• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Average tenure of an NFL Head Coach

We won some play off games in the 80s, currently not so much. Nothing in the last 7 years or 3 short of a decade. I’m not comparing todays team to the 80s, but we also had a Franchise QB at the helm for 1/2 the decade, not so much in the 80s.

That's the thing. The 1980s were bad, but the Steelers have had no more post season success over the past decade than they had then.

I'm not really sure how many owners would put up with such a long stretch without winning a playoff game.

I know Mike Brown did it with Marvin Lewis, and Tomlin really hasn't been that much better than Lewis for a long time. Lewis had losing seasons, but had a winning career record in the regular season. He just couldn't win in January, which something Tomlin is becoming known for.

Tomlin took over a team that had just won a Super Bowl a year prior, and managed to win one and reach another with the same core of players.

It's probably not a coincidence the post season success largely came to a halt once those Cowher-era players began to age and retire over a decade ago.

There are potential advantages to having continuity at the coaching the position, but when a team has been treading water and making no real progress toward winning a championship for such a long time, one has to start to question whether the coach is just being kept around for the sake of tradition and wearing the "three coaches in half a century" designation as a badge of owner.

As I keep bringing up, Tomlin has now been coaching the Steelers longer than Cowher, and Cowher brought a hell of a lot more to the table in his last several years than Tomlin has.

At some point, one just has to acknowledge that a coach has reached his expiration date with a team. If the Patriots can move on from Belichick, the Steelers sure as hell can move on from Tomlin.

That's what really bugs me about Tomlin. Yeah, that mantra worked for the Steelers in the 1970's, and other teams in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s, but the NFL has changed, man. You have to be able to adapt to what your opponent is doing, and beat them strategically. That We do what we do ship sailed a long time ago.
Others have said this but the whole "we are not looking for style points" as a mantra to mask sloppy play vs lesser opponents was an early red flag.

That's the thing. The 1980s were bad, but the Steelers have had no more post season success over the past decade than they had then.

I'm not really sure how many owners would put up with such a long stretch without winning a playoff game.

I know Mike Brown did it with Marvin Lewis, and Tomlin really hasn't been that much better than Lewis for a long time. Lewis had losing seasons, but had a winning career record in the regular season. He just couldn't win in January, which something Tomlin is becoming known for.

Tomlin took over a team that had just won a Super Bowl a year prior, and managed to win one and reach another with the same core of players.

It's probably not a coincidence the post season success largely came to a halt once those Cowher-era players began to age and retire over a decade ago.

There are potential advantages to having continuity at the coaching the position, but when a team has been treading water and making no real progress toward winning a championship for such a long time, one has to start to question whether the coach is just being kept around for the sake of tradition and wearing the "three coaches in half a century" designation as a badge of owner.

As I keep bringing up, Tomlin has now been coaching the Steelers longer than Cowher, and Cowher brought a hell of a lot more to the table in his last several years than Tomlin has.

At some point, one just has to acknowledge that a coach has reached his expiration date with a team. If the Patriots can move on from Belichick, the Steelers sure as hell can move on from Tomlin.
Well said. Others may disagree, but some of the plucky Steelers teams of the 1980s were a lot more fun to watch like 1984 and 1989 compared to some of these squeak in the playoffs Tomlin teams.

It is a good sign that Rooney did not give Tomlin an extension this past year. Hopefully he does not this summer as well

It is a good sign that Rooney did not give Tomlin an extension this past year. Hopefully he does not this summer as well

Would Rooney actually not extend the Tomlin, at least one year.

That would be “dead Man Walking”, unless Rooney had an agreement with the Tomlin..

Maybe a play off win is in the mix…………………..

Salute the nation

Would Rooney actually not extend the Tomlin, at least one year.

That would be “dead Man Walking”, unless Rooney had an agreement with the Tomlin..

Maybe a play off win is in the mix…………………..

Salute the nation
I would take a playoff loss or even missing the playoffs for change