• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Cultural Appropriation In The 'Burgh

Just did a little research...Po' Folks filed for bankruptcy back in '88. There are 8 that still remain in business in the South...of which 7 are owned by a white guy.

If that isn't racist I don't know what is!! I'm outraged!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Po'_Folks_(restaurant)

I was gonna say.....we used to eat at Po Folks all the time when I was a kid in Atlanta in the 80s. Was sad to see them go. The food was SO bad for you- everything was fried- but it was so damn good. It was my first taste of "Southern Food" and the nastiness that is sweet tea.

We ate at the PoFolks on Waters Ave in Tampa all the time back in the late 80's. Good food and great catfish fingerlings. All white people, all day, everyday. We didn't recognize any racial inference back then, I guess that's something new ?

We ate at the PoFolks on Waters Ave in Tampa all the time back in the late 80's. Good food and great catfish fingerlings. All white people, all day, everyday. We didn't recognize any racial inference back then, I guess that's something new ?

Only since we had The First Black President who was supposed to heal the racial divide. Oops....

Reactions: MTC
Life just doesn't get any more entertaining than this

Life just doesn't get any more entertaining than this

See he saying the wrong stuff. Should have asked her " do you scream like that when your militia girlfriend goes down on you"

I didn't know there were that few Po' Folks around ...only 8. I have 3 of them within 10 miles of me. Haven't been in awhile -- they all started getting pretty grungy.

Pay day is tomorrow!

Should I just drop $100?

I saw that Ron. I want to try that Primantii's really bad

Dinner tonight at Primanti's. Corned beef, double meat. I killed it in ten minutes.

e4d147971e19ed92377af474f02d6680.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:
Don't be too thin skinned if PoFolks is a trigger word. Ever have a Po Boy in the south? It's inferior to a Roethlisburger or the Primanti's. To dry for my taste.

The Roethlisburger is now my go to breakfast sandwich, I usually split it with my wife, cause I don't want to fall asleep when I drive...

Khailbasi or Cap N Cheese are my go tos. spring for the egg, always a nice addition. I like the fish, and during Octoberfest you can get Schnitzel at the Monroeville Restaurant. I've had them all. As a Philly guy, their cheesesteak is poor, and should never be ordered if you are from Philly or expecting a Philly cheesesteak. It will underwhelm.

Last point, avoid the Sardines. It's inedible...

As a Philly guy, their cheesesteak is poor, and should never be ordered if you are from Philly or expecting a Philly cheesesteak. It will underwhelm.

The Pittsburger Cheesesteak is far from their best sandwich. Dry and kinda tough. People who say they didn't like Primanti's invariably tried that one because it's the big one on the sign.

My top Primanti's sandwiches, in order:
1. Pastrami.
2. Corned beef.
3. Hot sausage.
4. Capicola.

The Primanti's at Heinz Field and PNC Park don't have the full menu but they have hot sausage and capicola.

Last edited:
The Pittsburger Cheesesteak is far from their best sandwich. Dry and kinda tough. People who say they didn't like Primanti's invariably tried that one because it's the big one on the sign.

My top Primanti's sandwiches, in order:
1. Pastrami.
2. Corned beef.
3. Hot sausage.
4. Capicola.

The Primanti's at Heinz Field and PNC Park don't have the full menu but they have hot sausage and capicola.
I recall them all being really good at 3AM. I think I used to do the Pastrami. Strip District the only one around then.

I was gonna say.....we used to eat at Po Folks all the time when I was a kid in Atlanta in the 80s. Was sad to see them go. The food was SO bad for you- everything was fried- but it was so damn good. It was my first taste of "Southern Food" and the nastiness that is sweet tea.

We ate at Po' Folks at least 3 times during the week we went on family vacations to Myrtle Beach every year. Awesome food. Think Cracker Barrel, only better.

All of this food talk and when I go to Pittsburgh I want to go to Kennywood..haha..the funnel cakes are good as well. At least I remember them to be.

All of this food talk and when I go to Pittsburgh I want to go to Kennywood..haha..the funnel cakes are good as well. At least I remember them to be.

Potato Patch.

Potato Patch.

YES. Especially with the vinegar sauce. The last time I was in the Burgh, we went to Kenywood. The ex was NOT impressed with Potato Patch at all. That was OK....that gave me more fries to eat!!!!

YES. Especially with the vinegar sauce.
:hungry:

The ex was NOT impressed with Potato Patch at all.
S'all right, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
I didn't get to the Potato Patch last year but only because the line was too long.

Dammit now I NEED to get back to the Burgh....and STAT. Between talk of Primanti's, chipped ham sandwiches, and Potato Patch, I am DYING here. DYING. Oh an Coleryahn Dairy Iced tea in a carton. That is the ONLY way I drink iced tea.

Do black people in Pittsburgh wear trousers? If so that's cultural appropriation.

What kills me is if white people move out its "White Flite" but if they come in to the area it's "Gentrication". Don't open businesses in a minirity area and you are denying them services, open a business and try to tailor it to your customers demographic and it's cultural appropriation. So tell me why I should bother to do business with you in your neighborhood again.

Do black people in Pittsburgh wear trousers? If so that's cultural appropriation.

What kills me is if white people move out its "White Flite" but if they come in to the area it's "Gentrication". Don't open businesses in a minirity area and you are denying them services, open a business and try to tailor it to your customers demographic and it's cultural appropriation. So tell me why I should bother to do business with you in your neighborhood again.

It's all your fault because you're white.