• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Crazy gun nuts

Vader

Reaction score
lol I only need one gun to rust completely for me not to buy from moss again. After it started I used the old google machine and it seems I'm not the only one with a moss rust issue. It was enough to write them off. For the same price I got a Benelli nova that absolutely destroys it in performance and quality IMO. Good that yours have been ok, maybe it's my proximity to the ocean, but like I said its the only gun that's had the issue.

I never judge a company by one or even one series of guns. Years ago I owned a Ruger Mini 14. My father (who is a former marine and a great shot), my great uncle (who was in Vietnam and shot competitively) and myself took it to the range. Nobody could get a pattern out of it. It would hit high, low, left, right etc... I sent it back to Ruger who put a new cap on the barrel. I tried again. Still couldn't hit with it. I sold it and found out later that Ruger knew the barrel's were too thin. They changed the barrels in the newer series and I'm sure they work well now.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
I never judge a company by one or even one series of guns. Years ago I owned a Ruger Mini 14. My father (who is a former marine and a great shot), my great uncle (who was in Vietnam and shot competitively) and myself took it to the range. Nobody could get a pattern out of it. It would hit high, low, left, right etc... I sent it back to Ruger who put a new cap on the barrel. I tried again. Still couldn't hit with it. I sold it and found out later that Ruger knew the barrel's were too thin. They changed the barrels in the newer series and I'm sure they work well now.

I'm of the "fool me once" opinion. If I buy a car that randomly catches fire I won't give them another shot (you listening Jeep?). Quality control is key. What if someone broke in and the gun failed pitting my family at risk? You are a more loyal patron than I.

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score

I'm of the "fool me once" opinion. If I buy a car that randomly catches fire I won't give them another shot (you listening Jeep?). Quality control is key. What if someone broke in and the gun failed pitting my family at risk? You are a more loyal patron than I.

Vader

Reaction score

Could the rusty shotgun shoot? I don't think rust is going to endanger your family. I can find issues with all firearms and all brands. All semi's can jam. All guns can get a bad finish and rust. All manufactures of guns have had issues in the past. I know this because I've dealt with guns my entire life. Guns are like women, if you are waiting for the perfect one you'll be waiting a long time.

BTW the Benelli M2 has had cycling issues with the carrier. I've seen them not be able to shot certain types of ammo. like Federal and Remington Gun Club. So do I never buy a Benelli because of this?

EdReed4Prez

Reaction score
Could the rusty shotgun shoot? I don't think rust is going to endanger your family. I can find issues with all firearms and all brands. All semi's can jam. All guns can get a bad finish and rust. All manufactures of guns have had issues in the past. I know this because I've dealt with guns my entire life. Guns are like women, if you are waiting for the perfect one you'll be waiting a long time.

BTW the Benelli M2 has had cycling issues with the carrier. I've seen them not be able to shot certain types of ammo. like Federal and Remington Gun Club. So do I never buy a Benelli because of this?

I think if the first one of a particular make that you ever purchased rusted out you wouldn't go back. If I got a stinker Benelli, Ruger, Glock, Savage or Sig I might cut them a break because I've got excellent weapons off them in the past. Hard to get past an 0 for 1 strike count, especially with how much coin you drop on each gun.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
i'd be more willing to cut a break to a proven manufacturer than a newer one.

Vader

Reaction score
I think if the first one of a particular make that you ever purchased rusted out you wouldn't go back. If I got a stinker Benelli, Ruger, Glock, Savage or Sig I might cut them a break because I've got excellent weapons off them in the past. Hard to get past an 0 for 1 strike count, especially with how much coin you drop on each gun.

We just disagree. Mossberg is a proven shotgun company and they make shotguns for the military and police. They are used all over the world. Even if I get a bad gun on my first try it doesn't taint the entire company for me.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Mossberg had some issues in the earlier 2000's.....apparently they've addressed most if not all of them. Not sure when your gun was made Ed, but maybe it was during that period. My Silver II O/U is a pretty nice gun and got a lot of good reviews, unlike the Silver I of 2005/06.

It's a hunting gun and something of an "entry" level O/U ranging between 700 and a grand.....mine ran 8 with 2 sets of barrels, 20 and 28 ga..definitely not a high end double like a Browning Citori or a Beretta but so far so good, sharp looking gun and fits me well....snaps to the shoulder just right.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I have had both Mossberg and Remington, and prefer the Remington.

Have not had an auto-loader, Vis, so cannot help you there. I now own and like the 870 pump action.

4857-1.jpg

Replaced my Mossberg 500, simply because I had less success using the Mossberg on the trap range than I did with the earlier Remington I had.

Wife made the swap for me this Christmas.

I know the Remington 870 comes as an autoloader. Might want to try that out.​

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Could the rusty shotgun shoot?

I'm not a skeet shooter but when I saw this, it gave me a chuckle. My old Savage 12ga hangs in the barn collecting more rust every year and it still can blow three armadillos away before any of them can think about scattering.

Vader

Reaction score
I'm not a skeet shooter but when I saw this, it gave me a chuckle. My old Savage 12ga hangs in the barn collecting more rust every year and it still can blow three armadillos away before any of them can think about scattering.

Yup. I understand being upset if a new shotgun rusts. I would be more worried if it didn't shot or had ejection problems like Benelli.

Stewey

Reaction score
It's better than bowling. I'm new to it.

It's sometimes skeet at the club and sometimes trap at a friends. I need to hit 3 clays because he can. Beretta has the 1301 designed for 3-gun for 1,100.00. Mossberg has the JM pro for under $1,000.00. I have a pump action Mossberg now I've had for years. I know there are some people here with a more extensive background in shotguns.

So first you say you're new at it, then a few posts later you produce this rigmarole?

You dont happen to be one of those disengenuous libs do you?

Last edited:

tdub88

Reaction score
Wouldn't go Mossberg. The Winchester x2 is a good shotgun. Some crazy videos out there of a guy pumping a large number of rounds through one in record time. Benelli's are going to be a little more expensive. I would try to find a deal on a Browning Gold sporting. Great skeet/trap guns and are pretty light.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
You HAVE to go with the AA-12. Youtube it. It's the baddest Shotgun on the planet and perfect for a sissified Obama loving lawyer. Even Vis cant miss with this sucker.