• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

"But when Republicans are in power, it seems there is no conservative party."

Are you ******* kidding me?

How much of your money do you want to invest in a road that anyone can use, free of charge? What do you think your ROI will be?

so you're stating that taxes should not be used on roads.

Unless you’re building toll-roads or parking garages, infrastructure is not an investment.

Is not better and safer roads, bridges, train, plane, and auto thruways an "investment?
Is not employment an investment?
Is not a better, safer community for your children an investment?

Not all returns on investment sit in the bank Trog. Some enrich others.

Is not better and safer roads, bridges, train, plane, and auto thruways an "investment?

no, no, no
let flogomanbun dig himself out of this hole.

How much of your money do you want to invest in a road that anyone can use, free of charge? What do you think your ROI will be?

As a Government it has a ROI of increased travel and expenditures which will bring in taxes and growth which will bring in more taxes as well as providing jobs. Democrats call it an investment when it is their plan but not when it is a Republicans.

So explain what you meant by private enterprise investing in infrastructure. Give an example. Unless it’s a parking garage, it ain’t happening.

No, I was replying to Smash’s post about private enterprise investing in infrastructure.

you lying, dumbshit ****.
you quoted ME, not Smash.

I doubt we can find anyone outside of government and the crony businesses/unions that would say the taxpayers are getting a good return on thier investment for infrastructure.

Liberals exclaim so very loudly when Exxon get these "windfall" profits while fed/state/local governments combined rake in 3-6 times that amount just on the taxes on a gallon of gas. Notnto mention all the sales taxes generated by the other things that station sells.

I cant count the #of libs that i have seen praise the idea of increasing the tax on a gallon of gas by 5 cents. Yet, let Exxon announce they are increasing the price so that their profit increases by 5 cents per gallon. Gnashing of teeth will ensue.

Sadly, gas is a commodity that is highly dependent on things we cant control with regards to price. We have more control if we have more of our own. When a supply is projected to increase, prices spike. When supplies increase, they go down slower than they increased. It is my understanding that Exxon's net profit is, relatively the same in both cases. Unless, exxon (just example, any company will do) is part of those futures traders.

then explain post 50, dipshit

That would be me, expressing my disbelief in you, for not understanding that aside from parking garages and toll roads, there’s no money to be made in infrastructure and therefore, private enterprise won’t invest in it.

So explain what you meant by private enterprise investing in infrastructure. Give an example. Unless it’s a parking garage, it ain’t happening.

th
th
th

Roads are not the only infrastructure he is referring to. Trump often refers to some of our airports as 3rd world like.

That would be me, expressing my disbelief in you, for not understanding that aside from parking garages and toll roads, there’s no money to be made in infrastructure and therefore, private enterprise won’t invest in it.

that's not what you asked, dimly.

Flog said:

as pointed out a few posts ago, the ROI would and could be employment to create the roads, maintain said roads, shops and stores alongside said roads, communities developed off said roads, which would be populated by people spending their money in their communities, effectively creating a mini-economy for that area.

oh, but since you refuse to believe that...

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President — because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

so, yes, flog, by investing in infrastructure, you are getting a ROI. It may not be from pulling nickles and dimes from parking meters, or measured by number of times a parking gate rises and falls, but there is a ROI that even your dumb, ******, *** should have been able to connect the dots.

Roads are not the only infrastructure he is referring to. Trump often refers to some of our airports as 3rd world like.

I've been in Detroit's airport several times.

I've been in Detroit's airport several times.

Memphis International is about as depressing as an airport can be.

unless you're leaving there.

Sure, turning 50 parking spaces into 300 is a good investment if businesses need the extra spaces. More employment, spending, etc. But the daily take from the garage isn't the return on the investment that I think you're referencing. It's the community that needs it that gains the most.

When I say investment, I would also add that private contractors have little incentive to invest their time and capital in building, manufacturing, and maintenance of public structures such as roads, bridges, schools, libraries, electric, airports and water that allow for lower corporate profitability, due to federal level regs and hurdles. I believe it's the state's matter to regulate and oversee, but I'm no macroeconomist.

This would be done through deregulation as Trump has alluded to.

Memphis International is about as depressing as an airport can be.

unless you're leaving there.

True, been there many many times when I was with my old company HQ'd there. Memphis Airport is the proud home of The World's Slowest McDonald's. You might think I'm kidding but I'm not. I know whereof I speak.

DVuWh5aVAAAeAvF.jpg

p7PgqOM.jpg

that's not what you asked, dimly.

as pointed out a few posts ago, the ROI would and could be employment to create the roads, maintain said roads, shops and stores alongside said roads, communities developed off said roads, which would be populated by people spending their money in their communities, effectively creating a mini-economy for that area.

oh, but since you refuse to believe that...

so, yes, flog, by investing in infrastructure, you are getting a ROI. It may not be from pulling nickles and dimes from parking meters, or measured by number of times a parking gate rises and falls, but there is a ROI that even your dumb, ******, *** should have been able to connect the dots.

Pay attention! None of that is, ahem, PRIVATE ENTERPRISE FUNDING INFRASTRUCTURE, Which is what was being discussed when you butted in and asked for an explanation. Don’t get all pissy with me because you can’t get with the ******* program.

No, I was replying to Smash’s post about private enterprise investing in infrastructure.

Private enterprise invest in infrastructure ALL THE TIME, Trog. Every housing development in Southern California includes investment by the developer in roads and the creation of a park or three. Every commercial development in Southern California includes investment by the developer in sewers, storm drains and roads.

California has the highest state income tax in the nation, and now the highest gasoline tax, along with massive property taxes. The state government has sloughed off a lot of the cost for road maintenance and repairs to private enterprise, as the government is too busy spending billions and billions of dollars on feeding, clothing, housing and educating illegals, doling out the most generous welfare benefits in the country, and paying for a huge prison population.

Road repairs? Dam maintenance? Pfffft, what could go wrong:

Damaged-California-Dam.jpg

Californians show the world how to take care of that inferstrukter thingy.

Private enterprise invest in infrastructure ALL THE TIME, Trog. Every housing development in Southern California includes investment by the developer in roads and the creation of a park or three. Every commercial development in Southern California includes investment by the developer in sewers, storm drains and roads.

That’s development, not infrastructure. They aren’t building roads for transit, they’re building them for access.

trog's right. let's just got back to the days of horses and buggies. everyone make their own ******* path. shouldn't be an issue. at. all.

That’s development, not infrastructure. They aren’t building roads for transit, they’re building them for access.

Trog all of the examples that have been mentioned here have local and state impacts (taxes, employment, clean water, safe thruways and electric, etc.) and should be viewed as infrastructure. Stop thinking of their investment as something you put in your IRA.

This economist thinks infrastructure is an ambiguous term, and I would agree. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44896.pdf

Trog all of the examples that have been mentioned here have local and state impacts (taxes, employment, clean water, safe thruways and electric, etc.) and should be viewed as infrastructure. Stop thinking of their investment as something you put in your IRA.

This economist thinks infrastructure is an ambiguous term, and I would agree. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44896.pdf

When new housing "developments" are created by a contractor or group of contractors, they, generally, build all of the roads and whatnot type of infrastructure which will service the development. AFter the building out is done and no more construction is done, they, typically, turn over the streets/parks/whatnot, to the city after the city inspects and approves all of it. So, the invest in the infrastructure for the development because a nice set of roads and parks will get people to buy the houses.

Once the houses are sold, the contractor doesnt want to be on the hook for maintaining the roads in perpetuity and the housing association isnt likely to, either.

When new housing "developments" are created by a contractor or group of contractors, they, generally, build all of the roads and whatnot type of infrastructure which will service the development. AFter the building out is done and no more construction is done, they, typically, turn over the streets/parks/whatnot, to the city after the city inspects and approves all of it. So, the invest in the infrastructure for the development because a nice set of roads and parks will get people to buy the houses.

Once the houses are sold, the contractor doesnt want to be on the hook for maintaining the roads in perpetuity and the housing association isnt likely to, either.

This.