• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Apple Opposes Hacking Terrorists Phone

if the FBI can't unlock an iphone, they need to head to the nearest high school and offer nudies of Taylor Swift to some high school junior for unlocking the phone. I see precisely what DBS is saying. If they have the phone - and they do - then they can and already have unlocked the phone. They're not wanting to access THAT phone. They're wanting a way to worm into other iphones.

which I'm very surprised they do not have the ability to do as of now... if they don't. They already have the Amber Alert and Silver Alert going to your iPhone, so it's conceivable they could use that, incorporate with GPS and other wizardry to gain access to your phone. Remember all the **** about the gov't being able to access your laptop and turn on your camera remotely? same concept.

I side with Apple on this issue.

If I make and advertise an impenetrable safe (which I'm allowed to do), sell it to a random person that happens to be a criminal and then have a court issue a search warrant for all the stuff in his house...

The FBI can't come to me as the manufacturer of the safe and say "Open it" when I promised it was impenetrable. If the FBI can open it, go right ahead, but they can't make me make a less-than-secure safe because they can't get in. And they can't force me to open it for them.

To me, what the FBI is demanding is every cell phone has to have a backdoor and if they can't find it, the manufacturers have to show them where it is.

I say tough cookies. That's proprietary stuff that gives Apple a competitive advantage in the marketplace. By sharing their info with the government, they open up potential hackers gaining that info and eroding an asset. Government can't do that.

They were discussing this on a radio show here in Tampa this morning. They were speaking to a law year about the legalities. In the course of this a computer engineer called into the show. He explained that the FBI has the physical phone in their possession. Since they have the phone they could simply remove the hard drive from the phone and manually copy it. Then they could work on decrypting the phone stayed up as much as they want it without fear of racing the original hard drive. He confirmed what I said earlier. He said the only reason the FBI would need this back door decryption software from Apple is so they could remotely look at anyone's phone that they chose. As I said before this is a ruse to expand FBI power.
McAfee agrees - http://www.businessinsider.com/john-mcafee-ill-decrypt-san-bernardino-phone-for-free-2016-2

So here is my offer to the FBI. I will, free of charge, decrypt the information on the San Bernardino phone, with my team. We will primarily use social engineering, and it will take us three weeks. If you accept my offer, then you will not need to ask Apple to place a back door in its product, which will be the beginning of the end of America.

Here are my specific thoughts about this..

1. I understand Apple not wanting to set precidence and wanting a specific law to cover this so it isnt misused later
2. This is a bit odd to try to claim privacy issues on a piece of tech that Apple already secretly gathers information from to market things to you
3. It wouldnt shock me if this wasnt a scheme to make people believe cell phones are more secure than they are

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/16/us/san-bernardino-shooter-phone-apple/index.html

I understand Apples view, but i find it hard to believe there is no way to unlock the phone. What if someone has an iphone and forgets their passcode? I also can't believe the FBI or CIA or whoever does not have some sort of technology to get into a locked iphone....I am all for privacy and what not, but this could be a national security issue. They could have names of other terrorists or cells, then those people could have names, and it could potentially eliminate several imminent threats.

While I respect Apple looking out for their consumer I would prefer this.

If a person is on a suspected terrorist list, APPLE allows the FBI, NSA, CIA or whomever the right to get the encryption key.

Surely Apple would be okay with this. If not, any terrorist with a brian ( Let hope they are few ) will be using Apple technology to hide their evil plans.

Saw Dennis Miller's post about this:

Give the phone to Hillary. In a couple weeks Trump could get the data from Putin.

Trump calls for boycott until Apple unlocks shooter's phone

PAWLEYS ISLAND, S.C.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump called on Friday for a boycott of Apple Inc (AAPL.O) products until the tech company agrees to help the U.S. government unlock the cellphone of one of the killers in the San Bernardino, California, attack.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-apple-idUSKCN0VS2LS

---------------------

Smash em all!