• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Been Meaning To Post This

Big Ben Rules

Reaction score
https://theredzone.org/Blog-Descrip...-salary-cap-expected-to-hit--208M-max-in-2022

This would add another 26 million to the 50+ million the Steelers are to be under the Cap .

NFL's salary cap expected to hit $208M max in 2022​

The NFL's salary cap is set to get back on track in 2022 -- and spending should be back as well, with another anticipated jump in the cap for 2023, Ian Rapoport & Tom Pelissero of NFL Network report.
Sources say next season's cap is expected to reach the $208.2 million maximum agreed upon by the NFL and NFL Players Association in May. The final number has not been officially announced, but it's expected to be revealed at the NFL's annual labor seminar next week.

The salary cap this season is $182.5 million -- down from $198.2 million in 2020, but much higher than it would've been had the league and union not agreed in August 2020 to spread an anticipated multibillion-dollar revenue shortfall from the COVID-19 pandemic over several years. Players are still "paying back" what amounted to a low-interest loan that allowed players to continue making full salaries and bonuses in 2020 despite empty stadiums, and the agreement to set a ceiling on the 2022 cap expedited that repayment process.

Many big-money free agent deals and extensions still got done in 2021. But the $15.7 million drop in the cap left many teams doing cap gymnastics, using salary conversions, voidable years and other maneuvers to stay in compliance. Some free agents opted for one-year deals, hoping to return to a more robust market in March.

Sources cautioned that unexpected stadium capacity limits due to a COVID spike or unlikely lockdown could still impact the 2022 cap number. But those are not considered likely scenarios. No NFL games have been canceled in 2021, stadiums have been mostly full, nearly all of local revenue has returned, new TV deals were finalized earlier this year in concert with the expansion to a 17-game regular season, expanded playoffs began last year and the NFL is increasingly flush with gambling money and other new revenue streams.
All of that has also generated optimism the cap will spike substantially again in 2023 as money from new TV deals hit and trigger media "kickers" in the 2020 collective bargaining agreement that can increase players' share of revenue from 48% to as high as 48.8%. (The CBA is a revenue-sharing deal in which the cap is based on players' share, divided into salary and benefits.)

Yep. Every team will have more money to spend.

I hope the OL / DL get upgrades, legitimate actual starter type. If the OL were actually good to above average then it could mean a return of BEN one more year. That would be a risk based on the OL and not Ben.

Regardless of QB the OL needs major help and I hope the trenches are first to be addressed.

Trade Tuitt for a third, pair a third and 5th to gain a 2nd.

Salute the nation

I hope the OL / DL get upgrades, legitimate actual starter type. If the OL were actually good to above average then it could mean a return of BEN one more year. That would be a risk based on the OL and not Ben.

Regardless of QB the OL needs major help and I hope the trenches are first to be addressed.

Salute the nation
I am hoping Tuitt can make it back some how. Love the guy up until this year

I am hoping Tuitt can make it back some how. Love the guy up until this year

I like the guy too but injury of past and mental of current seems to keep him off the field. I think we can replace him with someone hopefully more durrable.

I truly am compassionate towards Stephon and if he needs time that is his decision but our STEELERS need a DL on the field of play. Put him on IR or where ever it is to save hi till next season and go from there.

It will be hard to come back from a year off (physically & mentally) and regain his expertise that we usually only seemed to get a PART season each year. replaceable

Salute the nation

Salute the nation
Sorry, but no. Its time to move on. A better offensive line isnt going to provide some magical "fountain of youth" for Ben. We need a better offensive line, yes, but we also need to move on and "rip the band-aid off", and begin the post-Ben era. The sooner we find our next franchise qb, the better off we'll be

Sorry, but no. Its time to move on. A better offensive line isnt going to provide some magical "fountain of youth" for Ben. We need a better offensive line, yes, but we also need to move on and "rip the band-aid off", and begin the post-Ben era. The sooner we find our next franchise qb, the better off we'll be

I agree to a degree Omar and I should have added a little more.

I don't see this years QB crop (many have said) being a deep crop so hard to draft future QB until next year. I was thinking maybe dogpaddle another year with Ben. If not then give Mason the full blown offense and not hold back on play calling etc.

Possibly bring in a STARTING FA but not at high draft capital expense as we need trench players desperately.

Salute the nation

I agree to a degree Omar and I should have added a little more.

I don't see this years QB crop (many have said) being a deep crop so hard to draft future QB until next year. I was thinking maybe dogpaddle another year with Ben. If not then give Mason the full blown offense and not hold back on play calling etc.

Possibly bring in a STARTING FA but not at high draft capital expense as we need trench players desperately.

Salute the nation
Totally agree with the bolded. Our higher picks need to be utilized for the trenches for sure. And I think it would be wise to try and find a vet who can take the reins for at least a season or two and provide adequate play until we DO draft the next franchise guy.

Salute the nation
Definitely need line upgrades and we need a stud MLB. I do not think we could get a third for Tuitt though. We don't even know if he is gong to play again. As for Ben I think he maybe the least mobile QB in the league. The team has lots of options. I would not be opposed to bringing ben back at the right price, but i don't think that will happen. I think we can pretty much sure up both lines and i would bring in a cheat vet QB like Minshew. If we have anything left i would address CBs then MLBs.

I still think they either trade Tuitt or cut him. If that's the case, I definitely see them looking at the QB options (although not Rodgers or Wilson). I can see them looking at Winston or even Mayfield (I know that's not a popular option but I think they will look at him - I think he's better than Rudolph has shown so far) when he is a FA. They also have to look at CB, DL, and OL in free agency. I definitely see them being as active as we have ever seen - especially in the first week - but, I still don't see them overpaying for a FA like many teams do in that first week. So, they could wait until week 2 and then be aggressive.

Definitely need line upgrades and we need a stud MLB. I do not think we could get a third for Tuitt though. We don't even know if he is gong to play again. As for Ben I think he maybe the least mobile QB in the league. The team has lots of options. I would not be opposed to bringing ben back at the right price, but i don't think that will happen. I think we can pretty much sure up both lines and i would bring in a cheat vet QB like Minshew. If we have anything left i would address CBs then MLBs.

Devin Busg is a wild card factor as we don't know if he can come around. We don't know if he is playing hurt / scared and a coach to scared to bench him for it. If for some reason he comes around in TC then hurray but I think a pro-active plan needs in place and we definately need at least one starting MLB regardless of the Bush league we've got.

EDIT: Soe are right in not knowing if we can get a third or even get anything for Tuitt but I' sure they'd try before an outright cut if that is the direction they go.

Salute the nation

Why do people think we will cut Tuitt after his personal tragedy… we don’t have any history of doing that… we kept shazier on the roster for the duration of his contract despite him not being able to play…

Follow the cash on Tuitt. 13 m for him to play 8 m to cut him. Only way he doesn't play is if he chooses not to.

Also the cap numbers are based off of tge 208 million number… we have 10 million in rollover from this year… so our cap is really 218 million

We have 172 million in cap space tied up for next season

We have a bit over 46 million open right now.

We have 37 players under contract. Thats 16 open spots… the nfl mininum is a sliding scale from 600 k to just over a million… so lets say we have to spend 15 million of that just to fill out the roster, and we are going to hold 5 million or so as emergency reserve through the season

So thst leaves like 26 million to bring in premium platers

Our ufas and rfas are:

Qbs
Ben, dobbs and Haskins
Wrs
Juju, Washington and rayray
Te
ebron
Rbs
Ballage
OL
Okafor, Turner, finney, Hassenauar

DL
Christmas
Lb
Spillane, allen
S
Edmunds, killibrew
Cbs
Haden, Witherspoon, maulet, acy

So we have to do some things at Wr, Ol, QB and CB… probably S too…

I would get rid of Bush and Tuitt

It’s time to rebuild

Bush will get an opportunity at camp for sure. Tuitt is 13 m to play and 8 to cut. I think when they restructured Tuitt before the season they knew this was happening. When Alualu was injured they were screwed.