• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

AR 15 *******

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
So, this series of benevolent, non-violent, protests has sparked an interest in me,

If I were to buy an AR, which one would I buy, and why?
7.62 only. Like to keep it in the $1000 range.

Any input would be helpful.

Can get a 7.62 NATO (.308) in an AR platform. That would be an AR-10 for the record.

To me, the key is good, available, affordable ammo. I have not picked up an AR for that reason. What I have with hole true for a moment or two.

I've been jonesing for one of these but haven't really been able to justify it until now. Already a have a solid Mossberg. KSGs all out of stock at Buds Gun Shop.

415005590.jpg

Honestly, if you are a first time buyer I wouldn't get a AR in 308 to start.Too expensive for ammo, and I have seen many that are picky as hell and hard to get to run right...

I have 3 rifles in 308 and none are AR platforms.

Just get an entry level AR like a Ruger 556 or MP Sport, buy a case of ammo and get practicing.

Dont know how behind PSA is on shipping now but this gives you an idea what to expect price wise. Kinda a bad time to be buying but it is what it is.

$699 M&P Sport.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/smi...em-5-56-semi-automatic-ar-15-rifle-12936.html

9.99 D&H mags...Buy 10

https://palmettostatearmory.com/smi...em-5-56-semi-automatic-ar-15-rifle-12936.html

PMC 55gr 6.99 box....I would buy 1000 rounds and be done with it...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/cat...Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl

I've been jonesing for one of these but haven't really been able to justify it until now. Already a have a solid Mossberg. KSGs all out of stock at Buds Gun Shop.

415005590.jpg

That looks awful to shoot.

I have Smith & Wesson (M&P 15) with a Spitfire 1x Prism Scope. I use American Eagle 5.56. This setup is badass and I absolutely love it. So fun to shoot.

Ruger 556. Make sure to get the 556 rather than the 223, since the 556 can and will shoot the .223 ammo just fine, while the 223 is not going to handle the 5.56. They are NOT the same.

So neighbor has the Ruger 556, which can be obtained for basically $600, give or take. I think a good scope is also necessary, and that is going to run another $289. I would recommend searching for a scope with a company called Primary Arms. Something like this will work:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...-gen-3-illuminated-acss-5.56-5.45-308-reticle

The Ruger has a platform basically made to handle the scope, easy as pie to mount. Literally, takes about 30 seconds to mount the scope.

Go to this site for affordable 5.56 ammo, though the stupid effing Covid panic has made 5.56 and .223 tougher to get. Primary Arms also has a very good selection of ammo, with better delivery prices, but their ammo stock has been HAMMERED by Covid. Anyway, where neighbor gets ammo:

https://www.luckygunner.com/rifle/5.56x45-ammo

You can get 5.56 ammo, 55 grain most common, for a mere 42 cents per round. Depending on where you live, it can be delivered to your front door in boxes of 1,000 rounds.

Oh, also make sure to get AT LEAST one more magazine, generally at a cost of about $12. Once again, Primary Arms has plenty to choose from. Standard Ruger 556 magazine holds 30 rounds. If you live in a state that thinks ***** hats are an attractive clothing option, you can also find the 10-round magazine at a higher ******* cost than the 30-round magazine, because ***** hats mean stupid liberals running the state.

And I emphasize this information is from my neighbor. I wouldn't know. Guns scare me.

I have Smith & Wesson (M&P 15) with a Spitfire 1x Prism Scope. I use American Eagle 5.56. This setup is badass and I absolutely love it. So fun to shoot.

Neighbor has the Burriss 3x scope. The 1x scope is nice, and I like Spitfire, much like the Burriss in terms of look and reticle, but at more than 50 yards, the reticle on the 1x can basically make the target "disappear."

Or so I've heard. I wouldn't know.

What the neighbor bought:

SPST916556BMA_00.jpg

Retails for $750, but dealer had it $100 off because newer model coming in or something, and threw in extra magazine. Very, very easy to sight, work, maintain. Takes a bit of practice cleaning but once you do it 2-3x, becomes second nature.

So, this series of benevolent, non-violent, protests has sparked an interest in me,

If I were to buy an AR, which one would I buy, and why?
7.62 only. Like to keep it in the $1000 range.

Any input would be helpful.

You and me both. Never owned one, never had an interest.

DJ I respectfully disagree. I wouldn't buy anything from them....

Times like this they gouge the hell out of people. Luckygunner and Bulkammo have in the past too.

I have not bought ammo for years since I got wise to the panic times and stocked up, but Sam at SG Ammo is also good place to buy from.

I have not bought ammo for years since I got wise to the panic times and stocked up, but Sam at SG Ammo is also good place to buy from.

Good point. SG is a very good site.

https://www.sgammo.com/

Or so my neighbor tells me.

P.S. This is morphing a bit into an ammo discussion, but keep in mind Hamster's inquiry about a good and affordable AR-15.

Also, buy brass ammo and not the steel casings, you'll get a bunch of failures. Steel casings are loaded lighter (powder) and the gas systems need the higher pressures to operated effectively.

I was lucky to get my hands on a Colt AR quite a few years ago. I heard they stopped making the AR platform though.

Agree 100% on the brass, with the clarification that nickel-plated brass is also quite good. Or so I've been told.

Also, buy brass ammo and not the steel casings, you'll get a bunch of failures. Steel casings are loaded lighter (powder) and the gas systems need the higher pressures to operated effectively.

I was lucky to get my hands on a Colt AR quite a few years ago. I heard they stopped making the AR platform though.

They suspended production last year because the market was flooded with the AR- platform and rifle sales at the time were down. They pivoted to military sales in the U.S, the middle east and Hungry. The U.S. awarded them a $41 million contract last year. They may get back into the consumer market down the line.

I have on of their ARs from several years ago. It's a tack driver.