• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Anti-Beyonce rally to be held outside NFL headquarters

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...e-nfl-headquarters-over-hate-speech?CMP=fb_us

Anti-Beyoncé rally planned outside NFL headquarters over 'hate speech'

The NFL has been accused of various misdemeanours down the years, from ignoring head trauma to failing to control its players’ off the field activities. Now we can add another problem to the list: allowing hate speech to be disseminated during the Super Bowl via the medium of song and dance.
Black Pride at the Super Bowl? Beyoncé embodies a new political moment

That, at least, is the view of a group behind an “Anti-Beyoncé Protest Rally”, which is due to take place on 16 February outside NFL headquarters in New York. “Do you agree that it was a slap in the face to law enforcement? Do you agree that the Black Panthers was/is a hate group which should not be glorified?” reads the group’s posting on Event Brite. “Come and let’s stand together. Let’s tell the NFL we don’t want hate speech & racism at the Superbowl ever again!” The group did not respond to the Guardian’s request for more information.

The proposed rally is not the only dissent that has risen after Beyoncé’s performance. On Monday the former mayor of New York, Rudy Giuliani appeared to be particularly incensed by the reference to Black Lives Matter and described the performance as an attack on the police. “I thought it was really outrageous that she used it as a platform to attack police officers who are the people who protect her and protect us, and keep us alive,” he told Fox News. “And what we should be doing in the African American community, and all communities, is build up respect for police officers.”

Giuliani also believed the Super Bowl was the wrong platform for Beyoncé. “This is a political position and she’s probably going to take advantage of it,” Giuliani said. “You’re talking to middle America when you have the Super Bowl. So if you’re going to have entertainment, let’s have decent, wholesome entertainment. And not use it as a platform to attack the people who put their lives at risk just to save us.”

Beyoncé’s perfomance has also drawn widespread praise and one group has already planned a counter-protest in support of the singer. “When Black women affirm Blackness/Black womanhood, they are attacked and silenced,” the group said on Event Brite. “Sisters, dress in your “Formation” video/Super Bowl performance-inspired gear and make this a moment a joyous one! Allies and friends, show up and show your support! We have asked our biggest stars to get political and Bey went there. Don’t let anyone make her powerful statement about the value of Black life be overshadowed by those who don’t believe that our lives matter.”

The Super Bowl attracts a huge audience, and the halftime show is one of its highlights. Last year’s Super Bowl averaged 114.2 million viewers in the US. Beyoncé is yet to comment publicly on the halftime show.

Who?

the perfomance itself, if you didnt know of the particulars before and after, was fine.
add in that she said she was making this a political statement before the performance and that it paid homage to the black panthers...

I guess the NFL will have the KKK in next year. I wonder how that will go down.

the perfomance itself, if you didnt know of the particulars before and after, was fine.
add in that she said she was making this a political statement before the performance and that it paid homage to the black panthers...

Yeah, I got it. There was a definite "**** you, whitey" element to it. Some people on facebook are saying there was also LGBT elements to it. I missed that, unless it was the Coldplay guy dancing like a ****. I also heard it was anti-cop. I guess I wasn't paying that much attention to it.

My level of interest was so low, I didn't even notice it until people made a big deal.

i didnt watch any of it. then saw the backlash on FB. since my daughter wants to go to the Beyonce concert, i looked to see what this was all about.

i'm now dead set on my daughter not going to the concert.

The Black Panthers are murdering racists. Amazing that she gets away with announcing her support of murdering racists, and little in the way of protests result.

Seriously, if Bruce Springsteen announced that he is supporting Aryan Nation, ya think we might hear of a few protests??

i didnt watch any of it. then saw the backlash on FB. since my daughter wants to go to the Beyonce concert, i looked to see what this was all about.

i'm now dead set on my daughter not going to the concert.

I am all for her being able to do this, and if it hits her wallet because of it, so much the better.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from results.

I'd heard about her new song that she released a day or two beforehand. The imagery in her video told me all I needed to know about what the focus of her "show" would be. I expected this type of performance from her. What I didn't expect was for the NFL to promote the message she's selling.

I am all for her being able to do this, and if it hits her wallet because of it, so much the better.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from results.

The Dixie Chicks know this. The problem is the **** for brains riff raff that fall for and support this kinda **** outnumber the ones who don't so I have a feeling she'll be just fine.

Dixie Chicks are white and are all but forgotten
Beyonsee is blackish and promotes all that the media loves and coddles.

I watched and had no idea it was a black panther tribute gimmick. I just thought Beyoncé hasn't taken off the baby weight. Did she make some sort of statement it was an Homage to Afrocentric racism?

I watched and had no idea it was a black panther tribute gimmick. I just thought Beyoncé hasn't taken off the baby weight. Did she make some sort of statement it was an Homage to Afrocentric racism?

I watched it too and had no clue it was a tribute. I also couldn't understand a single word ANY of the performers sang. I recognized Bruno's song only because I could hear the background music. As for Beyonce, I would never have guessed it was anything political.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/07/arts/music/beyonce-formation-super-bowl-video.html?_r=0

Beyoncé is nothing if not meticulous, and that’s clear from the timing of the release of “Formation,” 24 hours before the Super Bowl, where she’s scheduled to share the halftime show with — and completely annihilate — Coldplay.

Beyoncé has a history with the Super Bowl: her 2013 halftime performance at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans was perhaps the greatest of the modern era.

In “Formation,” she returns to that city; this time, she’s in scenes that suggest a fantastical post-Katrina hellscape, but radically rewritten. She straddles a New Orleans police cruiser, which eventually gets submerged (with her atop it). And at the end of the clip, a line of riot-gear-clad police officers surrender, hands raised, to a dancing black child in a hoodie, and the camera then pans over a graffito: Stop Shooting Us.

This is high-level, visuallystriking, Black Lives Matter-era allegory. The halftime show is usually a locus of entertainment, but Beyoncé has just rewritten it — overridden it, to be honest — as a moment of political ascent.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/196...ement-in-her-super-bowl-halftime-performance/

Beyoncé Made a Major Political Statement in her Super Bowl Halftime Performance

eyonce’s Super Bowl halftime performance of her new single, “Formation,” has received a large amount of post-game attention, stemming not from a reaction to its artistry, but the political message it apparently contained.

Her back-ups dancers were dressed in black leather and berets that bore resemblance to the uniforms of the Black Panthers, a black nationalist paramilitary group, some noted. In one point in the performance, Beyonce and her dancers shook their fists in the air in unison, a possible reference to the 1968 Olympics black power salute.

GettyImages-508987746.jpg

Backstage, some of Beyonce’s backup dancers made explicit political statements, making the salute with a sign that reads “Justice 4 Mario Woods,” a black gang member who was killed by the police.

CaqO2aVWEAAgsjB.jpg

CaqMmA6UcAIW42J.jpg

The music video for “Formation,” was released the day before the Super Bowl, also featured images that had political overtones, which some interpreted as an allusion to the Black Lives Matter protests against police killings.

“She unabashedly referenced the Black Panthers, and made Black Power salutes, all while asserting her own cultural and ethnic identity. Formation is about where she comes from and where she is going. It’s quite something,” wrote Suzanne Moore in an opinion piece for the Guardian.

Boycott her, and all things black.