• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Arkansas first Bible Belt state to issue same-sex marriage licenses

Southern Steeler

Reaction score
I could understand suing a restaurant or some places like that. The odd thing is if a photographer doesn't want to take your wedding photos, for whatever reason, why would you sue? To make him do so? What incentive does he have to do a good job?

In this day and age, the market place, IMO, is a better method of dealing with this issue than the courts. I don't mean boycotts and the like. If a business will not service -whatever- it will get around and affect their bottom line. They can then make the choice to make a different decision or have the business suffer.
I agree with this 100%. Frankly, from what I saw people spoke loudly with their wallets when the Chick-Fil-A "uproar" occurred. Sure seems like the media is a bit far off in their representation of how America feels about the subject. As usual.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
They do have the right to sue, because a business can not discriminate, it's against the law. There are specific reasons for right to refuse service and being of a different race, religion or sexual orientation isn't one of them.

And that's a problem. A private individual or business should be able to refuse service to or discriminate against anyone they choose. The government should not be able to force them to associate with anyone. The government should not be able to discriminate because we are all citizens. How would you feel about a black owned business being forced to do business with Neo-Nazis based on non discrimination laws?

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
And that's a problem. A private individual or business should be able to refuse service to or discriminate against anyone they choose. The government should not be able to force them to associate with anyone.
Except that then we're back to 1955 Alabama and whites only lunch counters.

The government should not be able to discriminate because we are all citizens. How would you feel about a black owned business being forced to do business with Neo-Nazis based on non discrimination laws?
I think they've got it handled.

*Profanity Alert*

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Except that then we're back to 1955 Alabama and whites only lunch counters.

Wrong.

The whites only lunch counters were a creation of the government via segregation laws. But in all honestly if a business wants to discriminate they should be able to. You are either for freedom or you aren't.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Wrong.

The whites only lunch counters were a creation of the government via segregation laws. But in all honestly if a business wants to discriminate they should be able to. You are either for freedom or you aren't.

True this. And I'd be willing to bet there are a fair number of blacks, or whatever the PC terminology dujour is, who would welcome blacks only lunch counters, etc.