• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Another project. Rumored Steelers interest

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
NFL Supplemental Draft: Pittsburgh Steelers could eye 6-foot-5 and 360 pound DT

Lakendrick Ross, Virginia-Lynchburg

One of the more unique aspects of the NFL is taking place on July 11th. The NFL Supplemental Draft, and the exact way it works and who is available is always another question within itself. One player who is looking to be drafted is, Virginia-Lynchburg defensive tackle Lakendrick Ross.

Elite Sports Agency's Glen Lansky informed College2Pro.com the huge defensive tackle is going to enter the July 11th draft. At 6-foot-5, 360 pounds, Ross has excellent agility and athleticism, especially for a small-school prospect. The trifecta of size, speed, and strength bring a unique prospect for NFL teams to view, in early July before training camps begin in earnest.

Lansky said he's fielded more than twenty calls from NFL teams regarding interest in his client. Ross is holding a workout on July 7th, at IC Norcum High School, in Portsmouth, Virginia. It's likely Ross will go undrafted through the July 11th event.
Ross played one year, in 2012. Team's view Ross as raw and development prospect, but also a player with an upside as enormous as he is. It's hard not to take notice.

http://www.college2pro.com/showSingleArticle.php?id=732

I guess another swing/lottery pick at a guy like McCullers can't hurt. Always better to double your chances of success (however small) if the cost/investment isn't that much.

If you enter the supplemental Draft and do not get picked, you are a free agent, I assume?

The other issue is if you spend a pick, it is a pick from next years draft in the same round I think. With that in mind if he is likely to be unpicked and you liked him as a player would you throw a 5th round pick thinking that no one else will spend more than a 6th or 7th on him. Keep in mind that it would only be if you liked him and his upside. Also there is a reason this kid could not get into one of the larger schools. Might be a grades or mental ability issue, although after listening to some of these athletes speak one would think that would not stop anyone that could fog a mirror.

We have one a couple of really big guys now as projects that were picked up one last year and one this year could we be going to the 4 - 3 again and trying to get large enough so as to not need more than 4 to rush the passer on most plays, like the old days. Interesting guy size wise wonder if he has anything to make him worth a shot?

Interesting but supposedly very raw... wortha shot at maybe a 6th or 7th... probably gonna have to stash him on a practice squad though

What the move may be is tell him at his workout that if he doesn't make a team right out of camp, you want to sign him to a practice squad deal...put in a 7th for him and this way you maybe get him for nothing even if someone bids higher...

Not a vote of confidence for 6th round NT Daniel McCullers if they spend a pick on this guy.

Not a vote of confidence for 6th round NT Daniel McCullers if they spend a pick on this guy.

so bringing nobody else in, would signal DM securing a roster spot?

thinking one more body just adds to the competition in camp, nothing more nothing less...........

thinking one more body just adds to the competition in camp, nothing more nothing less...........

If the young defensive ends show up and Thomas can stick at NT, McCullers will have a tough time making the roster. I don't think the Steelers go into the season without experience at the position, though. He is going to have to really stink to not earn a spot over the other NTs on the roster based purely on potential and that he could potentially slide over to end.

If the young defensive ends show up and Thomas can stick at NT, McCullers will have a tough time making the roster. I don't think the Steelers go into the season without experience at the position, though. He is going to have to really stink to not earn a spot over the other NTs on the roster based purely on potential and that he could potentially slide over to end.

if the young DEs show up

if Thomas can stay at NT

.... two ifs and you want experience at both positions...........

I think that would entail McCullers starting and Thomas starting at DE.

Right now DM has just as much of a chance to stick as those other inexperienced NT and DEs..........

I am thinking if they draft him it would be a 7th and he'd all but likely redshirt this season on the PS so the coaches could see what they can do with him.

if the young DEs show up

if Thomas can stay at NT

.... two ifs and you want experience at both positions...........

I think that would entail McCullers starting and Thomas starting at DE.

Right now DM has just as much of a chance to stick as those other inexperienced NT and DEs..........

That would put Thomas at RDE and McLendon at NT. No way does McCullers start as a rookie over McLendon. Would rather them sign Keisel as a stopgap until Tuitt is ready to start and Arnfelt/Williams/Mauro are ready to contribute as backups and leave Thomas as a backup NT.

That would put Thomas at RDE and McLendon at NT. No way does McCullers start as a rookie over McLendon. Would rather them sign Keisel as a stopgap until Tuitt is ready to start and Arnfelt/Williams/Mauro are ready to contribute as backups and leave Thomas as a backup NT.

I could see DM having a more difficult time if Keisel was resigned, pushing Thomas strictly to NT. I think part of that is what they see with Thomas as a DE. I was basically talking about making the roster, had no ideas of DM starting..................

The more I look at our D-line situation the more I don't want to see Cam Thomas at DE. Maybe on goal line situations but not in a base D. What I would love to see is Tuitt and or Arnfelt man the LDE position opposite of Heyward. Maybe Tuitt is better vs the pass while Arnfelt is better vs the run so you use them both. Then use McClendon on passing downs and Thomas on running downs to maximize each ones strengths. Only 18 days left to camp so I can't wait to start reading about position battles and who is looking good. McCullers IMO will end up on the PS unless he shows sometime and makes it too difficult to risk losing him via another team.

Normally they keep 6 to 7 guys for the defensive line. If they take this kid they have a project from last year one from this years draft and the supplemental guy giving them 3 projects on the team. They have Heyward and McClendon as starters, a high draft pick and 2 players left from last year plus a free agent they signed. There may be some changes in the works in the defense either this year or next year. They may just be looking for some guys to put on the practice squad and hopefully retain till next year when they may make the roster and replace some players we have now. Or we may change back to a 4-3 and need more players on the line. At this point it may depend on how the defensive players they have stack up. There sure is a trend though, lots of interest in really large players, even for defensive linemen.

At this point I would not be surprised if a big change took place either this year or next with our defensive line and linebackers. We have picked up speed players in the line backing position that are smaller than we used to target and have more potential to cover, and gone after or shown interest in bigger defensive linemen than we have in a while. Might be nothing more than what was available at the time but it does seem to be a trend.

McCullers does not have a roster spot locked up. That's the point. This would not be bringing in another guy like they did with McLendon or Al Woods. This is spending a pickin a supplemental draft. You don't make that move unless you love the available player or you hate your current players and think you need immediate help.

Ross is a project player. So is McCullers. To me that means if they spend a pick on Ross, it must mean they aren't that high on McClullers

or it could possibly be a move that would signal that Ross could be a better player next year and unavailable late in the draft.
Why not take the chance? If Ross and McCullers can develop, Tuitt plays to his potential and Heyward continues to rise, then we could have a stellar DL. Besides, our late picks are usually garbage anyway.

McCullers does not have a roster spot locked up. That's the point. This would not be bringing in another guy like they did with McLendon or Al Woods. This is spending a pickin a supplemental draft. You don't make that move unless you love the available player or you hate your current players and think you need immediate help.

Ross is a project player. So is McCullers. To me that means if they spend a pick on Ross, it must mean they aren't that high on McClullers

I see your thought process I just tend to lean towards liking the player ( Ross) over disliking someone new on the roster before camp practices before preseason. IMO not enough on Mcullers yet to "not be high on him".

If they really like the guy and can get him at a later pick then go for it. McCullers is likely a limited player. Even if he pans out as a good player he'll likely just be a 2 down run stuffer.

If they see this guy as a potential 3 down NT prospect like Dontari Poe, then bring him in.

could also be an indication we could swap to a 4-3 or even roll out some combination of McCullers, Ross, Heyward, Tuitt and McClendon depending on the situation.

I doubt very much that we'll use a pick tomorrow, even a 7th rounder. Guy is incredibly raw.

Last edited:
I'd rather use a 7th than to try to bid on him after. It's like Michael Bamiro who got six figures in a bonus because there was several teams interested and bidding war happened. Just draft him with a 7th if you want him and give him his 40-50k bonus.