalo (who Weidl helped draft with the Eagles) have been a big part of that.

Benton looks like he is going to be a really good in another year or so.

There is more work to be done, but implying they have not acquired capable players since Weidl has been here is just bullshit.
1. I guess you missed the "most of the year" part of that response.
2. No doubt Jones and Seumalo have been a big part of the improvement the OL has shown in the last 3 games. But, let's not forget that for most of the year, the opposing team's defense was damn near taking our handoffs before our RBs.
3. Benton has been really good.
4. Dan Moore is still starting. Whatever happened to those depth guys they brought in that were supposed to be able to step in when the starters were ******* up? For that matter, wasn't Herbig supposed to be Center capable? That's what they were saying when he was brought in.

What I was saying was they need to bring in depth players who are capable of stepping in if need be. It seems to me that they don't trust the guys they brought in to actually play when guys like Cole are playing like ****. And yes, I do believe they did not bring in capable depth along the OL specifically.

I hear you but Khan and Weidl both deserve to be GM’s

I’ll put a positive spin on this: the is the first time in a long time someone has produced as a coach or front office person and likely moved on to a promotion or garnered interest, that’s a sign of a good organization, it used to happen a lot here, kudos to Khan on the hire

Not sure it is entirely fair to expect Weidl's to be able to make enough change across both lines or for his guys to come in and fix it in one year. Benton and Jones have been far above the line as quality picks and have performed pretty darn good for rookies. His stamp was all over the draft and particularly on the trench picks. Yes, we need capable players and that is what he started (we are still in year one).

The other thing is that once we had a QB that didn't bail on the pocket every snap or throw ridiculous passes and our d line became somewhat a bit more stout, that our lines have improved enough to be ok (vs previously being the all star trash team) ... at least when coaching doesn't get in the way with terrible play calls.

I do think we have some bodies that are not superstars that are better than our coaching would demonstrate. It is no secret that I want our whole coaching staff gone (but of course also knowing that won't happen). Weidl brought back a focus on the trenches beyond just bodies and drafted two potential future all pros. He knows what needs picked and, apparently, who to pick. So there are a couple of things to take from Weidl if he leaves.

Not sure it is entirely fair to expect Weidl's to be able to make enough change across both lines or for his guys to come in and fix it in one year. Benton and Jones have been far above the line as quality picks and have performed pretty darn good for rookies. His stamp was all over the draft and particularly on the trench picks. Yes, we need capable players and that is what he started (we are still in year one).

The other thing is that once we had a QB that didn't bail on the pocket every snap or throw ridiculous passes and our d line became somewhat a bit more stout, that our lines have improved enough to be ok (vs previously being the all star trash team) ... at least when coaching doesn't get in the way with terrible play calls.

I do think we have some bodies that are not superstars that are better than our coaching would demonstrate. It is no secret that I want our whole coaching staff gone (but of course also knowing that won't happen). Weidl brought back a focus on the trenches beyond just bodies and drafted two potential future all pros. He knows what needs picked and, apparently, who to pick. So there are a couple of things to take from Weidl if he leaves.
Let me be clear. I think Weidl will make a great GM. As will Kahn. Folks have short or selective memories when they call for the Steelers to move Kahn up to some made up position in order to offer Weidl the GM position. Yes, Weidl set the draft board. And, that's important. Kahn made the picks.
It was the "Kahn Artist" who made the deal that led to us having the pick to get JPJ.
I think both deserve to be NFL GMs. But only one can be the GM here. Kahn has done nothing to change the fact that he is that guy.

As for Weidl. He's a helluva talent evaluator for the trenches. And, no, I don't think it would have been possible for his contributions to lead to a total overhaul of the line(s) in one season. I question the overall talent of guys like Herbig, I guess because guys like Moore and Cole seemingly can't be replaced with what was brought in. No matter how ****** their play has been. But, there's no denying that Benton, Jones, Herbig have been awesome as rookies. And, it's Weidl's contributions to getting guys like that on the draft board correctly that always meant he wasn't going to be here long.

Let me be clear. I think Weidl will make a great GM. As will Kahn. Folks have short or selective memories when they call for the Steelers to move Kahn up to some made up position in order to offer Weidl the GM position. Yes, Weidl set the draft board. And, that's important. Kahn made the picks.
It was the "Kahn Artist" who made the deal that led to us having the pick to get JPJ.
I think both deserve to be NFL GMs. But only one can be the GM here. Kahn has done nothing to change the fact that he is that guy.

As for Weidl. He's a helluva talent evaluator for the trenches. And, no, I don't think it would have been possible for his contributions to lead to a total overhaul of the line(s) in one season. I question the overall talent of guys like Herbig, I guess because guys like Moore and Cole seemingly can't be replaced with what was brought in. No matter how ****** their play has been. But, there's no denying that Benton, Jones, Herbig have been awesome as rookies. And, it's Weidl's contributions to getting guys like that on the draft board correctly that always meant he wasn't going to be here long.

Misunderstood part of your initial response, thanks for the thoughful follow-up!

This would be a challenge for Kahn. If this does happen, I wouldn’t mind seeing Riddick hired in his place if Kahn wishes to do so. I understand he finished strongly in the GM interviews and was highly considered until he ruled himself out.