• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Article: Steelers Practice notebook 15: How long until Warren replaces Harris?

Lambert58

Reaction score

By my calculations - and these are unofficial - Willie Parker has gained more yardage in his first three NFL seasons, with the Steelers, than any other back in franchise history.

In spite of rushing for only 186 yards as a rookie, the undrafted free agent gained 1,202 and then 1,494 in the next two seasons to put his three-year total at 2,882 rushing yards.

Le'Veon Bell gained 2,777 in his first three and Franco Harris gained 2,759.

Someone tweeted that Najee Harris needs 700 yards to top them all, and so I'll believe it.

However, the Steelers may not have 600 carries to give him.

After watching practice yesterday, another day of unimpressive running by Harris II, I dubbed him "1.1."

So, at 600 carries, he's gaining 660 yards, and, yes, still enough to break Parker's current standing.

One point one?

Am I some kinda smart aleck?

Well, yes. But still, the numbers struck me because it's half Harris II's jersey number and a bit over the lone yard he seems to gain per carry against the first-team line. His obvious strain to get that yard is represented in the extra tenth.

Yesterday, the Steelers donned pads for probably the last time at St. Vincent College this summer, and it came as little surprise that Mike Tomlin wanted to hit hard one last time before Saturday's dress rehearsal preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.

"I just wanted to focus on physicality in the line of scrimmage run game," Tomlin said after a practice in which he ran Harris II twice in 7 Shots at a first-team defense that included Cameron Heyward, Isaiahh Loudermilk, T.J. Watt, Alex Highsmith, Kwon Alexander, Cole Holcomb, Damontae Kazee and Minkah Fitzpatrick. There was no nose tackle. Nickel back Chandon Sullivan was in the slot.

Harris II took the handoff on the first snap to Kenny Pickett and was tackled for a loss by Alexander.

Harris II took the second handoff and was stopped by the entire line.

Tomlin inserted last year's undrafted rookie Jaylen Warren, in place of the 2021 first-round pick, and he hit the hole like a cannon shot and scored easily.

Warren - cousin of the aforementioned Parker and gainer of 379 yards (at 4.9 per carry) as a rookie - scored another easy TD against the second team.

Anthony McFarland, against the second team, scored after a late surge facilitated by a pair of pistons that refused to stop firing.

Into the team scrimmage, this time with nose tackle Montravius Adams, Harris II continued his 1.1 style that's come to symbolize his third training camp.

I say style because it might just be that Harris II isn't going all out. The thinking behind that theory - as explained yesterday on sports talk radio - is that Harris got hurt trying too hard in camp last year and that injury dampened the first half of his season, in which he averaged only 3.3 yards per carry.

In the second half, after the bye had theoretically healed his foot injury, Harris II averaged 4.1 per carry.

It gave hope that his first-half sluggishness was all about health, and it's afforded him some breathing room while Warren repeatedly runs harder at this camp.

But I have to question the continuation of any such breathing room.

Is it the O-line?

That's what Harris II implied last year when he snarled at another reporter to "watch the tape" during the struggles of his first half.

But Warren doesn't seem to be having any such trouble. He runs hard, gets low, and fires into tacklers like a human bowling ball. He's increased his size this season through weight training, and it shows.

Kinda like the running back Chuck Noll wanted to draft in the first round of the 1972 draft, Robert Newhouse, instead of the tall running back he was talked into drafting instead, Harris I.

Franco Harris was a different breed of tall back, though. He had the power and acceleration and could cut at full speed.

But Najee Harris seems instead like the type of back Noll railed against, the tall runner without great speed who provides a large target for tacklers.

Noll was wrong about Harris I, but in Harris II perhaps we better understand his thinking.

Maybe I'm all wet here. But it's not because Harris snarls at me whenever I ask for an interview. I could not care less about that.

What I care about is this: As an analyst watching camp and providing insight to readers, I would be remiss in not reporting that I view Warren as the better running back. I believe he can put the Steelers' running game back on its foundational franchise pedestal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Najeh Harris, in the season before they decide whether to pick up his option… will get every opportunity to prove his worth to the team.

Maybe by season’s end Warren has supplanted him, buy ill bet he gets that 700 yards easily this year

By my calculations - and these are unofficial - Willie Parker has gained more yardage in his first three NFL seasons, with the Steelers, than any other back in franchise history.​

In spite of rushing for only 186 yards as a rookie, the undrafted free agent gained 1,202 and then 1,494 in the next two seasons to put his three-year total at 2,882 rushing yards.​

Le'Veon Bell gained 2,777 in his first three and Franco Harris gained 2,759.​

Someone tweeted that Najee Harris needs 700 yards to top them all, and so I'll believe it.​

However, the Steelers may not have 600 carries to give him.​

After watching practice yesterday, another day of unimpressive running by Harris II, I dubbed him "1.1."​

So, at 600 carries, he's gaining 660 yards, and, yes, still enough to break Parker's current standing.​

One point one?​

Am I some kinda smart aleck?​

Well, yes. But still, the numbers struck me because it's half Harris II's jersey number and a bit over the lone yard he seems to gain per carry against the first-team line. His obvious strain to get that yard is represented in the extra tenth.​

Yesterday, the Steelers donned pads for probably the last time at St. Vincent College this summer, and it came as little surprise that Mike Tomlin wanted to hit hard one last time before Saturday's dress rehearsal preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.​

"I just wanted to focus on physicality in the line of scrimmage run game," Tomlin said after a practice in which he ran Harris II twice in 7 Shots at a first-team defense that included Cameron Heyward, Isaiahh Loudermilk, T.J. Watt, Alex Highsmith, Kwon Alexander, Cole Holcomb, Damontae Kazee and Minkah Fitzpatrick. There was no nose tackle. Nickel back Chandon Sullivan was in the slot.​

Harris II took the handoff on the first snap to Kenny Pickett and was tackled for a loss by Alexander.​

Harris II took the second handoff and was stopped by the entire line.​

Tomlin inserted last year's undrafted rookie Jaylen Warren, in place of the 2021 first-round pick, and he hit the hole like a cannon shot and scored easily.​

Warren - cousin of the aforementioned Parker and gainer of 379 yards (at 4.9 per carry) as a rookie - scored another easy TD against the second team.​

Anthony McFarland, against the second team, scored after a late surge facilitated by a pair of pistons that refused to stop firing.​

Into the team scrimmage, this time with nose tackle Montravius Adams, Harris II continued his 1.1 style that's come to symbolize his third training camp.​

I say style because it might just be that Harris II isn't going all out. The thinking behind that theory - as explained yesterday on sports talk radio - is that Harris got hurt trying too hard in camp last year and that injury dampened the first half of his season, in which he averaged only 3.3 yards per carry.​

In the second half, after the bye had theoretically healed his foot injury, Harris II averaged 4.1 per carry.​

It gave hope that his first-half sluggishness was all about health, and it's afforded him some breathing room while Warren repeatedly runs harder at this camp.​

But I have to question the continuation of any such breathing room.​

Is it the O-line?​

That's what Harris II implied last year when he snarled at another reporter to "watch the tape" during the struggles of his first half.​

But Warren doesn't seem to be having any such trouble. He runs hard, gets low, and fires into tacklers like a human bowling ball. He's increased his size this season through weight training, and it shows.​

Kinda like the running back Chuck Noll wanted to draft in the first round of the 1972 draft, Robert Newhouse, instead of the tall running back he was talked into drafting instead, Harris I.​

Franco Harris was a different breed of tall back, though. He had the power and acceleration and could cut at full speed.​

But Najee Harris seems instead like the type of back Noll railed against, the tall runner without great speed who provides a large target for tacklers.​

Noll was wrong about Harris I, but in Harris II perhaps we better understand his thinking.​

Maybe I'm all wet here. But it's not because Harris snarls at me whenever I ask for an interview. I could not care less about that.​

What I care about is this: As an analyst watching camp and providing insight to readers, I would be remiss in not reporting that I view Warren as the better running back. I believe he can put the Steelers' running game back on its foundational franchise pedestal.​

Sir---thank you for the Post of the Day!

And yes---I whole heartily agree with your last paragraph!

Well, in any team sport you would expect the HC to go with the hot hand at a moments notice. So, I would expect Warren to get reps if Najee ******* out! But..... this team is coached by the fabulous Mikey T who's gut tells him everything! Also, filter in fact that Najee was a Round 1 draft pick and I would say there is no way in hell that Warren will ever start over Najee unless he is hurt, period...... Remember how bad Bush has sucked? Yet, he started every game so the bar is set pretty high as to how bad you need to be before Mikey benches your butt! Najee would have to put the ball on the ground 5 times during a game before he is benched, just sayin'!

By my calculations - and these are unofficial - Willie Parker has gained more yardage in his first three NFL seasons, with the Steelers, than any other back in franchise history.​

In spite of rushing for only 186 yards as a rookie, the undrafted free agent gained 1,202 and then 1,494 in the next two seasons to put his three-year total at 2,882 rushing yards.​

Le'Veon Bell gained 2,777 in his first three and Franco Harris gained 2,759.​

Someone tweeted that Najee Harris needs 700 yards to top them all, and so I'll believe it.​

However, the Steelers may not have 600 carries to give him.​

After watching practice yesterday, another day of unimpressive running by Harris II, I dubbed him "1.1."​

So, at 600 carries, he's gaining 660 yards, and, yes, still enough to break Parker's current standing.​

One point one?​

Am I some kinda smart aleck?​

Well, yes. But still, the numbers struck me because it's half Harris II's jersey number and a bit over the lone yard he seems to gain per carry against the first-team line. His obvious strain to get that yard is represented in the extra tenth.​

Yesterday, the Steelers donned pads for probably the last time at St. Vincent College this summer, and it came as little surprise that Mike Tomlin wanted to hit hard one last time before Saturday's dress rehearsal preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.​

"I just wanted to focus on physicality in the line of scrimmage run game," Tomlin said after a practice in which he ran Harris II twice in 7 Shots at a first-team defense that included Cameron Heyward, Isaiahh Loudermilk, T.J. Watt, Alex Highsmith, Kwon Alexander, Cole Holcomb, Damontae Kazee and Minkah Fitzpatrick. There was no nose tackle. Nickel back Chandon Sullivan was in the slot.​

Harris II took the handoff on the first snap to Kenny Pickett and was tackled for a loss by Alexander.​

Harris II took the second handoff and was stopped by the entire line.​

Tomlin inserted last year's undrafted rookie Jaylen Warren, in place of the 2021 first-round pick, and he hit the hole like a cannon shot and scored easily.​

Warren - cousin of the aforementioned Parker and gainer of 379 yards (at 4.9 per carry) as a rookie - scored another easy TD against the second team.​

Anthony McFarland, against the second team, scored after a late surge facilitated by a pair of pistons that refused to stop firing.​

Into the team scrimmage, this time with nose tackle Montravius Adams, Harris II continued his 1.1 style that's come to symbolize his third training camp.​

I say style because it might just be that Harris II isn't going all out. The thinking behind that theory - as explained yesterday on sports talk radio - is that Harris got hurt trying too hard in camp last year and that injury dampened the first half of his season, in which he averaged only 3.3 yards per carry.​

In the second half, after the bye had theoretically healed his foot injury, Harris II averaged 4.1 per carry.​

It gave hope that his first-half sluggishness was all about health, and it's afforded him some breathing room while Warren repeatedly runs harder at this camp.​

But I have to question the continuation of any such breathing room.​

Is it the O-line?​

That's what Harris II implied last year when he snarled at another reporter to "watch the tape" during the struggles of his first half.​

But Warren doesn't seem to be having any such trouble. He runs hard, gets low, and fires into tacklers like a human bowling ball. He's increased his size this season through weight training, and it shows.​

Kinda like the running back Chuck Noll wanted to draft in the first round of the 1972 draft, Robert Newhouse, instead of the tall running back he was talked into drafting instead, Harris I.​

Franco Harris was a different breed of tall back, though. He had the power and acceleration and could cut at full speed.​

But Najee Harris seems instead like the type of back Noll railed against, the tall runner without great speed who provides a large target for tacklers.​

Noll was wrong about Harris I, but in Harris II perhaps we better understand his thinking.​

Maybe I'm all wet here. But it's not because Harris snarls at me whenever I ask for an interview. I could not care less about that.​

What I care about is this: As an analyst watching camp and providing insight to readers, I would be remiss in not reporting that I view Warren as the better running back. I believe he can put the Steelers' running game back on its foundational franchise pedestal.​

I'll add some context
Bell played 35 games in his first three seasons.
Parker played 39 but got just 32 carries his first season.
Harris played 34 games in his first 2 seasons.

To compare the Steeler greats to Harris is disrespectful.
A better comparison would be Rashard Mendenhall a first rounder with all the hype and draft capital, the build, but not enough talent. That would be a fairer comparison to make at this point.

I would not be surprised if Xavien Valladay the udfa signed this week outplays Harris, and he may not even make the team.
He probably won't get the chance to play but he atleast has speed and vision, 2 things Najee will never have.

This one if it doesn’t work out is gonna leave a mark. To think we drafted Najee and could have drafted our center Creed Humphrey who is a perennial all pro. I wanted Creed over any RB but no, we had to draft a RB. I would be fine with Warren as my feature back with an all pro center.

Count Wexell as maybe the first reporter to criticize Harris. Poni was talking about Harris on the radio earlier this week and thought it was odd there were no glowing reports on Harris out of this training camp. I often say on this board he gets more excuses than any player on this team, meanwhile other running backs playing behind bad offensive lines are more productive. Harris came to the Steelers at an instant-impact position and hasn't lived up to the first-round investment. I do think he's going to have a big year because the entire offseason was designed to boost the ground game.

First off, to be very clear::::::::::::::::::::::::

If Najee Harris is holding back in camp and our HC is allowing that to happen……… WTF….Special Treatment or something to that nature ????

Is he “double hand ,little pinky twist secret—-HURT”, allowing him the luxury of playing it soft.?

YOU are what YOU practice. If Najee is playing soft, he will be soft. If our HC is allowing this ****, then he’s an idiot.!

Salute the nation

I would not be surprised if Xavien Valladay the udfa signed this week outplays Harris
Now that's quite a statement.

Players with roster spots tied up often don’t play with reckless abandon in practice… others light it up but can’t do that in live games… its why practice camp results need to be taken with a grain of salt

Najee's running style seems to be made for Nov/Dec/Jan football.
When the weather goes "south"....Najee seems to go further "north"...

With that being said...

My running back splits would look like this:

Pre November
Warren - 50%
Najee - 40%
Macfarland 10%

November
Harris - 65%
Warren - 25%
Macfarland - 10%

Does this qualify me to take O'Canada's job?!? ;)

No. We need more Warren and McFarland in November. But you are approaching the qualifications necessary to supplant Master Crayon.

Najee's running style seems to be made for Nov/Dec/Jan football.
When the weather goes "south"....Najee seems to go further "north"...

With that being said...

My running back splits would look like this:

Pre November
Warren - 50%
Najee - 40%
Macfarland 10%

November
Harris - 65%
Warren - 25%
Macfarland - 10%

Does this qualify me to take O'Canada's job?!? ;)
Third string rbs get zero reps… last year Snell got carries in 3 total games. 20 total.. 12 of those came in the game Warren was out. 6 came tge week after when he was still dinged… and i think the final two came the week after that… 3rbs basically never get carries at all… barring injuries

No. We need more Warren and McFarland in November. But you are approaching the qualifications necessary to supplant Master Crayon.
Agreed...but don't know how healthy he will feel come that time..
Might be time to shut him down a bit..

Being more of the featured back for 6-8 games is a physical challenge..

Reactions: xjx
First off, to be very clear::::::::::::::::::::::::

If Najee Harris is holding back in camp and our HC is allowing that to happen……… WTF….Special Treatment or something to that nature ????

Is he “double hand ,little pinky twist secret—-HURT”, allowing him the luxury of playing it soft.?

YOU are what YOU practice. If Najee is playing soft, he will be soft. If our HC is allowing this ****, then he’s an idiot.!

Salute the nation
Playing soft for fear of incurring an injury is the quickest way to get injured. I doubt that's the issue but you're right, if he is taking it easy, MT should be in his grill before some safety with a running start gets there first.

What concerns me is what was pounded on in the article and by many of this site's participants, Harris' vision. I completely agree that there's been many instances where he has nowhere to go due to some poor play by the OL. When he does have an opening especially off the left or right hip of the OT, he seems determined to out run the pursuit without change of direction. There's times when a cut back towards the seam appears readily available but Najee continues straight relying on his inertia and strength for an additional 5 yards or whatever. I'm not sure it's his vision or a lack of confidence to quickly change direction with speed and cut against the flow of pursuit.