• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Arkansas first Bible Belt state to issue same-sex marriage licenses

Vis

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/05/1...o-issue-same-sex-marriage-licenses-day-after/

Gay marriage arrived in the Bible Belt on Saturday, beginning with two women who had traveled overnight to ensure they'd be first in line.

"Thank God," Jennifer Rambo said after Carroll County Deputy Clerk Jane Osborn issued a marriage license to her and Kristin Seaton, a former volleyball player at the University of Arkansas. The Fort Smith couple wed moments later on a sidewalk near the courthouse; the officiant wore a rainbow-colored dress.

In total, 15 licenses were issued for same-sex couples in northwest Arkansas' Carroll County, Osborn said.

Pulaski County Circuit Judge Chris Piazza paved the way Friday with a ruling that removed a 10-year-old barrier, saying a constitutional amendment overwhelmingly passed by voters in 2004 banning gay marriage was "an unconstitutional attempt to narrow the definition of equality." Piazza's ruling also overturned a 1997 state law banning gay marriage.

But because Piazza didn't issue a stay, Arkansas' 75 county clerks were left to decide for themselves whether to grant marriage licenses.

Rambo, 26, and Seaton, 27, were the first gay couple to be legally married. They arrived about 2 a.m., slept in a Ford Focus and awoke every half-hour to make sure no one else would take a spot at the head of the line.

As dawn came, no one was certain any clerk would issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple. Initially, deputy clerk Lana Gordon said she wasn't sure she had the authority and shooed people from her office.

"We just walked out of here crying," Rambo said.

When Osborn intervened, other same-sex couples let Rambo and Seaton return to their place in line.

"And some of these people here have been waiting 50 years and they still instructed us to come up front," Rambo said.

Carroll County was believed to be the only county that issued marriage licenses on Saturday. Several were open for early primary-election voting but staffers said they were not prepared to issue marriage licenses.

Piazza's lack of a stay caused confusion among county clerks, Association of Arkansas Counties executive director Chris Villines said.

"The court didn't give us any time to get the kinks worked out," Villines said.

Villines said after a conference call with county clerks from around the state he wasn't sure how many counties would being issuing same-sex marriage licenses Monday. Villines said county officials around the state were dismayed with the timing of Piazza's decision and that he didn't stay the ruling.

Jason Owens, an attorney for four of the six counties named in the lawsuit over the gay marriage ban, said he'll ask Piazza on Monday for guidance on how to proceed.

"My clients want to follow the law. We just want to know what the law is, essentially," Owens said.

Attorney General Dustin McDaniel said he would appeal the ruling and asked it be suspended during that process. No appeal had been filed as of Saturday evening.

The U.S. Supreme Court last year ruled that a law forbidding the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages was unconstitutional. Using language similar to that from the Supreme Court, state and federal judges nationwide have struck down other same-sex marriage bans — ruling against bans in Michigan, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia and Texas, and ordering Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee to recognize same-sex marriages from other states.

Arkansas' amendment was passed in 2004 with the overwhelming support of Arkansas voters.

Jerry Cox, president of the Arkansas Family Council, which promoted Arkansas' ban, said Piazza's decision to not suspend his ruling will create confusion if a stay is issued.

"Are these people married? Are they unmarried?" Cox said. "Judge Piazza did a tremendous disservice to the people of Arkansas by leaving this in limbo."

Arkansas' ruling came a week after McDaniel became the first statewide elected official to announce he personally supports gay marriage rights, but would continue to defend the state's ban in court.

Eureka Springs, an Ozark Mountain town of about 2,000, is known for its arts environment and liberal policies in the otherwise conservative northwest Arkansas — along with a 65-foot-tall statue of Jesus and a play about the last days of his life.

In 2007, the Eureka Springs City Council unanimously approved a proposal to create a domestic partner registry that took effect despite several failed efforts to defeat or outlaw the issue. The partnerships confer no special legal status.

Among those who let Rambo and Seaton back up front were Zeek Taylor, 67, and Dick Titus, 65, who have been together 40 years. Taylor confronted Gordon, the deputy clerk, about closing the office, saying "Your job is to issue marriage license to everyone that's here." Gordon said the complaint could be taken up with her boss.

Paul Wank, 80, of Eureka Springs, interrupted the exchange, pointing his black cane at Gordon.

"You don't have to be hateful sir," the deputy clerk said.

"You've been hateful to people like me for years. So keep up," Wank said. "You're doing everything you can to stall."

Vader

Reaction score
Just as expected. Vis only drops by from Steeler Fever to try to get a rise then he is off. Typical liberal.

Vis

Reaction score
Just as expected. Vis only drops by from Steeler Fever to try to get a rise then he is off. Typical liberal.

Speaking of rises, just look at the poll numbers

wGayPoll05CLR.jpg

But if this news gets a rise out of you, what typical ____ are you?

Vader

Reaction score
Speaking of rises, just look at the poll numbers.

It's your typical hit and run from you. You start **** here then run back to your other board. So there is no reason to debate you.

Vis

Reaction score
Speaking of rises, just look at the poll numbers./QUOTE]

It's your typical hit and run from you. You start **** here then run back to your other board. So there is no reason to debate you.

How is this starting ****? It's just a news article. Bothered by it?

Vincent

@#$% the 'narrative'
Reaction score

Vis is obsessed with gayhood. Could he be trying to tell us something?

Its OK Vis, we're your friends. You can be anybody you want to be with us. We're here for you Bud-dee.

Vincent

@#$% the 'narrative'
Reaction score
Oh, oh... Hanratty on Lambert in the Trib this morning...

“I'd come to the line of scrimmage in practice, running the other team's plays. I'd blow him a kiss. He's all fired up, legs pumping. One day he yelled to Chuck Noll, ‘Chuck, Hanratty just blew me a kiss!' The whole place went silent, then roared. Then Lambert realized what he'd yelled.”

oicu8ad

Reaction score
I did not read the article. Were the newlywed couples sisters?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I did not read the article. Were the newlywed couples sisters?
I was gonna say, just because cousins are gay is no reason not to get married.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Vis is obsessed with gayhood. Could he be trying to tell us something?

Its OK Vis, we're your friends. You can be anybody you want to be with us. We're here for you Bud-dee.
Libs are big on gay rights unless it's Muslims violating gay rights.

Stewey

Reaction score
Libs support Muslims when its convenient.

Libs claim to be advocates of womens rights, gay rights, equality, yet defend Muslims who are opposed all of these...when it comes time to bash Christianity or Israel.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, with such iron clad scientific polling, you would think gay marriage would become law because people voted for it and not because a few judges overruled the will of the people.

Gay marriage has lost on every ballot, even in California.

That is reality. This poll is worthless. Unless the questions were asked anonymously, it's bogus. Obviously people will tow the PC party line when asked directly.

Iron95

Contributor
Reaction score
Vis wants us to look at pole numbers. Is that girth or length?

ark steel

Reaction score
Remember when Vis was saying that Bammycare should be repealed because the polls showed it as unpopular?

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Remember when Vis was saying that Bammycare should be repealed because the polls showed it as unpopular?

No, I don't. And neither does anyone else.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Gays should be able to get married. Every person has the absolute right to free association. Gays should not be able to sue those who refuse to do business wit them though. You do not have a right to force other people to associate with you because that persons right to freely associate also includes the right to disassociate.

NCSteelerfan

Reaction score
Gays should be able to get married. Every person has the absolute right to free association. Gays should not be able to sue those who refuse to do business wit them though. You do not have a right to force other people to associate with you because that persons right to freely associate also includes the right to disassociate.

They do have the right to sue, because a business can not discriminate, it's against the law. There are specific reasons for right to refuse service and being of a different race, religion or sexual orientation isn't one of them.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
doesnt surprise me at all.
i know a flaming ****** from that state. he hides his phallus drooling by hiding behind a wonderful bride, two excellent children, a pocket protector and arm pit stains in his short-sleeve button downs that he wears with a tie that barely extends past his chest.

ark steel

Reaction score
They do have the right to sue, because a business can not discriminate, it's against the law. There are specific reasons for right to refuse service and being of a different race, religion or sexual orientation isn't one of them.

I could understand suing a restaurant or some places like that. The odd thing is if a photographer doesn't want to take your wedding photos, for whatever reason, why would you sue? To make him do so? What incentive does he have to do a good job?

In this day and age, the market place, IMO, is a better method of dealing with this issue than the courts. I don't mean boycotts and the like. If a business will not service -whatever- it will get around and affect their bottom line. They can then make the choice to make a different decision or have the business suffer.

ark steel

Reaction score
I could understand suing a restaurant or some places like that. The odd thing is if a photographer doesn't want to take your wedding photos, for whatever reason, why would you sue? To make him do so? What incentive does he have to do a good job?

In this day and age, the market place, IMO, is a better method of dealing with this issue than the courts. I don't mean boycotts and the like. If a business will not service -whatever- it will get around and affect their bottom line. They can then make the choice to make a different decision or have the business suffer.

To be clear, while the two scenarios I mentioned (restaurant vs. photographer) are different IMO, I don't think there is any way to delineate how you legislate it.