• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Best writer on this site

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
just brilliant work here

1.) Steelers Could Target Houston QB, Clayton Tune​

Tune played 47 total games in college and totaled 11,994 passing yards while adding 104 touchdown passes. The Cougars are known for their pass-heavy offense and Tune also stands out because his size is similar to that of Pickett. At 6'3", 215-pounds, his playing style would fit in with whatever offensive coordinator, Matt Canada has in store for Pickett's second year.

He's a solid athlete and his speed is similar to Pittsburgh's current starter. If he falls into the seventh round and the draft is going well, don't be surprised if Omar Khan takes a chance. If the coaching staff likes him throughout the process, the lack of fifth and sixth round picks may be the reason he's not a Steeler.

Yeah people scoff at trading those late picks for **** but he could be a good answer as backup. They will need one. If he is available in 7th they should get enough in rounds 1-4 and they will need. I think Pickett may be only returning player in Q. Room.

just brilliant work here

1.) Steelers Could Target Houston QB, Clayton Tune​

Tune played 47 total games in college and totaled 11,994 passing yards while adding 104 touchdown passes. The Cougars are known for their pass-heavy offense and Tune also stands out because his size is similar to that of Pickett. At 6'3", 215-pounds, his playing style would fit in with whatever offensive coordinator, Matt Canada has in store for Pickett's second year.

He's a solid athlete and his speed is similar to Pittsburgh's current starter. If he falls into the seventh round and the draft is going well, don't be surprised if Omar Khan takes a chance. If the coaching staff likes him throughout the process, the lack of fifth and sixth round picks may be the reason he's not a Steeler.

Not sure what they can get out of Mitch, but if it was a 5th or 6th and TUNE was there I’d take him in a heartbeat. You trade Mitch, you’ve got to have a #2 somewhere. Tune could very well be that guy.

As for the best writer on the site, I’d have to pass on naming one specific. There are many very good writers, just so happens this one has a very positive UH player endorsement, in his article.

I also think Coach Tomlin will not endure the season with a rookie #2, he will either keep Mitch or bring in a vet minimum.

Salute the nation

I'd keep Mitch regardless of cost. Rudy is leaving so we need an experienced backup. Pickett will probably get another concussion so Mitch is going to play.

I'd keep Mitch regardless of cost. Rudy is leaving so we need an experienced backup. Pickett will probably get another concussion so Mitch is going to play.

That’s the parody to OL and draft. Kenneth could be out of the game if he gets concussed A few more times. We need OL trench in the draft, we need to invest in trench to protect our current “QB” From damage.

Salute the nation

I was initially on board with this idea. But he has to be willing to free up some of that cost. Tweak that cap hit somehow. The team needs room to breathe and sign their own and bring in free agents.

I was initially on board with this idea. But he has to be willing to free up some of that cost. Tweak that cap hit somehow. The team needs room to breathe and sign their own and bring in free agents.
I think there is same chance of Mitch doing contract favors as Bush being starting inside linebacker.

I am fine with a rookie that eventually be the backup, but id like an experienced guy that can help Pickett on gameday this season… if they drafted a guy in the later rounds then just let him learn as a 3 this year… i am fine with drafting Tune,and I expect one of the less premium picks this year to be a qb.. but I definitely don’t want the double inexperienced duo active on gameday

I think there is same chance of Mitch doing contract favors as Bush being starting inside linebacker.
To reduce his cap hit they'd have to extend his contract to spread out the money and he doesn't want to be here if he's not starting. If he won't take an extension then he's probably done although I'd still keep him for this year at his current price.

To reduce his cap hit they'd have to extend his contract to spread out the money and he doesn't want to be here if he's not starting. If he won't take an extension then he's probably done although I'd still keep him for this year at his current price.
Agreed. In my opinion you can go cheaper but have to remember he has dead money. So you could get a lower cost guy eat that money but you are not getting as good.

Agreed. In my opinion you can go cheaper but have to remember he has dead money. So you could get a lower cost guy eat that money but you are not getting as good.
True, I wasn't even thinking about the dead money cap hit. Dead money + cost of decent backup > than Mitch's salary, then they might as well keep him.

Agreed. And to add on, if one believes we have any chance to make a decent run (not talking SB, but decent run), notwithstanding Canada, you have to have a vet backup.

Not sure what they can get out of Mitch, but if it was a 5th or 6th and TUNE was there I’d take him in a heartbeat. You trade Mitch, you’ve got to have a #2 somewhere. Tune could very well be that guy.

As for the best writer on the site, I’d have to pass on naming one specific. There are many very good writers, just so happens this one has a very positive UH player endorsement, in his article.

I also think Coach Tomlin will not endure the season with a rookie #2, he will either keep Mitch or bring in a vet minimum.

Salute the nation
pretty sure you know better than to take any of my comments seriously

but this writer is pretty damn smart

I am fine with a rookie that eventually be the backup, but id like an experienced guy that can help Pickett on gameday this season… if they drafted a guy in the later rounds then just let him learn as a 3 this year… i am fine with drafting Tune,and I expect one of the less premium picks this year to be a qb.. but I definitely don’t want the double inexperienced duo active on gameday
I don't really understand this. The Steelers paid two guys about $12M (maybe that is too low?) total to backup Kenny this year. Because he was a rookie, they didn't know, Mitch was underwhelming, etc.

But none of that matters now. KP is the man. If he goes down, why not jam Brock Purdy or whomever in, because the season is lost? The "benefit" of Mitch playing an extended amount in 2023 is that the Steelers finish 9-8 rather than 4-13. Just a worse pick in 24 IMO.

If a mentor QB is needed, those guys are cheaply available-- find the best mentor who could start if KP gets injured. Spend $3-5M on the b/u qbs, and use the cap space elsewhere because its needed.

I'd rather take $5M from Mitch, wish him well on his job search, and upgrade ILB/CB/DL pre draft to fill an area of starter need vs some QB insurance that really isn't that useful......unless 9-8 is the goal.

Confluence. I would say you are thinking who could back up better for 4 weeks. Anyone loses starter for season dreams are usually dashed unless you are the 49ers.

pretty sure you know better than to take any of my comments seriously

but this writer is pretty damn smart

NOT a doubt in my mind Coolie, on either point you make.

I like your sense of humor and football knowledge and I can distinguish between the two,….. Occasionally.!!!

I am serious though on the talent of writers this site has, and appreciate each one for that fact.

They are almost as good as a few of the Moderators here ONLY in a different degree.

Salute the nation

Confluence. I would say you are thinking who could back up better for 4 weeks. Anyone loses starter for season dreams are usually dashed unless you are the 49ers.
Yes, that was my point. Same thing three years ago; the reason I was against the Minkah trade. I was very wrong on getting Minkah, but the Steelers did finish ok with Rudy and a rookie Duck. I don't see any reason to pay Mitch so much to coach up KP when others will do same for much less. Plus the Steelers could just sign Lefty to do exactly this, and have a back up, trained OC at the ready. Win/win.

Last edited:
Yes, that was my point. Same thing three years ago; the reason I was against the Minkah trade. I was wrong on getting Minkah, but the Steelers did finish ok with Rudy and a rookie Duck. I do see any reason to pay Mitch so much to coach up KP when others will do same for much less. Plus the Steelers could just sign Lefty to do exactly this, and have a back up, trained OC at the ready. Win/win.

Dang good thinking, are all Canadians this sm…r………. Wait, I know Paul is Canadian.!!!! :flame: :yield:

Salute the nation

I think this is all a pipe dream anyway

I feel someone will sing Clayton's Tune in either the 5th or 6th round