• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bill and Hillary Clinton To Attend Donald Trump's Inauguration

It's a lot better than most cities but it can be time consuming with all of the stops and changing trains depending on your destination. I think they increased the hours since I lived there, but it also used to close relatively early, so if you were going out at night, you had to either go home early or pay for an expensive cab ride home.

Beats the hell out of Chicago's. I was staying in the suburbs and going into town on a Sunday. I just missed a train so I checked how long until the next one, expecting 20 minutes or whatever. TWO HOURS in between trains!

Yep, they typically shut down at 11. Want to go to a Nats or Wizards or Redskins late game, or go out to a late dinner or party? Yer screwed.

Until recently, I owned two franchises of a nationally known service-type company. Some of our largest franchises were in the D.C. suburbs areas. Home Office had gotten to where, especially in the recession, their attitude was "How come you slacker fucktards aren't growing at 15% a year like the people in VA and MD? They're doing such-and-such marketing or whatever." with no comprehension that the rest of the country doesn't have any money right now. There is never a recession in northern VA. Several years ago I went to a seminar for multiple franchise owners. One of the people there was a big hitter from MD, bud of mine, has a franchise in Rockville among others. He asks how far apart my offices are, I reply 30 miles, he says "My God! How long does it take you to get from one to the other?" I said "30 minutes, less if I use my radar detector." He was astounded.

LOL :) I grew up in the country. 60 miles was a 1 hour trip, regardless. Sometimes less. 60 miles here can be an afternoon.

Correct, NoVA and DC and MD are recession proof. When the rest of the country was seeing the housing collapse our housing prices were on the rise. I guess it's somewhat parallel to the whole "Steelers fans travel really well." It's not that they necessarily travel well, it's predominantly because of the steel industry collapse. Families moved all over the country looking for work and raised new generations of Steeler fans all over the country. They are there, by and large not traveling. They live there.

As Steeler Nation is/was highly transient, so too is the the DC metro area. There's always a demand for homes because of the number of people that move in and out of this area - federal workers (like the Democrats about to leave town replaced by Republicans), military personnel, and thousands of jobs related to defense and government contractors. Plus, the school systems are so damned good here that people are looking to move into the area. Those are the two upsides to living here - schools and home values. Glad I purchased into this market. When the kids are off to college, the wife and I could sell our moderate home here and buy a McMansion in the hills if we want.

Man I wish I could agree with you, but Metro sucks ***. It's just not big enough with enough stops at enough convenient locations. Compared to the Tube in London, the subways in Chicago and New York, Metro fails miserably.

I can drive from my home and park in downtown DC in about 45 mins-hour with normal to moderate traffic. To do metro, I have to drive 15 minutes to the "end of the line" metro stop. Park. Walk in, get my ticket, wait. Then ride 48 minutes to get to Metro Center, and often have to switch trains. Emerge, walk to destination. Takes significantly longer than driving.

Example: I've gone to Wizards games at the Verizon center. Driving - 45 mins-1 hour. Metro: 1 Hour 25 minutes door to door.

If you live at a stop and work is at another stop, yes it's fine. But unlike say New York, where there's a subway station nearly every block of the city, Metro is missing hundreds of necessary stops it should have that simply do not exist.

I get your point of view, being that you're local to the area. I'd likely feel the same way if I lived there. But since I'm an occasional tourist, coming from some distance, that doesn't want to drive in an unfamiliar city, it works for me. Just a different perspective, that's all. I guess if I had a specific destination, like a basketball game, I'd drive. But when I go, its just to sightsee and hang around.

Yep, they typically shut down at 11. Want to go to a Nats or Wizards or Redskins late game, or go out to a late dinner or party? Yer screwed.

I want to say it was 10:00 back when I lived there 16 years ago, but I might be wrong.

6d1df6e7d3b03647dcfa4a90d0b492d9.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Steeler Nation mobile app