• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report: Steelers' Arthur Smith Had A "Great" Meeting With Kenny Pickett; New Team With Steelers In Mix For Justin Fields

I would roll with Pickett all year. If he stinks it up in a game, then pull him, make him watch. Then make him compete to get back in next game, rinse and repeat. At least then you have given him a chance with a different OC.

Even if it's Mason... whom I'm 75% sure isn't our best option going forward.
Well, that depends on what you feel "now" is. We only have 1 QB signed on the roster, so I maintain Mason is the best option - if he was to sign - right now, meaning he's better than Kenny and by a pretty wide margin. I know it's a small sample size, but what we saw from last year seems to indicate Mason is the better QB than is KP.

As far as future FA QBs goes, it seems quite evident that Pgh is not gonna go for "the gusto" and sign the best QB option out there, that being Cousins or Wilson. If it's true what the reporters are saying, Pgh is NOT interested in signing any QB who thinks they are in the running to be the starting QB, which certainly conflicts with what Rooney and Tomlin are saying, which is that there will be a real QB "competition" upcoming. It sure doesn't seem like it to me. Just more Steeler bull sh--t, like the 2020 QB "competition" which never was allowed to develop; it was Trubiski's job all along, they just pretended there was a real "competition." A lie. Plain and simple.

Wilson wasn't drafted in the first round.

The only thing fewer than Hall of Fame jackets on this roster is the number of TDs Pickett throws in a season. At some point he has to start making plays.

I'm not in that crowd. Huge Pitt and Pickett fan. He just looks a lot closer to the QB in college who had a poor TD:INT ratio than he does his final year at Pitt. I expected growth in year 2 and he regressed. He needs an absolutely massive jump in performance this season.
I think we had started to see that jump despite an error or two in the 5.5 quarters he played after Canada was fired. We kept the ball he completed 70% plus and we were winning or tied until he went down. I truly think had he stayed healthy, he puts this whole argument to rest with continuing improved play the rest of the season. I really think that people conflate Mitch's disastrous play with Kenny as they talk about how much better the team looked when Mason came in and they forget it wasn't Kenny he replaced but almost two and two thirds of games with Mitch at the helm. Mitch set the table for Mason to look like the savior. not Kenny, he had us winning games.

I think we had started to see that jump despite an error or two in the 5.5 quarters he played after Canada was fired. We kept the ball he completed 70% plus and we were winning or tied until he went down. I truly think had he stayed healthy, he puts this whole argument to rest with continuing improved play the rest of the season. I really think that people conflate Mitch's disastrous play with Kenny as they talk about how much better the team looked when Mason came in and they forget it wasn't Kenny he replaced but almost two and two thirds of games with Mitch at the helm. Mitch set the table for Mason to look like the savior. not Kenny, he had us winning games.

He might have, he will have training camp and probably the early part of the season to prove he can hit the ground running.

I have no idea how it will play out but the play at QB needs to be more productive.

I have a feeling a OC coming off being a HC is going to be hungry to have the offense rolling. So I would imagine his leash will be shortened with the mentioned opportunities.

I am not writing off KP8 as well. I believe he'll be better off in Smith's offense. It's predicated on running the ball first and using play-action passing to bust open big plays. Kenny doesn't have to play hero ball. Get one of the many OTs in the first Mims, Latham, Fuaga, Fautanu, and move Jones back to his natural side. Sign a FA center, McGovern from Miami.

I believe Wilson has the potential to return to being a top 10 QB in a new situation with good receivers and backfield and a decent line. Pickett I don't think is there yet, but maybe could learn from Wilson for a couple years. I'd let Mason go because he's just a distraction if the coaches simply like Kenny better (which we know they do). I also think Wilson could be brought in way cheaper than any other FA QB.

I believe Wilson has the potential to return to being a top 10 QB in a new situation with good receivers and backfield and a decent line. Pickett I don't think is there yet, but maybe could learn from Wilson for a couple years. I'd let Mason go because he's just a distraction if the coaches simply like Kenny better (which we know they do). I also think Wilson could be brought in way cheaper than any other FA QB.
There is no real scenario you can have Kenny learn for a few years. They have to make a decision after this year if not before. The structure of 1st round rookie deals dictates the timeline to large degree. His opportunity to sit and learn here has passed him by in reality. It is sink or swim for him in Pittsburgh most likely.

Mega kudos John!

Your singing my song...not as well as me of course, but your in tune.... ;)
Also agree we can sign him to a cap friendly deal..

This would make 80% of the players on the team jump for joy...and provide for an entertaining 2024 season for us knuckleheads...

Hell---I would say we would take the division and win at least one maybe 2 playoff games....if we did the right thing and go after Wilson.

But...sadly most on this board and the Steeler organization seem memorized with mediocrity...again..

Last edited:
If the report I just heard is true and Wilson would play for the Vet minimum, maybe it would change my mind a bit but he has to be willing to compete for the job not just assume it is his.

If the report I just heard is true and Wilson would play for the Vet minimum, maybe it would change my mind a bit but he has to be willing to compete for the job not just assume it is his.
Nothing wrong with that scenario...

In fact, it sounds about just right to me!

Wilson was still using Seahawk terminology this past season.

maybe if we sign him, he can use the Broncos terminology and we can steal their plays?