• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Colbert on Haskins: “We’re hopeful to see what he has to give us moving forward”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert took to the media on Tuesday as the 2022 NFL Combine kicked off in Indianapolis, and he spoke to several topics including the team’s current quarterback situation.

Technically, right now the only quarterback rostered with the franchise is Mason Rudolph, but the Steelers have repeatedly shown their interest in keeping Dwayne Haskins as well. The Steelers are open to brining in more quarterbacks to compete via the NFL Draft and/or free agency as Colbert mentions, but for Haskins, his time to take the reigns in the Steel City is now.

GM Kevin Colbert speaks about the QBs on our current roster & in the 2022 #NFLDraft:

Full
🎥
: https://t.co/7ik4JNI8um pic.twitter.com/puMlw5zthL

— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) March 1, 2022

“Dwayne did a nice job with us this year mostly as a scout team quarterback. But he came in everyday, he prepared, he gave us great looks in practice, and we’re hopeful to see what he has to give us moving forward.”

Names continue to circle around the Steelers such as Jimmy Garoppolo, Mitch Trubisky and Jameis Winston to name a few as quarterbacks who can possibly come in and compete for a starting role in Pittsburgh. But in my eyes, right now, this is Haskins’ job to lose.

SteelerNation knows what they’re getting in Rudolph, and so does the front office. Although he may currently be in the driver’s seat, his 5-4-1 record as a starter is not something to write home about. I’ll play devil’s advocate for a second and mention that under several games Rudolph has played in and/or started, they’ve been less than ideal situations, but Rudolph has continued to struggle to put points on the board for the Steelers no matter the situation.

Insert Haskins. Coming from Washington where it’s well documented that the franchise didn’t want to necessarily draft him in the first place, he now comes into a situation where he’s had a season to sit and learn behind future Hall of Fame quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, and be welcomed into a more accepting environment. Roethlisberger was even quoted mentioning Haskins’ throwing and motion mechanics noting that they’re the “prettiest I’ve ever seen,” said Roethlisberger. Haskins also now has a great quarterback coach in Mike Sullivan, and an overall talent boost around him from going from Washington to Pittsburgh.

Now, don’t get me wrong. Haskins’ first two seasons in Washington is nothing to brag about either. In 16 games played (13 started), Haskins has a 60.1 completion percentage, just 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. But I truly believe that in the right environment, which I now think he’s currently in, this former first round pick (15th overall in the 2019 NFL Draft) can rejuvenate his career. He knows the system, he’s going to be a cheaper price tag than the aforementioned quarterbacks, and he brings way more mobility to the table than Roethlisberger did in the final years of his career.

I’m all for Colbert and the Steelers bringing in more quarterbacks to raise the competition level in Pittsburgh, but when the smoke clears, realistically, I’m hoping it’s #HaskinsSZN.

Watch the full interview here.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert took to the media on Tuesday as the 2022 NFL Combine kicked off in Indianapolis, and he spoke to several topics including the team’s current quarterback situation.

Technically, right now the only quarterback rostered with the franchise is Mason Rudolph, but the Steelers have repeatedly shown their interest in keeping Dwayne Haskins as well. The Steelers are open to brining in more quarterbacks to compete via the NFL Draft and/or free agency as Colbert mentions, but for Haskins, his time to take the reigns in the Steel City is now.

Names continue to circle around the Steelers such as Jimmy Garoppolo, Mitch Trubisky and Jameis Winston to name a few as quarterbacks who can possibly come in and compete for a starting role in Pittsburgh. But in my eyes, right now, this is Haskins’ job to lose.

SteelerNation knows what they’re getting in Rudolph, and so does the front office. Although he may currently be in the driver’s seat, his 5-4-1 record as a starter is not something to write home about. I’ll play devil’s advocate for a second and mention that under several games Rudolph has played in and/or started, they’ve been less than ideal situations, but Rudolph has continued to struggle to put points on the board for the Steelers no matter the situation.

Insert Haskins. Coming from Washington where it’s well documented that the franchise didn’t want to necessarily draft him in the first place, he now comes into a situation where he’s had a season to sit and learn behind future Hall of Fame quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, and be welcomed into a more accepting environment. Roethlisberger was even quoted mentioning Haskins’ throwing and motion mechanics noting that they’re the “prettiest I’ve ever seen,” said Roethlisberger. Haskins also now has a great quarterback coach in Mike Sullivan, and an overall talent boost around him from going from Washington to Pittsburgh.

Now, don’t get me wrong. Haskins’ first two seasons in Washington is nothing to brag about either. In 16 games played (13 started), Haskins has a 60.1 completion percentage, just 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. But I truly believe that in the right environment, which I now think he’s currently in, this former first round pick (15th overall in the 2019 NFL Draft) can rejuvenate his career. He knows the system, he’s going to be a cheaper price tag than the aforementioned quarterbacks, and he brings way more mobility to the table than Roethlisberger did in the final years of his career.

I’m all for Colbert and the Steelers bringing in more quarterbacks to raise the competition level in Pittsburgh, but when the smoke clears, realistically, I’m hoping it’s #HaskinsSZN.

Watch the full interview here.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
So your saying that we know what we have with Mason after only 10 starts but not sure with Haskins after far more and worse production and wins. Isn't that a bit contradictory? WHy can't we say the same about Mason having a chance to rejuvenate things with even less time on the field to judge from?

So your saying that we know what we have with Mason after only 10 starts but not sure with Haskins after far more and worse production and wins. Isn't that a bit contradictory? WHy can't we say the same about Mason having a chance to rejuvenate things with even less time on the field to judge from?
I read it as they've seen first hand what Rudolph has after four seasons of him being on their roster. While from afar, they saw Haskins struggle for two years under less than ideal conditions and only really know what he's shown them in the one season since he's been in Pittsburgh. I really don't think either are "The Guy", but, I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised if one of them is. Actually wouldn't surprise me if we see both play a lot this year. Won't know what you really have until they're battle tested with this coordinator, system and QB coach. If they are crap, the season is lost and you pick a QB in next year's draft if you're able.

I read it as they've seen first hand what Rudolph has after four seasons of him being on their roster. While from afar, they saw Haskins struggle under less than ideal conditions and only really know what he's done since he's been in Pittsburgh. I really don't think either are "The Guy", but, I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised if one of them is. Actually wouldn't surprise me if we see both play a lot this year. Won't know what you really have until they're battle tested with this coordinator, system and QB coach. If they are crap, the season is lost and you pick a QB in next year's draft if you're able.
Pretty much what I think. I have some hope that one of them could be "a guy" but likely not "the guy", but not many are. I have less faith in Haskins doing anything but a higher ceiling for him if he does finally "get it". I roll with thm and chea free agent and mid or late round rookie for this year unless ickett slides to us or Ridder is there in the third.

I don't feel as though Rudolph's situation was any better than Haskins. The times he got to start for the most part were under an offensive coordinator so frightened of his own shadow he wanted whomever was throwing the ball to get rid of it in under 2 seconds, which frankly just allowed the league's defenses to play 1/10th of the field. Adding to that, he was starting when DeCastro and Pouncey were really beginning to struggle with injuries and just being worn down and I can't say he came under center in the best situation a backup could dream of.

All that said, I'm not suggesting Mason is a franchise QB. But I think he's serviceable enough that if they decided NOT to waste money or picks on somebody who likely either wouldn't be better or at least DO better than him behind the current line, I'm fine with that for a year, maybe even two if it gets them to a point where they have a rebuilt and gelling offensive line, a stud RB and suddenly find themselves with a bonafide franchise QB within their reach on draft day.

Mason a backup qb he was drafted to play back up and that’s what he’s been and if he is starting for a team it’s because they don’t have a starter. The Oklahoma state offense didn’t require anything from mason and Washington other than Washington ran down the field and mason chucked it to him. That’s obviously hasn’t worked for Washington or Manson in the pro’s. Mason can’t read defenses, can’t find his secondary receivers, can’t get first downs… while Ben was at his best if the play broke down mason is at his worst when the play breaks down. He suks! If he is starting for us we’re doomed!!!

Everyone likes to crap on Washington. You know there were a couple seasons where he lead the receivers. I know he's not a #1, or perhaps even a solid #2, but you could do MUCH worse for a #3 receiver.

Everyone likes to crap on Washington. You know there were a couple seasons where he lead the receivers. I know he's not a #1, or perhaps even a solid #2, but you could do MUCH worse for a #3 receiver.

We will find out as I don't see Washington being retained. Our #3 will be someone allready on the roster so we will see how that pans out.

JUST for the record I liked James but for some reason he wasn't getting playing time or targets.

Salute the nation

He knows the system, he’s going to be a cheaper price tag than the aforementioned quarterbacks, and he brings way more mobility to the table than Roethlisberger did in the final years of his career.
Your grandmother probably could have brought more mobility to the table than Ben did last year.

I don't know where this myth about Haskins being especially mobile came from, but there's no truth to it. He's a pocket passer, and not a very good one.

Washington won't be retained because he doesn't have the quickness to get open consistently in this league.

The Steelers will draft a WR and draft one high. WRs can come in and perform at a high level early in their careers, so it would be smart to fill those holes in the draft, though I'm fine if we pick up a vet slot guy to help out.

Keep in mind only Claypool and DJ are rostered. Ray Ray, JuJu, and Wash Wash are not, so we have 3-4 positions to fill.

Washington won't be retained because he doesn't have the quickness to get open consistently in this league.

The Steelers will draft a WR and draft one high. WRs can come in and perform at a high level early in their careers, so it would be smart to fill those holes in the draft, though I'm fine if we pick up a vet slot guy to help out.

Keep in mind only Claypool and DJ are rostered. Ray Ray, JuJu, and Wash Wash are not, so we have 3-4 positions to fill.
This. It is a shame as I like the guy. Obviously he is a hard worker. Just maxed out. This is the type of player you would like to see become a WR coach and see if he can rise up the ranks.

This. It is a shame as I like the guy. Obviously he is a hard worker. Just maxed out. This is the type of player you would like to see become a WR coach and see if he can rise up the ranks.
I'll tell you where Wash would fit. On a run heavy team with a mobile QB. He's an excellent blocker, and a moble QB will be able to extend plays until he gets open.

I'll tell you where Wash would fit. On a run heavy team with a mobile QB. He's an excellent blocker, and a moble QB will be able to extend plays until he gets open.
Like Tennessee perhaps..

For our next QB to be "the guy" he has to have the "it factor" and pass the "eye test".