• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Article: Steelers Practice notebook 15: How long until Warren replaces Harris?

My 2 cents---

You really need 2 very capable running backs in the NFL.

Even though Najee hasn't really looked like a mid first round selection running back in his career as of yet, although has had some flashes.....I think the combo of both of these guys makes them "better together"...and ultimately the team better.

Harris never ran at the combine or his pro day. IMO, he is a 4.64 guy or slower. We will never just how slow he is because he isn't running any NFL timed events. His acceleration to the hole sucks. Just look at his career yards per carry and yards per catch. They rate the worst in the NFL among projected starting 2023 NFL running backs. This is not an accident.

I did not want him on draft day, I preferred RB Travis Eteinne.
Google says he did run at his pro day or a pro day and ran a 4.45 for whatever it is worth. Warren ran 4.55. I definitely don't think Najee is a 4.64 guy or slower in the least. We'll see what he can do this year healthy and with finally a decent line. But, they will still be using him on the obvious running downs to wear D's down and there will be extra men in the box. Warren typically isn't used that way and is why they look like complete different types of RB's - because they are and specifically using them that way.

Last edited:
I hope they adjust based on output. Warren definitely has more burst and is able to break big plays. Can Warren be a 30 carry a game guy? Damn I just don't know. Najee is more built for that but he definitely isn't breaking those big runs, at least not that we have seen.

I have Stats, you have an agenda. I am not making judgements just relaying stats. The stats could change I am aware of that.
Name 1 even decent RB in the league who averages over a yard per carry less than their backup assuming the backup has 70+ touches
From a few-teams last year: James Cook over Singletary in Buffalo. Breece hall over Knight in New York, technically Tony pollard over Elliott from Dallas, deandre Smith over Jamaal Williams on the lions.. and thats just spot checking ten random teams… there are TONs of cases of that, and it gets way more interesting if you dont have your overly specific criteria attached to that. Derik Henry’s backup outrished him by 2.2 ypa… but didn’t get 70 carries… in SF mccafferies top two backups both were over 6 ypa and each had 45 carries… in indianapolis, Johnathan Taylors top backup outrushed him, but only by .3 ypa…

And what Agenda do I have? I don’t care who starts… im simply pointing out that backups often have better stats but when they become starters they often end up being about the same as the previous starter…

You are the guy pushing Harris hate across a whole bunch of threads… I could care less about whether Harris is the starter or not…

Google says he did run at his pro day or a pro and ran a 4.45 for whatever it is worth. Warren ran 4.55. I definitely don't think Najee is a 4.64 guy or slower in the least. We'll see what he can do this year healthy and with finally a decent line. But, they will still be using him on the obvious running downs to wear D's down and there will be extra men in the box. Warren typically isn't used that way and is why they look like complete different types of RB's - because they are and they are specifically using them that way.
If he did he ran it at the UG campus, not the electronically timed NFL combine or the well observed pro day which Harris DID NOT run at. Google is quoting fake news. The is no way Harris moves like a 4.45 guy that was Etienne's time ( who I wanted that draft and sad so over Harris ) and we have all see his big runs. Few catch him.

IMO Harris is a 4.65 guy, most certainty over 4.60

Can I see the google link by the way.

Me weighing in, my 2 cents.......
I won't cite stats, 40s, metrics, athleticism, build, speed, whatever you want to judge by.
But I will say this.
Warren passes the eye test WAY more. Warren appears to choose the correct hole. Warren appears to see the line of scrimmage/blocking/lanes FAR FAR better than Harris.
If you want to say Warren has better vision or Warren is smarter? I'm in that camp.
Harris seems unsure, or tepid/timid, or no instinct for what's happening around him. I think Harris may think his athleticism can do enough for him.
I'm not calling him dumb, or that he doesn't study, or doesn't care.
I think Warren is just more instinctual and has a better feel for the running game.

I told a buddy of mine that I would not be surprised if it was an even split backfield to start the year, but Warren taking a hold of the job by week 5.
And I say that with some reservation simply because of Canada and his scheming.

I won't cite stats, 40s, metrics, athleticism, build, speed, whatever you want to judge by.
But I will say this.
Warren passes the eye test WAY more. Warren appears to choose the correct hole. Warren appears to see the line of scrimmage/blocking/lanes FAR FAR better than Harris.
If you want to say Warren has better vision or Warren is smarter? I'm in that camp.
Harris seems unsure, or tepid/timid, or no instinct for what's happening around him. I think Harris may think his athleticism can do enough for him.
I think Warren is just more instinctual and has a better feel for the running game.

I told a buddy of mine that I would not be surprised if it was an even split backfield to start the year, but Warren taking a hold of the job by week 5.

Great post fedderone, thank you.

By week 5, it will be known about O’Canada being legit or not. That is my biggest question mark for this season.

As for RB, that will take care of itself. Najee has proven he is a work horse and can move the chains.

Warren has proven starter capability and definitely a “change of back” type player.

Both have their personal strengths and could do well in the starter role.

Salute the nation

If he did he ran it at the UG campus, not the electronically timed NFL combine or the well observed pro day which Harris DID NOT run at. Google is quoting fake news. The is no way Harris moves like a 4.45 guy that was Etienne's time ( who I wanted that draft and sad so over Harris ) and we have all see his big runs. Few catch him.

IMO Harris is a 4.65 guy, most certainty over 4.60

Can I see the google link by the way.
so google is quoting fake news and you drop a link to wikipedia?

Great post fedderone, thank you.

By week 5, it will be known about O’Canada being legit or not. That is my biggest question mark for this season.

As for RB, that will take care of itself. Najee has proven he is a work horse and can move the chains.

Warren has proven starter capability and definitely a “change of back” type player.

Both have their personal strengths and could do well in the starter role.

Salute the nation
Don't get me wrong.
I don't think either Warren or Harris will be the "workhorse" back of this Canada offense.
Speaking in fantasy tongues, I see this as a RBBC approach.
Someone in an earlier post said it best.......Because Najee is a 1st round pick, we're not just casting him aside, and he will be afforded every opportunity to try and get the extension.
I personally don't see it happening, nor think it should.
I thought it was a wasted pick at the time ( STILL crying over missing Humphreys ) and Najee has done nothing to disprove that notion.

Harris did not run at the combine nor his pro day. He is not fast. I would say he is loser to 4.7 than 4.5. Just my opinion from watching his tape. But he also is a long strider which is why I feel he needs to get to the second level to get going. He needs a hole to get momentum going. Jaylen Warren had a 4.54 forty at the combine which is pretty middle of the pack. But his 1.54 is 70th percentile which is above average. Meaning he hits the hole and with his size and muscular frame bursts through the other side of it. Najee too often is getting hit in it and using his size to fall forward.

I am not giving up on Najee. But if the Steelers don't increase Jaylen Warrens workload they are insane. He has earned a larger piece of the pie. And the fact Najee is one of the people on that RB zoom call having the butt hurt feelings thinking that this is still 20 years ago and the bell cow RB is a need. Sorry, with the new pass happy NFL RBs will be by committee. At least until college players start playing CB, LB, and WR because they don't want to be RBs anymore. Then it might get tougher to find a 2-3 committee to use in situational football.

But I will say this.

Great post, stats favor Warren but the eye test is the slam dunk.
Jaylen is just far better at not getting tackled and having a nose for daylight. Troy wasn't the fastest 40 guy but he was so explosive and powerful, his field awareness was some of the best I've seen, always seemed to be in perfect field position to close in like a missle.
Warrens explosive power reminds me so much of Troy, those polynesians are built different, the epitome of fast twitch.

From a few-teams last year: James Cook over Singletary in Buffalo. Breece hall over Knight in New York, technically Tony pollard over Elliott from Dallas, deandre Smith over Jamaal Williams on the lions.. and thats just spot checking ten random teams… there are TONs of cases of that, and it gets way more interesting if you dont have your overly specific criteria attached to that. Derik Henry’s backup outrished him by 2.2 ypa… but didn’t get 70 carries… in SF mccafferies top two backups both were over 6 ypa and each had 45 carries… in indianapolis, Johnathan Taylors top backup outrushed him, but only by .3 ypa…

And what Agenda do I have? I don’t care who starts… im simply pointing out that backups often have better stats but when they become starters they often end up being about the same as the previous starter…

You are the guy pushing Harris hate across a whole bunch of threads… I could care less about whether Harris is the starter or not…
James cook, Breece Hall and Tony pollard all took the starting jobs. See we do agree?
I don't hate Harris at all, I hope he comes out and makes me eat crow this year, I just want to see the Steelers to have the most firepower on the field. The offense has been bottom of the Barrel rushing for years at this point. After watching the greats like, Bettis, Parker, and Bell. its been tough to watch. We need to see what we have in Warren regardless of draft pedigree the best guy needs to get the ball if we want the best chance of winning.

NFL history is riddled with undrafted FAs and late round picks getting opportunities and making most of it at the expense of higher round picks.
Rod Smith, Tom Brady, and our own Donnie Shell.
The draft is all lottery tickets.
Signing UFAs is all lottery tickets.
Who cares what round they were taken, or the rookie contract you're paying them.
They're on your team now, and you can clearly see what they can do.
USE THEM.

Don't get me wrong.
I don't think either Warren or Harris will be the "workhorse" back of this Canada offense.
Speaking in fantasy tongues, I see this as a RBBC approach.
Someone in an earlier post said it best.......Because Najee is a 1st round pick, we're not just casting him aside, and he will be afforded every opportunity to try and get the extension.
I personally don't see it happening, nor think it should.
I thought it was a wasted pick at the time ( STILL crying over missing Humphreys ) and Najee has done nothing to disprove that notion.
Man, I on board on the missing Creed Humphrys. I thought that was the dumbest mistake at drafting I’d seen in a VERY long time. Najee or any other 1st rnd RB would ever live up to what CREED would have brought to the table.

ADD in what they finally picked (3rd rnd) for Center position and one can see the disgust. (Keep in mind it wasn’t Greens fault on how that played out).

Great Minds, Spirit World or not, can think alike.

Salute the nation