• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben's Twilight Years

jra166

Reaction score
This team can be scary good! If Ben is healthy and can remain effective through 2018-2020, I think this team will be unstoppable. I believe this team is 1 more draft away from having all the parts. The defense we have has the pedigree, the talent, the youth, and the speed. If they all turn out to be what they were projected to be (Jarvis, Dupree, Gibson) and the rookies have a full year of experience (Burns, Hargrave, Davis) we could dominate as early as 2017. Unfortunately I believe the fate of those players, Ladarious Green, and Martavious Bryant will be 50/50, or am I being generous? Hence one more draft, and giving THOSE rookies a year of experience. If Ben can be Ben for 4 more years... he just may match (or even surpass) Bradshaw and his 4 SBs.

I believe we have a shot this year, especially if the aforementioned players overachieve, but I am talking being able to dominate! Let's begin the Road to 7..8...and 9... That's not too much to ask for over the next 4 years... is it?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
This team can be scary good! If Ben is healthy and can remain effective through 2018-2020, I think this team will be unstoppable. I believe this team is 1 more draft away from having all the parts. The defense we have has the pedigree, the talent, the youth, and the speed. If they all turn out to be what they were projected to be (Jarvis, Dupree, Gibson) and the rookies have a full year of experience (Burns, Hargrave, Davis) we could dominate as early as 2017. Unfortunately I believe the fate of those players, Ladarious Green, and Martavious Bryant will be 50/50, or am I being generous? Hence one more draft, and giving THOSE rookies a year of experience. If Ben can be Ben for 4 more years... he just may match (or even surpass) Bradshaw and his 4 SBs.

I believe we have a shot this year, especially if the aforementioned players overachieve, but I am talking being able to dominate! Let's begin the Road to 7..8...and 9... That's not too much to ask for over the next 4 years... is it?

I think they have the parts now.

Injuries and suspensions will decide if those parts come together at the right time.

jra166

Reaction score
I think they have the parts now.

Injuries and suspensions will decide if those parts come together at the right time.

I like your optimism, but I suspect needs at TE, CB, and OLB at the end of the year will require attention. I suspect Harrison and Jones will be gone, and Dupree is still an unknown. The chances of both Burns and Gilbert looking like #1 picks and shutdown CBs...50/50. We need a dominate Pass Rush and Pass defense to be able to dominate.

I agree that injuries are the biggest unknown.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I like your optimism, but I suspect needs at TE, CB, and OLB at the end of the year will require attention. I suspect Harrison and Jones will be gone, and Dupree is still an unknown. The chances of both Burns and Gilbert looking like #1 picks and shutdown CBs...50/50. We need a dominate Pass Rush and Pass defense to be able to dominate.

I agree that injuries are the biggest unknown.

Dupree will be back, Green will be back (hopefully)

I think this years depth is better than last years. Which hopefully helps on final outcome.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

A lot will hinge on how the rest of the league, particularly the AFC, evolves over the next few years.

The Patriots will be a tough out, as long as Brady is the QB, and he looks to still have a few more elite seasons left in him.

Assuming Luck's healthy, the Colts will be a threat.

The Bengals will be good, but it's hard to take them seriously with their continual playoff failures.

The Broncos are kind of an unknown, having a great roster with a talented, but unproven, young QB.

One team that worries me a bit is the Raiders. They've finally found a QB, and acquired an explosive young pass rusher in Bruce Irvin to complement Khalil Mack. They also made some good moves in their secondary.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

I believe if I see or hear another Steelers fan misspell or mispronounce Bryant's name, I might scream. It's tough enough to take when fans of other teams do it.

Spike

Reaction score
Here's a clue - win ONE GAME AT A TIME!

Forget about the future - WIN NOW

Ben is in his PRIME! This team needs to WIN NOW!

ONE GAME AT A TIME!

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I believe if I see or hear another Steelers fan misspell or mispronounce Bryant's name, I might scream. It's tough enough to take when fans of other teams do it.

Martavis isn't a common name, I could see the slip up.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Martavoos Bryant ;)

I remember back in high school when the Steelers made the XL run. One of my classmates couldn't say Joey Porter. He'd call him Jeremy Porter. How about what's his face on nfl network(He played for usc, linebacker for the cheats and browns) he can't pronounce Roethlisberger. I mean who dafuq is Ben Rosenburger?

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Are you old enough to remember Chuck Knoll and Frank O'Harris?

lulz

Especially the Knoll was recurring........

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Here in NM a lot of people cannot pronounce Pittsburgh. I always wanted to ask all you yinzers on the board. Does it bother you guys when someone says Picksburgh?

Anywho onto topic, I think the Steelers still need some retooling on defense. Offesne is set and a healthy Ben can carry this team to a 7th. So here's hoping

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Here in NM a lot of people cannot pronounce Pittsburgh. I always wanted to ask all you yinzers on the board. Does it bother you guys when someone says Picksburgh?

Anywho onto topic, I think the Steelers still need some retooling on defense. Offesne is set and a healthy Ben can carry this team to a 7th. So here's hoping

I seen the H left off in numerous situations.

Reactions: MTC

In Ben We Trust

Reaction score
I would love for Ben to tie Terry but winning Lombardi's today is a lot harder than in Bradshaw's days. The league has way deeper talent....there was never a time in the 70's where you honestly felt 10-12 teams legitimately had a shot to win it all. It is really, really hard to to get to and win the big game today....just my opinion.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
That Frank O'Harris. Good Irish lad. Don't understand why the italians were all about him...

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score

I used to work with a moron Cowgirl fan who called the city "Picksburgh". After the SB XXX loss, he didn't even get that he was right. Even stopped clocks are correct twice a day.

diver

Reaction score
That Frank O'Harris. Good Irish lad. Don't understand why the italians were all about him...

Heh. It isn't even like Chuck Noll and Franco Harris are hard. Compare that to Martavious, though.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Coach Cool Shades always calls him "Martavius" so I just roll with it and always bold the "u".

Not really. A lot of people who live here pronounce it that way too.
All the Pittsburgh Dad videos on YouTube will keep you fresh on Yinzerspeak.

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
With Ben in his prime, and offensive depth all around, except for maybe TE. I'm a lot more concerned about the defense. The team is slowly drifitng away from the 3-4, but at the same time some of these guys were drafted for the 3-4 scheme. Guys like Heyward, Moats, Jarvis, Shazier have all been in a 3-4 base scheme. Guys like Mitchell are already not fan faves, the secondary is full of question marks, our guys are hit with suspensions and injuries up the wahzoo. Overcome and find answers to those and then these guys will win a 7th

Hallmarky

Reaction score
If Ben and AB can stay healthy, and our D can hold teams to an average under 20 pts like they did last year, I believe Ben get two more rings within the next four seasons.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Relax, ......... HAVE a home brew. If that little factor upsets you, you must be a real upset person with all the rest going on in the world. Martavious isn't very commen and the key board strokes are close enough to miss hit and get it wrong. I look at it this way, if the author can get it (or any word for that matter) close enough to not have to think about it, then it's good. This is just a message board, not a JOB. So if you have time, have a HOME BREW and relax a little till the steaks are done enough.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Relax, ......... HAVE a home brew. If that little factor upsets you, you must be a real upset person with all the rest going on in the world. Martavious isn't very commen and the key board strokes are close enough to miss hit and get it wrong. I look at it this way, if the author can get it (or any word for that matter) close enough to not have to think about it, then it's good. This is just a message board, not a JOB. So if you have time, have a HOME BREW and relax a little till the steaks are done enough.

Salute the nation

I like my steak medium rare please.

6b4b6b39664429b0b1b74027e410d943.jpg

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
If Ben and AB can stay healthy, and our D can hold teams to an average under 20 pts like they did last year, I believe Ben get two more rings within the next four seasons.

That's the thing, Ben had maybe two good years wasted playing behind a bad OL, then about the time they got that fixed the defense went to hell for about three years due to draft busts and LeBeau being around a year too long. As it is, the LB's are still iffy and the DB's are not very good except for Gay.