• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Depth Chart Analysis Entering Training Camp

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Here's the current roster with training camp on the horizon. I'm ranking on a grade scale of how good I feel about the overall talent and depth entering the season.

QUARTERBACK - Talent: B-, Depth: A
Kenny Pickett
Mitch Trubisky
Mason Rudolph
Tanner Morgan
While the Steelers don't have an elite QB on the roster, they have to have one of the deepest groups in the league. Three QBs with starting experience, all capable of stepping in. I expect a mild jump from Pickett this year before a big leap in year 3. Top notch work ethic, he is a student of the game. Overall, you have to feel good about this group entering the year.

RUNNING BACK - Talent: B, Depth: C+
Najee Harris
Jaylen Warren
Anthony McFarland
Alfonzo Graham
Darius Hagans
Jason Huntley
Monte Pottebaum (FB)
A nice one-two punch at the top of the depth chart. Harris is a workhorse back who I believe is the only RB in the league to play in every game the past two years. While he hasn't lived up to his first-round draft status, he is primed for a big season with a run-focused offensive scheme and an offensive line to match. Canada needs to get Harris more involved in the passing game as we saw with Le'Veon. In his limited role last year, Warren showed more burst than Harris, which should lead to more of a 1a-1b running back approach. I'd actually like to see the breakdown closer to what they did in Dallas with Zeke and Pollard. It'd get the most out of both running backs, who should have huge years. We are still waiting on anything from McFarland and Graham is a popular name for a camp sleeper. Experience on special teams and encouraging reports will mean he is a guy we should keep an eye on.

WIDE RECEIVER - Talent: A-, Depth: A-
Diontae Johnson
George Pickens
Allen Robinson
Calvin Austin
Miles Boykin
Ja'Marcus Bradley
Hakeem Butler
Dan Chisena
Dez Fitzpatrick
Gunner Olszewski
Cody White
Jordan Byrd
I actually feel pretty good with the wide receivers entering the season. Diontae Johnson isn't a top-10 receiver, but he's absolutely a top-20 option and would be very dangerous with a competent offensive coordinator who understands how to get receivers in space. Pickens will need to improve his overall route running and needs to continue to be a deep threat. I love the addition of the veteran Robinson. He has proven production and ability to work the middle of the field. This trio is one of the deepest in the league. Austin has his size working against him, so you hope he can tap into the talent he displayed in college. Given his role on the team, the Steelers don't need him to do a lot, but rather be excellent at the few things he does this year. With so many options, it looks like the Steelers will keep 6 receivers.

TIGHT END - Talent: A-, Depth: A
Pat Freiermuth
Zach Gentry
Darnell Washington
Connor Heyward
Rodney Williams
One draft pick changed the entire feel of the tight end depth chart. Pat Freiermuth is already a top-5 tight end, only being held back by an offensive scheme that doesn't showcase him over the middle of the field or in the red zone, where he should be one of the best targets in the league. Gentry is an adequate No. 2. Washington was a fantastic addition where the Steelers got him. A lot wanted him at No. 32, so getting him in the third was huge. A true blocking tight end, he should have translatable talent to make an early impact, even though the coaches say otherwise. I think his receiving upside is limited as he looks to be a lumbering route runner, IMO. Heyward is not a traditional TE and can be used in a variety of roles, but is a gamer. How many teams in the league have a 1-4 that can match what the Steelers bring at this position?

OFFENSIVE TACKLE - Talent: C, Depth: C+
Dan Moore
Broderick Jones
Chukwuma Okorafor
Le'Raven Clark
Dylan Cook
Spencer Anderson
Jarrid Williams
The Steelers finally invested a first-round pick on a left tackle. Jones may have the highest upside of any tackle in this draft class, but he is also a younger player who will have to refine his technique and grow into the position. Will they throw him into the fire like Dan Moore or let him learn from the sideline? Dan Moore has the chance to make a leap in year 3, but he has a lot to prove as a very streaky player. I think he is the long-term answer at right tackle with Jones at left. Okorafor started off 2022 fantastic before a bad second half where he may have been the team's worst OL. The only reason the depth gets a C+ is because one of Moore/Jones/Okorafor will be the top backup. Behind these three the Steelers have nothing. I'll add, Spencer Anderson could find a nice role as a swing backup if he can develop quickly.

OFFENSIVE GUARD - Talent: A-, Depth: A-
James Daniels
Isaac Seumalo
Kevin Dotson
Nate Herbig
William Dunkle
Welcome Andy Weidl to the Steelers! His impact was felt on this roster, but maybe nowhere more than at guard where Seumalo and Herbig were welcomed to the team. Seumalo is borderline Pro Bowl talent and Daniels was arguably the team's best OL last year. Herbig is starter capable and Dotson is a streaky, but starter capable guard as well. If they keep him, that's four guys who can start. Good talent and depth here.

CENTER - Talent: C, Depth: F
Mason Cole
Kendrick Green
Ryan McCollum
Mason Cole overachieved last year and is a solid veteran presence in the middle. The depth behind him is worse than it is at tackle, unless one of the more talented guards can snap.

DEFENSIVE LINE - Talent: B, Depth: C+
Cameron Heyward
Larry Ogunjobi
Montravius Adams
Keeanu Benton
DeMarvin Leal
Isaiahh Loudermilk
Breiden Fehoko
Manny Jones
James Nyamwaya
Jonathan Marshall
Armon Watts
Given the different fronts and ways they use the DL, I just lumped everyone together. Heyward is a top-5, maybe top-3 IDL and has improved with age. Some were concerned with the money the Steelers gave him in his last contract and he earned every penny so far. Ogunjobi was decent last year, but needs to become more disruptive to justify his new contract. He has been a force in the past, just not in Pittsburgh. Adams is just a guy at NT. It'd be nice to see a leap in play from Loudermilk, but he was a non-factor last season after flashing some potential as a rookie. Benton is the name to watch. He comes from a defense that translates well to what the Steelers do and is heralded as a good run stopper with upside as an interior pass rusher. Knowing what the Steelers like to do on defense, he was probably the best DL prospect for this team. DeMarvin Leal is another interesting player as he seems positionless right now. There is some talent in place, but a lot of questions with the young players and depth until proven otherwise. I forgot to list Breiden Fehoko on my initial post. He is a decent depth piece and a good fit and slightly upgrades the depth grade.

INSIDE LINEBACKER - Talent: C-, Depth: D-
Cole Holcomb
Elandon Roberts
Mark Robinson
Tanner Muse
Nick Kwiatkoski
Chapelle Russell
The Steelers hit the hard reset button on inside linebacker, completely swapping out the starting lineup. Cole Holcomb is a player who I wasn't familiar with, but a lot of Steelers analysts felt he would be a great fit for the defense. If there was a stud next to him, it seems like he could be a big-time player, but he'll have to be the guy in the middle of the defense. Roberts is a run stopper first and a nice addition to the team, but a two-down player. Mark Robinson is in a similar mold and a classic Steelers ILB. We will see if he can earn more snaps this year. A lot of question marks at this position and maybe one to watch for if the team looks to make another addition before the start of the regular season.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER - Talent: A+, Depth: C
TJ Watt
Alex Highsmith
Markus Golden
Nick Herbig
Toby Ndukwe
David Perales
TJ Watt is the best the in league. Look at the numbers with him on and off the field and his presence transforms this defense. Alex Highsmith is very good too and will hopefully have a long-term deal locked into place later this summer. It's a dynamic pass rushing duo that is essential to the success of the defense--particularly to the secondary. Golden is a nice depth piece who has had some success getting to the QB and will hopefully be a better option than Reed last season. Nick Herbig was a popular pick among mock drafts and a nice day 3 pickup. I'm a little surprised they're committing to him play the outside due to his lack of size, but maybe Herbig will develop into an inside/outside capable player in a few years.

CORNERBACK - Talent: C+, Depth: C-
Levi Wallace
Joey Porter Jr.
Patrick Peterson
James Pierre
Chandon Sullivan
Cory Trice
Luq Barcoo
Madre Harper
Chris Wilcox
This is another area of the defense that'll have a new look. Gone are Witherspoon and Sutton. Witherspoon is replaceable, but Sutton will be a bit tougher to replace given his versatility. I expect Peterson to step into that role eventually, depending on Porter's development. Wallace is an average starter, so I don't expect big things from him this year. The coaches indicated they want to get Porter on the field early. He has NFL bloodlines, is physical, and has great size. There are some concerns to his game, but I think he can overcome a lot of them. Pierre may need to step in as an outside starter if there are injury issues. The concern will be at slot corner. Will Sullivan player there? He apparently performed poorly in this role last year. Cory Trice is a popular sleeper pick, we shall see.

SAFETY - Talent: B, Depth: C
Minkah Fitzpatrck
Damontae Kazee
Miles Killebrew
Keanu Neal
Tre Norwood
Elijah Riley
Kenny Robinson
Duke Dawson
It's impressive to have an elite defender at each level of the defense, with Fitzpatrick holding that spot in the secondary. He was terrific last season and should be excellent once again this year. There's less depth this season without the dependable Edmunds, but Kazee is more of a playmaker and performed well when healthy. Neal has the pedigree, though is coming off a disappointing season. Norwood seemed to fade a bit last season and Riley is a name that keeps gaining some steam. Killebrew is a quiet, but dependable player on special teams and may have an increased role on defense this year.

Last edited:
In my opinion your defensive grades are way too harsh. There is something to be excited about in the first 5 defensive lineman in a 3-4 and you have C- depth. Same with all your position analysis. I think ILB is a fair assessment and very unknown but other than that this is a top 10 defense in my eyes.

In my opinion your defensive grades are way too harsh. There is something to be excited about in the first 5 defensive lineman in a 3-4 and you have C- depth. Same with all your position analysis. I think ILB is a fair assessment and very unknown but other than that this is a top 10 defense in my eyes.
Cam Heyward is elite (A+), Ogunjobi is solid (B), Adams is just a guy (C-), Benton could be good (B), is Leal a DL or OLB (C), Loudermilk wasn't good last year (D), everyone else isn't a roster player. You think every position analysis was too harsh outside of ILB? This team hasn't won a playoff game since 2016. Where do you have all the position grades?

I think Leal can be a player. Everything they say about Benton is positive and it's very rare a player like that disappoints. I'm almost certain he is a solid starter. Adams is good rotational player. So I have 3 good to very good starters with two good reserves.

I think C depth could be higher if you factor in the Guards capable of playing the position. Dline depth maybe I give them a B- but that would be potential factored in. I think overall a good assessment.👊

I think C depth could be higher if you factor in the Guards capable of playing the position. Dline depth maybe I give them a B- but that would be potential factored in. I think overall a good assessment.👊
I thought about that with center, but until I see how they use them in camp, I just went straight up.

Defensive line would definitely have to have potential included because Adams, Watts, and Fehoko are just guys. What I hope to see is one of the new guys is a stellar scheme fit and plays well next year. I just think the positional depth was weak last year and need to see on field production before feeling good with this group.