• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chief Justice John Roberts, a moderate who can lean left?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Aye.

He sided with the affordable care act.

He sided with the liberal justices blowing the Louisiana law that could have restricted abortion.

Have no illusions, he's a swing vote type. To obtain a true conservative majority, Ginsberg ( age 85 ) or Bryer ( age 80 ) must be replaced within Trump's tenure. If Trump wins re-election, I think he will get another chance to nominate a supreme court justice

Roberts was slated to be an associate judge until Chief Rehnquist died two months after O'Connor announced her retirement. Bush should have never appointed him direct to Chief Justice...that should have went to Scalia IMO. I was happy with his selection of Alito. If Rehnquist had lived past Roberts appointment we could have had Thomas as Chief right now.

EDIT......CD is right, he's a RINO

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This always happens with "conservative" judges. I wouldn't select another judge off the bench. I'd rather go with someone you know like Mike Lee or even Ted Cruz. They are more than qualified and you know you won't get stupid unconstitutional babbling like with Roberts. Roberts is a fraud. I fear the same will happen with Kavanagh.

What was Robert's confirmation hearings like? Was he gonna set us back to 1950's?

His rulings to me like them or not have been based on his understanding of the law and not on his political leanings. To me like it or not it is what we need. I want an independent judiciary that basis their rulings on laws not emotions.

I like him. The supreme court shouldn’t be about conservative and liberal leanings... its just how the law is written for whatever case you have before you.... that isn’t always the case but it ought to be...

Most moderate judges do swing their votes to balance the court though... just like Kagan swung much more left than her political history suggested... or Kennedy... moderates tend to move towards the less represented side as devils advocates... when the power dynamics change you will see them swing back towards the center sometimes

I really think in their chambers most of the rulings are near unanimous decisions that mostly have dissenting opinions to keep the court relevant to both extremes of the political spectrum. I think they are far more in agreement than they let on..

I like him. The supreme court shouldn’t be about conservative and liberal leanings... its just how the law is written for whatever case you have before you.... that isn’t always the case but it ought to be...

Most moderate judges do swing their votes to balance the court though... just like Kagan swung much more left than her political history suggested... or Kennedy... moderates tend to move towards the less represented side as devils advocates... when the power dynamics change you will see them swing back towards the center sometimes

I really think in their chambers most of the rulings are near unanimous decisions that mostly have dissenting opinions to keep the court relevant to both extremes of the political spectrum. I think they are far more in agreement than they let on..

The court doesn't need to be "Balanced". You seem to contradict yourself. You first say it should be how the law is written. Then you say they "moderate" and seem to be ok with that. But "moderate" is not the same as how the law is written. Fact is that liberals have no issues destroying what the law says and interpreting it fit their agenda. Roe vs. Wade is a clear example of law being made from whole cloth.

I've read some of the court decisions and listened to them as they've talked openly about why they didn't or did like the ruling. They don't agree at all. It isn't a club like some seem to think. Go back and listen to Thomas talk about original law and readings.

The court doesn't need to be "Balanced".

I'm at the point that its 'win or lose', because that's the way the left has made EVERYTHING. So a 9 conservative SC would be just dandy with me. See, here's my logic - the conservative position on EVERYTHING is the correct position. The left position on EVERYTHING is the wrong position. The SC puts out some very poor rulings because the proceedings are flawed by wrong thinking. That tarnishes the SC. Because it is called the SC, I would prefer that it lived up to its name.

Roberts has to go. Not sure about beermeister yet. Beyer and the bull commie dykes need to go. RGB's room temp. So that's 5+ that can be replaced.

May yet happen.

The Court majority concluded Ross’s decision was supported by sufficient evidence and therefore rejected that part of the legal challenge, but held the record was not clear on whether the Trump administration’s rationale for asking the question might have been a pretext masking some other motivation, and therefore that the case must be subject to more exploration in the lower court.

Once again the "motivations of (insert bureaucrat name here)" creeps into our political and judicial discourse and decision making. Not Comey this time though, none other than Justice Roberts, mr. swing vote himself. Thanks a pantload W.

I did appreciate Justice Thomas' dissent however.

This conclusion is extraordinary. The Court engages in an unauthorized inquiry into evidence not properly before us to reach an unsupported conclusion. Moreover, each step of the inquiry offends the presumption of regularity we owe the Executive. The judgment of the District Court should be reversed.

SMDH

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...s-5-4-block-citizenship-question-2020-census/

His rulings to me like them or not have been based on his understanding of the law and not on his political leanings. To me like it or not it is what we need. I want an independent judiciary that basis their rulings on laws not emotions.

He is supposed to base rulings on his understanding of the Constitution. Did you catch his contortions on Obamacare?

Yes I did. Again I did not like it but I don't want a puppet of the right anymore than I want a puppet of the left.
There really isn't a middle ground that makes sense here. Being principled doesn't make you a puppet, but whatever.

Gorsuch also seems to be a wild card. He seems to side with the liberals most often and he attends a very liberal church in one of the more liberal towns in America, (Boulder, CO).

There really isn't a middle ground that makes sense here. Being principled doesn't make you a puppet, but whatever.

I look at it differently, to me principle means you can set aside your personal beliefs and follow where the written law and Constitution take you rather than simply looking for a way to justify your own beliefs in your judicial opinion. I do not want either side using the court to make laws only to judge whether they were created and enforced legally in the scope of the Constitution. If something does not have the proper standing or scope to make a sweeping change or ruling then I applaud not forcing it. That is what happened with Roe V Wade.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app