• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Colorcast Week 6 Pregame Report: Seahawks at Steelers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This pregame report is brought to you by Colorcast.

Want to talk about Steelers football with other Yinzers and Steelers legends like Ryan Shazier and Ike Taylor. Check out Colorcast, the first of its kind Social Sports Talk app, where you can listen to every Steelers hot take, or host your own sports talk show! Seriously. The mic is yours! Download the app now.

After dropping their last 3 games, the Pittsburgh Steelers bounced back in a big way with a 27-19 victory in Week 5 against the Denver Broncos. In Week 6, the Steelers host the Seattle Seahawks in what is Pittsburgh’s first primetime game of the season. If you can think back to the offseason, this week is the “extra” game the league added as a part of the 18-week expansion in 2021. The Seahawks are coming into town after a 26-17 home loss last Thursday to the Los Angeles Rams. In addition to the game, the Seahawks also lost quarterback Russell Wilson and Chris Carson in the game and both will miss this week’s action. Therefore, we’ll see the likes of Geno Smith taking snaps and Alex Collins handling the running duties for Seattle.

Let’s take a look at some things we can look forward to.

MATCHUPS AT A GLANCE

Offense:
The Steelers’ offense took a major step forward last week against the Broncos. They put up a season high 391 total yards and 27 points. Ben Roethlisberger had his best game of the season statistically and finished with a quarterback rating of over 120. However, JuJu Smith-Schuster will miss the remainder of the season with a shoulder injury and the Steelers will need to adjust to make up for his absence. Therefore, one big matchup I’m watching is the Steelers’ pass attack versus the Seattle secondary. Through 5 weeks, the Seahawks feature the worst defense in the NFL and have been specifically susceptible against the pass. For reference, the Seattle defense has allowed an average of over 305 yards per game through the air. For a squad who will be moving receivers around the field, this is a great opportunity to work out any kinks. Look for Chase Claypool and Diontae Johnson to have big nights against cornerbacks Sidney Jones IV and D.J Reed. Of course, they will also need to account for Jamal Adams, but I’m sure he’ll be shadowing Najee Harris and blitzing from the outside. A final note is that I’m following the current trend and anticipate Harris having his second 100-yard rushing game of the season against a defense who allows an average 145.2 rushing yards per game to opposing running backs.

Defense: The absence of Wilson and Carson are huge for the Steelers. However, both Smith and Collins are both very capable back-ups. I don’t know why, but Collins always performs well against the Steelers. Thinking back to 2017 when he was on the Baltimore Ravens, he rushed for 120 yards and scored a touchdown in a 39-38 Steelers shootout win. Therefore, the first task for the defense is to shut down Collins and the run and force Smith to have to pass in order to move the ball. With that said however, this means the defense is going to be reliant upon the Steelers’ pass rush and secondary. The Seahawks have a powerful receiving corps with Tyler Lockett and D.K. Metcalf and the Steelers defensive backs will need to keep up with them all game. I’m looking at you specifically, James Pierre. After giving up long touchdowns in the last 2 games, Pierre will need to keep Metcalf and Lockett in front of him, both of whom can gallop past him and get behind the defense. In turn, the pass rush will need to force Smith to be uncomfortable and force errant throws. By maintaining pressure on Smith and not giving up long touchdowns to the receivers, the Steelers defense will shut down the Seahawks offense and come away with a win.

PREDICTION

Back in May, I was already expecting this game to be one of the biggest of the Steelers’ season. With the Steelers sitting on the verge of a .500 record and getting back into the AFC North race, it looks like I was correct. Naturally, I see this being one of those “too-close-for-comfort” games, but think the Steelers will close this game out late. I think the Steelers will take full advantage of Wilson and Carson missing from this game. Prediction, 23-19, Steelers.

FINAL THOUGHTS

If you’re like me, the first thing you think of when you hear “Seahawks versus Steelers”, is the Steelers’ Super Bowl XL victory back in early 2006. However, these teams are locked at 2 wins a piece since then. In both Steelers victories in 2007 and 2011, the Seahawks were held scoreless. Speaking of even records, Smith is 1-1 versus the Steelers during his time with the New York Jets. Going back to my offensive notes earlier, I think it is worth reiterating the weakness in the Seattle secondary. Seattle has allowed the 5th highest passer rating (119.0) on deep passes in 2021 and 3 yards of average player separation on deep passes (with is the most in NFL). For those fantasy players out there, Claypool and Johnson should be getting some serious looks.

What are you watching for tomorrow? What do you think the final outcome will be? Let us know in the comments below!

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

EXELLENT write up Ben & thanks

I just hope Tomlin's game plan features a heavy dose of run and a nice mixed in passing game. I hope Canada doesn't get to far creative but utalizes the run to set up the pass and not the other way around.

Big day for Chase and eonte ALSO means a big day for BEN !!!

Salute the nation

Against a poor run defending team you attack that weakness and sprinkle in play action passing. With a backup QB prone to inaccuracy you blitz and often. As their WRs are capable. I think these two approaches would help the team leave the field with a win.