• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Congress snubbs Michelle, get ready kids! your Sloppy Joes are coming back!

Spike

Reaction score
Congress eases First Lady's school lunch guidelines

Schools in the U.S. will now have the opportunity to go against the grain of First Lady Michelle Obama's healthy lunch program.

A massive year-end spending bill released by Congress Tuesday doesn't allow schools to opt out of healthier school meal standards championed by the First Lady, as House Republicans had sought. But it would ease standards that many students and school officials complained about.

school_lunch_1098186.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/congress-eases-first-ladys-school-lunch-guidelines/

Michelle-Obama-Angry.jpg

I said eat your gruel!

Kids need their Johnny Marzetti.

Does this mean I don't need to pay extra if my daughter wants water instead of milk? And she still needs to take the milk even if she throws it out. Government at its finest! Good intentions don't always lead to good ideas - liberals refuse to get that.

Actually, I think the damage is likely done. She packs every day, I don't see her going back.

The amount of food wasted every day is incredible. Students are FORCED to take fruits and veggies which they do NOT eat. They are not allowed to give them back if uneaten, so they get thrown out. And what IS served is NOT healthy. It's processed and the portions are so small. Want chicken nuggets? Ok good. You will get 4. Still hungry after that? Gotta pay for another FULL lunch if you want 4 more nuggets.

The real kicker is the logic that school lunches were the cause of childhood obesity when the account for only about 25% of the meals a child eats in a year. And then they cut back on phys ed and recess time.

Not to mention that when kids DO go outside to play (at the elementary level), they aren't allowed to do much of anything. No tag, as it could cause a fall. No playgrounds as they are unsafe. No red rover or dodgeball or kickball as they are unsafe as well. So WTF are the kids supposed to do?

Does this mean I don't need to pay extra if my daughter wants water instead of milk? And she still needs to take the milk even if she throws it out.
Why does Michelle hate lactose-intolerant people?

Sloppy Joes, Slop, Sloppy Joes..............Sloppy Joes, Slop, Sloppy Joes

My girls have been packing lunch since they were little, never liked the school food. My son started packing his lunch this year, after I discovered that he was eating something called a "yogurt lunch" every day. This consisted of sugary, artificially colored Trix yogurt (the "protein" component"), a sugary granola bar ("grains"), a scoop of disgusting canned vegetables (trash) and an apple (trash, he has braces and can't eat whole apples). This "lunch" fulfills all of Michelle's nutrition requirements...no wonder he was coming home starving every day.

I pack his lunch now so he eats actual food.

My standard lunch in HS was from the a' la carte line.....2 pbj's, 2 chocolate milks, bag of potato chips, orange drink. I almost feel like adopting a kid so I can send him/her to elementary school with a lunch of a fried stuffed dough with ham, pepperoni, cheese a couple of Hershey bars and a Red Bull.....maybe a big hunk of cake for dessert. Deal with that the rest of the day, school....

If they're worried about childhood obesity then they need to get rid of the internet. It's Al Gore's fault. Ain't anybody playing street hockey or riding bikes in my neighborhood any more.

It's like this; Bomma's energy and environmental policies have raised the cost of food, to say nothing of ConAgra and ADM owning farming policy now. At the same time, peoples' relative incomes have gone down, at least for the 99% (the top 1% have never had it so well). It is cheap to eat badly and expensive to eat healthy. If Bomma wants to get some policies to expand the economy and actually raise incomes and employment (capitalism), quit forcing oil companies to put corn in gasoline, and not fine farmers for producing dust, then people could afford to eat better. But none of that computes in His brain and it isn't what His campaign donors want.

If they're worried about childhood obesity then they need to get rid of the internet. It's Al Gore's fault. Ain't anybody playing street hockey or riding bikes in my neighborhood any more.

It's like this; Bomma's energy and environmental policies have raised the cost of food, to say nothing of ConAgra and ADM owning farming policy now. At the same time, peoples' relative incomes have gone down, at least for the 99% (the top 1% have never had it so well). It is cheap to eat badly and expensive to eat healthy. If Bomma wants to get some policies to expand the economy and actually raise incomes and employment (capitalism), quit forcing oil companies to put corn in gasoline, and not fine farmers for producing dust, then people could afford to eat better. But none of that computes in His brain and it isn't what His campaign donors want.

Substance over symbolism? It'll never sell.

Not to mention that when kids DO go outside to play (at the elementary level), they aren't allowed to do much of anything. No tag, as it could cause a fall. No playgrounds as they are unsafe. No red rover or dodgeball or kickball as they are unsafe as well. So WTF are the kids supposed to do?

the school my son attends allow them to play all the stuff you listed except the dodgeball....then even play football at recess even after my son was tackled into the chain link fence and ended up in the ER....

My kids school let parents come to lunch and then recess and I played dodge ball with the kids. But it was long before one of them started crying about "head safety". I was like WTF, the ball hit you in the face, you're out! Kids these days!

they also have a table in the lunch room where kids can drop off stuff they don't want to eat and if anyone else wants it they can have it for free.....a lot of bananas and apples end up on that table....

My kids school let parents come to lunch and then recess and I played dodge ball with the kids. But it was long before one of them started crying about "head safety". I was like WTF, the ball hit you in the face, you're out! Kids these days!

First kid to cry is the first target in the next round of dodgeball.

I remember playing floor hockey and taking a point blank shot in the throat. After about 3 minutes of gasping for breath I was back in the game. Playing sandlot football was everyday, I cannot even count how many times someone was clotheslined and ended up seeing stars for a few minutes. But if you were not in on the next play then you probably would be the last person picked the next day. Basketball was a full contact sport where at least 1 person ended up with a bloody lip. A helmet while riding your bike or skateboard? lmao, picking gravel out of your elbow or forehead makes you a man. We climbed big trees and occasionally would fall out of the big tree.

I honestly feel sorry for kids today, they are learning that nothing is safe and therefore they take no risks. It will cost them big time when they enter the real world.

we played line soccer in the gym on the tiled floor. you know, everyone lines up around the "field" and everyone is assigned a number. when the gym teacher calls your number, you run to the center of the field to kick the ball past the other line. i was awarded a chipped front tooth and emergency trip to the dentist in 6th grade for that.

I remember a kid in gym class broke his arm badly - like Thiesman broke his leg. It became instant legend. If that happened today there would probably be emails to parents and an immediate suspension of the PE program.