• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Back to the subject of climate science

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
In the Lefts never ending quest to monitise our environment, some levity can prevail.

u1EaRxz.jpg

al-gore-hall-monitor-junior-high-i8592.jpg

185732_600.jpg

No levity here, just scary reality.

RbYkK1Y.jpg

Nice cartoons cartoon man, now how about some facts.

Since you like pictures:

On the left the two clouds(Min and max) give you an idea of how small volcano emissions are compared to human emissions on the right:

volcanicco2smaller.jpg

https://www.skepticalscience.com/volcanoes-and-global-warming.htm

The solid Earth contains a huge quantity of carbon, far more than scientists estimate is present in the atmosphere or oceans. As an important part of the global carbon cycle, some of this carbon is slowly released from the rocks in the form of carbon dioxide, through vents at volcanoes and hot springs. Published reviews of the scientific literature by Mörner and Etiope (2002) and Kerrick (2001) report a minimum-maximum range of emission of 65 to 319 million tonnes of CO2 per year. Counter claims that volcanoes, especially submarine volcanoes, produce vastly greater amounts of CO2 than these estimates are not supported by any papers published by the scientists who study the subject.

The burning of fossil fuels and changes in land use results in the emission into the atmosphere of approximately 30 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide per year worldwide, according to the EIA. The fossil fuels emissions numbers are about 100 times bigger than even the maximum estimated volcanic CO2 fluxes. Our understanding of volcanic discharges would have to be shown to be very mistaken before volcanic CO2 discharges could be considered anything but a bit player in contributing to the recent changes observed in the concentration of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere.

Hey but never mind the science you've got cartoons.......

Bawk! Bawk! Bawk! The sky is falling!

"Experts" said Arctic sea ice would melt entirely by September 2016 - they were wrong

Dire predictions that the Arctic would be devoid of sea ice by September this year have proven to be unfounded after latest satellite images showed there is far more now than in 2012.

Scientists such as Prof Peter Wadhams, of Cambridge University, and Prof Wieslaw Maslowski, of the Naval Postgraduate School in Moderey, California, have regularly forecast the loss of ice by 2016, which has been widely reported by the BBC and other media outlets.

Prof Wadhams, a leading expert on Arctic sea ice loss, has recently published a book entitled A Farewell To Ice in which he repeats the assertion that the polar region would free of ice in the middle of this decade.

As late as this summer, he was still predicting an ice-free September.

Yet, when figures were released for the yearly minimum on September 10, they showed that there was still 1.6 million square miles of sea ice (4.14 square kilometres), which was 21 per cent more than the lowest point in 2012.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...sea-ice-would-melt-entirely-by-september-201/

------------------------

Just the facts, ma'am

Like with all science fiction, they will just re-write the next book to push the future timeline out farther

Why does elfiePolo give a **** about this issue? He said very clearly more than a year ago that "our fate is already sealed."

Yet here he is, more than a year later, saying, "Oh, we have to jump in and stop the climate apocalypse!!"

Wait, stop something that already happened?

Why does elfiePolo give a **** about this issue? He said very clearly more than a year ago that "our fate is already sealed."

Yet here he is, more than a year later, saying, "Oh, we have to jump in and stop the climate apocalypse!!"

Liberals don't really give a crap about climate change, it's all about getting more control over people.

No i said that i believe it's too late to avoid some of the worst of it. By the fate of the human race i'm referring to civilization as we know it.

The human species will not go extinct, even in the worst scenario.

No i said that i believe it's too late to avoid some of the worst of it. By the fate of the human race i'm referring to civilization as we know it.

The human species will not go extinct, even in the worst scenario.

Okay, but that was a year ago.

Another year of unfettered CO2 emissions ... we must be cooked by now.

I am not a climate doomsdayer nor am I a denier. While I believe that man may be contributing to the CO2 emissions, we are not the COMPLETE problem.

As history shows, CO2 level increases have been followed closely by plant growth explosions. The problem we have here is that we have caused huge deforestation problems as well as complete removal of green spaces. Without the area to allow for massive plant growth, we decrease the ability of the planet to capture the excess CO2.

I also believe we can not expect to return to pre-1800 or 1900 levels with the population levels were are currently supporting. More people require more food, which requires use of more resources, with increase resource consumption. Maybe all the doomsdayers will volunteer to be euthanized to help with this problem. Start signing them up not.

"Experts" said Arctic sea ice would melt entirely by September 2016 - they were wrong

Dire predictions that the Arctic would be devoid of sea ice by September this year have proven to be unfounded after latest satellite images showed there is far more now than in 2012.

Scientists such as Prof Peter Wadhams, of Cambridge University, and Prof Wieslaw Maslowski, of the Naval Postgraduate School in Moderey, California, have regularly forecast the loss of ice by 2016, which has been widely reported by the BBC and other media outlets.

Prof Wadhams, a leading expert on Arctic sea ice loss, has recently published a book entitled A Farewell To Ice in which he repeats the assertion that the polar region would free of ice in the middle of this decade.

Yet, when figures were released for the yearly minimum on September 10, they showed that there was still 1.6 million square miles of sea ice (4.14 square kilometres), which was 21 per cent more than the lowest point in 2012.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...sea-ice-would-melt-entirely-by-september-201/

------------------------

Just the facts, ma'am

Like with all science fiction, they will just re-write the next book to push the future timeline out farther

I've never once heard a report of sea ice being gone by 2016. That would lead to an incredible increase in sea level around the world, and it would have been something every country would have had to prepare for.

If you don't think sea ice is melting in the arctic, then you must have missed what is going on with the countries at the top of the world, and how they are positioning themselves to open and secure trade routes as the ice retreats. Russia is on top of this. The US, Canada, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, and Finland are on the front of what could become an Arctic conflict in the next decade or so.

As history shows, CO2 level increases have been followed closely by plant growth explosions. The problem we have here is that we have caused huge deforestation problems as well as complete removal of green spaces. Without the area to allow for massive plant growth, we decrease the ability of the planet to capture the excess CO2. .

I think that this argument is more plausible than any cow fart, back yard BBQ pit or evil fossil fuel version. I like clean air as much as the next guy but there is a limit to what makes good common sense. The pendulum never rests as we go to extremes in a quest for individual idealism.

I can't wait to see the end of this Obama regime's overzealous mandates and hope to hell that we don't see round duex in the form of a Hillary invasion. I don't believe our economy will be able to survive another onslaught like we've had to sustain this past century.

XpGiJDe.png

------------------------

Just the facts, ma'am

well it is not a exact "science"

I think that this argument is more plausible than any cow fart, back yard BBQ pit or evil fossil fuel version. I like clean air as much as the next guy but there is a limit to what makes good common sense. The pendulum never rests as we go to extremes in a quest for individual idealism.

I can't wait to see the end of this Obama regime's overzealous mandates and hope to hell that we don't see round duex in the form of a Hillary invasion. I don't believe our economy will be able to survive another onslaught like we've had to sustain this past century.

Yet the Republican Congress delays a Dept. of Labor overtime change that would result in me getting paid more money but somehow never blocks anything that Bomma's EPA wants to do.

Hillary Clinton urges Florida voters not to elect 'climate change denier' Trump

We can’t afford a candidate who doesn’t accept climate change,” Clinton said. “Maybe he’ll listen to our military leaders who say climate change threatens our security.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/11/hillary-clinton-al-gore-climate-change-florida-trump

-------------------

Damn those WikiLeaks!

ha ha - follow the Clinton Foundation money

Hillary's paid speech to DeutscheBank: "Fracking is a miracle but the credit goes to the US government for the US Department of Energy came up with it"

If anyone really believed in climate change they would be calling for global mandatory emissions reductions, not taxation schemes designed to enrich government coffers and transfer wealth from developed countries to less developed ones while allowing the latter to spew emissions relentlessly.

If anyone really believed in climate change they would be calling for global mandatory emissions reductions, not taxation schemes designed to enrich government coffers and transfer wealth from developed countries to less developed ones while allowing the latter to spew emissions relentlessly.

You notice they don't make China and India do anything.

I've never once heard a report of sea ice being gone by 2016. That would lead to an incredible increase in sea level around the world, and it would have been something every country would have had to prepare for.

If you don't think sea ice is melting in the arctic, then you must have missed what is going on with the countries at the top of the world, and how they are positioning themselves to open and secure trade routes as the ice retreats. Russia is on top of this. The US, Canada, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, and Finland are on the front of what could become an Arctic conflict in the next decade or so.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

There is much detail here. Lots to read/understand and lots to correct misinformation about polar ice caps.

Miami, Venice, Shanghai, Bangkok, etc. are all still above the waterline. No reports of encroaching water.

******** "scientists" don't seem to understand the sine wave and nature's affection for the mean.

Modelling complex systems is not science and won't be for a long, long time.

Imagine if climate modelling was useful like pharmaceutical development. Why is pharma concentrating on single molecules? Because complex systems/interactions are unpredictable.

But entropy will prevail. Bet on it.