• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Artie Burns tape vs the Panthers

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
To be fair that clip was only 1 min 9 sec long. Coach says he uses 4 min clips. Gives you a larger body of work. Those shorter clips the professionals like Coach don't bother with. I think High School coaches know that much. Or so Coach says so.

I think I just shat my pants!!!

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Quick someone get me a tape measure. We need a cranium circumference measurement on the kid stat!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
This is a game and each and every athlete will get fooled. It's limiting the amounts of time you are fooled, that turns you into a better player. Coaching is going to do this. The fact that he saw no time in preseason, and they threw him into a game, this tape is to be expected. I'm sure in post game film study, he will see his mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

I like what I saw when the ball was in the air. And it's been a while since I've seen any of our CBs make plays on balls in the air consistently, aside from Big Play Willie Gay!

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
This is a game and each and every athlete will get fooled. It's limiting the amounts of time you are fooled, that turns you into a better player. Coaching is going to do this. The fact that he saw no time in preseason, and they threw him into a game, this tape is to be expected. I'm sure in post game film study, he will see his mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

I like what I saw when the ball was in the air. And it's been a while since I've seen any of our CBs make plays on balls in the air consistently, aside from Big Play Willie Gay!

I'm still waiting for him to find his post on Burns where he was referring to being fooled in the run game. Since he before and after he was drafted when he used the word fooled it always referred to the passing game and falling for double moves.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Anyone switching from College to NFL has a learning curve. Ike took quite awhile to become an elite CB.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
To be honest and I am the guy you can look back in thread and thread again said I HATED the Burns pick. I would have traded back with Denver and received their 1st and 3rd and taken Myles Jack with the first round we got from Denver, Carl Nassib with our second round, Javon Hargrave 89th, Justin Simmons 98th (broncos), Deiondre Hall 123rd, Feeney at 220th, Keith Marshall at 229, and Keyarris Garrett Tulsa.

I still think my draft has a lot more key pieces. Jack will start, Nassib lead the browns in preseason sacks, Hargrave starts for us, Simmons in a loaded secondary will be in on 3 safety plays, Hall looked good in preseason and is their #3 CB, Feeney is on our PS, Marshall got hurt, Garrett is on the panthers PS.

BUT I saw a lot of things I did not expect from Burns. He broke on the ball well, was pretty physical on a few tackles, and seemed to not be totally lost for his first NFL action. Yes, he made some bad plays and mental mistakes but that will happen for a rookie. I would say his arrow is pointing up.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for him to find his post on Burns where he was referring to being fooled in the run game. Since he before and after he was drafted when he used the word fooled it always referred to the passing game and falling for double moves.

There's a thread on it a while back. If you need more help breaking down these clips, you can always PM me :)

You have issues with what the film says. You initially denied that Davis was badly beaten in the Saints game, and it took a while for you to come around and change your language to admit Burns gave up a long run because he was out of position...vs a backup running back. The film does not lie, you just need to be objective and watch what happens. I saw something similar where you said Chickillo gave up the edge in an earlier pre-season game. NO, he did not, that was Heyward.

You're 0-3 on flim clips.

Tomlin doesn't like to play rookies in general, but this time, he might have to. Even if he plays poorly as a rookie, I won't say Burns is a bust. If he has a big head, so be it! But if his wonderlic score is low...

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
There's a thread on it a while back. If you need more help breaking down these clips, you can always PM me :)

You have issues with what the film says. You initially denied that Davis was badly beaten in the Saints game, and it took a while for you to come around and change your language to admit Burns gave up a long run because he was out of position...vs a backup running back. The film does not lie, you just need to be objective and watch what happens. I saw something similar where you said Chickillo gave up the edge in an earlier pre-season game. NO, he did not, that was Heyward.

You're 0-3 on flim clips.

Tomlin doesn't like to play rookies in general, but this time, he might have to. Even if he plays poorly as a rookie, I won't say Burns is a bust. If he has a big head, so be it! But if his wonderlic score is low...

SMH don't tell me about it find the post where you referring to his run support when you were referring to his tendency to be fooled. You won't find it. Because you were talking about Pass coverage. Of course you will use any negative play to support your bullshit. Burns made a simple rookie mistake that tons of rookie have made. And guess what he will make more. That doesn't make you right.

Davis was not burned and chickillo lost contain not Heyward on that play..chickillo did the same thing Burns did went inside when he shouldn't have. Heyward made no attempt to to get outside at all on that play none didn't take one step toward the outside. Chickillo tried a inside move and lost contain.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
SMH don't tell me about it find the post where you referring to his run support when you were referring to his tendency to be fooled. You won't find it. Because you were talking about Pass coverage. Of course you will use any negative play to support your bullshit. Burns made a simple rookie mistake that tons of rookie have made. And guess what he will make more. That doesn't make you right.

Davis was not burned and chickillo lost contain not Heyward on that play..chickillo did the same thing Burns did went inside when he shouldn't have. Heyward made no attempt to to get outside at all on that play none didn't take one step toward the outside. Chickillo tried a inside move and lost contain.

Now you're 0-4. I did say he's weak vs the run in other threads. See the thread when he was drafted. There's likely more out there if you want to look...

http://www.steelernation.com/forum/...rtie-Burns-Miami/page6&highlight=draft+review

My take on Burns. The good, the bad, and the ugly

The Steelers very likely turned down the Broncos offer for their third round in round three. I would argue that Burns would be there for us at Denver's pick #31 overall and we could have used a third round pick!
Denver very liked called the Steelers to avoid the risk of another team calling trying to trade up for Lynch.

Our pass defense was ranked 30th, and gave up 29 touchdowns through the air, however, we also played 7 back -up Quarterbacks, so when you factor that it, it's in even worse shape than the statics show.

Everyone knows we need a corner. Gay is getting older and Blake who left via free agency was #1 in terms of yardage given up among CB's.

Burns:

nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/artie-burns?id=2555344

I have seen Burns play live and can tell you the coaching at UM is a mess. The kid is very raw. He's an athlete playing cornerback, and can look good on one play and terrible on the next. At age 20, he's 2-3 years younger than most prospects. While he has the height, speed, long arms and ball skills I like in a cornerback, he's weak vs. the run and was flagged 6 times last year, two for unsportsmanlike conduct.

So he's an upside project that needs a lot of work and a bit weak vs. the run. Bruns might not be ready to start until 2017, which means the DB's are not going to get much better unless Golson or Grant show something. Since we spent a first round pick here, odds are neither will impress enough. I liked Grant. I think Golson was a bad 2nd round pick.

It's very hard to rate a 20-year-old at corner. Unknown to me is his character off the field, his football character on the field, his Wonderlic score, and his psychological test score. UM has some troubled types off the field. Can this raw 20-year old learn? Is he willing to work hard? Burns could have used another year in school but due to his mom passing and his father being incarcerated he's opting to go pro.

Final thoughts: I'm not happy missing an opportunity to trade down, and since no CB's were taken after Burns, there is a very good chance he would be there at pick #31. My best guess is Burns will be beaten early in his NFL career and has a slower learning curve. The Steelers will need to be patient with him, even though our pass defense needs help NOW.

While the need for a cornerback is high, Burns to me is more of a 2nd round talent. I think he'll end up as a 1st round disappoint.

Grade for need A. We need a corner badly.
Grade for value in the round C- Burns was a reach.
Grade for not taken the trade if offered F
Grade for NFL upside A

**What type of player I think he will be.** Very difficult to project due his age and willingness and ability to learn. I'll say B- just an okay NFL starter with a high bust potential.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Again where are you saying that when fooled you were talking about the run game? Everyone on the board knows he was weak in run support we didn't care about that. We know the Steelers teach that their CBs will have to tackle. Gilbert has the same thing said about him. When you talking about being fooled you were talking about double moves and such in the pass game. You are not going to take every rookie mistake made and fit it in what you said the reasons for why you said he would not be a good fit for us. Because we drafted him for his coverage damn sure wasn't his run defense

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...y-artie-burns-following-justin-gilbert-trade/

Burns turning up the heat. Competition with Gilbert partly responsible??

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Thing is me and Joe blow could watch game tape and get something different from it than say the Steelers coaches scouts players, etc.

I found that out just comparing TMCs notes VS mine.

So coach lets try to get off the high horse with your limited tape watching. And making it out more than it is.

And then you quote draft evals who have 120 different "opinions".

We can say opinions and sometimes be right sometimes be wrong. But they are just that opinions.

Until the body of work becomes obvious. As in watching them game in and game out.

Even that gets all ****** up as some had Timmons as a scrub for a decade.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Thing is me and Joe blow could watch game tape and get something different from it than say the Steelers coaches scouts players, etc.

I found that out just comparing TMCs notes VS mine.

So coach lets try to get off the high horse with your limited tape watching. And making it out more than it is.

And then you quote draft evals who have 120 different "opinions".

We can say opinions and sometimes be right sometimes be wrong. But they are just that opinions.

Until the body of work becomes obvious. As in watching them game in and game out.

Even that gets all ****** up as some had Timmons as a scrub for a decade.

Spot on post.