• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Do Unions Lower Dependance on Government?

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I'm not really a supporter of Unions, but I recently realized that if Unions negotiate wages that can support families and
health and other benefits, then these Union members don't need any government handouts. I've never seen a study, but I
would bet working Union members rarely use any government programs.

So if a Walmart was Unionized and employees were able to negotiate better wages and health benefits, then many of these employees
would get off food stamps and Medicaid. That in turn would reduce their government dependence and reduce government
spending.

Seems like if you want smaller government and to pay lower taxes, you'd be pro Union.

I'm not really a supporter of Unions, but I recently realized that if Unions negotiate wages that can support families and
health and other benefits, then these Union members don't need any government handouts. I've never seen a study, but I

So if a Walmart was Unionized and employees were able to negotiate better wages and health benefits, then many of these employees
would get off food stamps and Medicaid. That in turn would reduce their government dependence and reduce government
spending.

Seems like if you want smaller government and to pay lower taxes, you'd be pro Union.

Unless of course government jobs were unionized. Then you'd see a rapidly growing government with higher taxes.

I think you mean "Good Jobs" not unions.

What you're leaving out, because you don't know any better, is that unions need to restrict competition in order to keep wages high. They need to limit the number of workers AND they need to limit the number of non-union competitors, whether from non-union companies or cheaper imports. Problem is that that big Democrat-run government that you love so much does NOTHING to restrict imports, mostly because China owns their *** and they are afraid of pissing them off.

Unless of course government jobs were unionized. Then you'd see a rapidly growing government with higher taxes.
Good thing Bomma's not doing that or the economy would really be in the dumper.

I know a lot of people that work for Labor Unions that get unemployment for 4-6 months a year.

I know a lot of people that work for Labor Unions that get unemployment for 4-6 months a year.
As DBS said elsewhere, working is for suckers.

Especially if they work out of a hall, between available work and the ability to "drag up", they can and sometimes do max their unemployment beni's but most closed shops are almost as stable as gov't work.

What you're leaving out, because you don't know any better, is that unions need to restrict competition in order to keep wages high.

That's exactly why we now have SEIU & AFSCME, not much competition among them municipal workers.

Last edited:
spending.

And throw a sizable portion of them out of work. Do you think that Walmart has a vault of gold coins they can draw from if they feel like paying their employees more? Walmart operates on razor thin margins...that's its business model. Paying people union wages means raising prices, losing customers, closing stores and employing fewer people.

And what happens to the people who shop there if Walmart raises its prices? I guess they just mosy on over to Whole Food and Nordstrom to buy their stuff.

Last edited:

spending.

i give you points for trying. And also, for taking a beating, and continuing to come back. Most do not.

21, are a you a unionized paid troll?

Speaking of unions and Walmart, Yesterday I caught a little of Rush on the radio. His conversation was about why Walmart was in favor of the $12 minumum wage, as was Costco and some others. I was curious too so I hung around and found out that he believes those companies are in favor of the law because they believe they can afford to raise wages, while their competition can not. Simple cutthroat capitalism is alive and well and has ventured into our corrupt political arena.

View attachment 526

View attachment 525

At a local auto plant, they had trouble getting a skeleton crew together during downtime because they made more money not working. What a ****** up system.

http://businesstech.co.za/news/general/53835/the-worlds-richest-people-in-2014/

The Walton's are the wealthiest family in the world. 4 of them make the top 20 list of wealthiest people.
The money they could have paid people, went in their own pockets and taxpayers subsidize their
employees. Sam Walton worked for a living, the Waltons on this list, haven't worked much in their lives.
The wealthy are best at using the government to serve their purposes and the average taxpayer gets
handed the check.

I own a restaurant and another business, as well as have a job as a non unionized employee.

http://businesstech.co.za/news/general/53835/the-worlds-richest-people-in-2014/

The Walton's are the wealthiest family in the world. 4 of them make the top 20 list of wealthiest people.
The money they could have paid people, went in their own pockets and taxpayers subsidize their
employees. Sam Walton worked for a living, the Waltons on this list, haven't worked much in their lives.
The wealthy are best at using the government to serve their purposes and the average taxpayer gets
handed the check.

I own a restaurant and another business, as well as have a job as a non unionized employee.

The Walton family is worth 93 billion, but a lot of their wealth is in their ownership of Walmart. They can't exactly pay that to their employees. I'm sure they have plenty of personal assets too, but not enough to significantly increase the wages of their 2.2 million employees. Give them all a $50/week raise and you are talking 5.7 billion dollars.

**** China Mart. They can raise their prices, lower them, discontinue them, I won't shop there for any reason.

**** China Mart. They can raise their prices, lower them, discontinue them, I won't shop there for any reason.

That's fine, if you have the choice. I prefer not to shop there either, except for things where quality is not really an issue (toiletries, school supplies etc.). Many people rely on their low prices to be able to feed and clothe their families.

taxpayers subsidize their employees.

Getting as bad as Polo..

Taxpayers subsidize because of our overreaching government, but that is a different discussion.

Who would be subsidizing these employees if Walmart wasn't there to give them a job? Some smaller store? Want to bet that those smaller stores would, probably, be paying min wage, too? They probably have way smaller margins than Walmart and not nearly the buying power. Probably wouldn't provide insurance, either because they would be under.

There is an easy ******* solution to you ********* that want to unionize Walmart and/or force them to pay higher wages or pay insurance. Start your own ******* company that does just that. Those employees will leave Walmart today to take those jobs. What happens to Walmart then? They either pay higher wages/provide insurance or go out of business.

YOU ******* WIN!!! but, no, you can't ******* do it because you would lose all of your goddamned money and go bankrupt! *********.

Do you pay your waitresses minimum wage?

He pays them $40/hour and they get to keep their tips. If his profit from the restaurant puts his income above that, he doles it out evenly amongst all employees so that he does not make more than any of them.

There is an easy ******* solution to you ********* that want to unionize Walmart and/or force them to pay higher wages or pay insurance. Start your own ******* company that does just that. Those employees will leave Walmart today to take those jobs. What happens to Walmart then? They either pay higher wages/provide insurance or go out of business.

My companies are for sale. A lot of people think I charge too much, don't pay enough, and make too much money for Ron. $400,000 in annual gross sales, $185,000 takes all and you're only 22 miles from Heinz Field. Curiously, in the two years they've been for sale I've had exactly zero offers and that's with being listed with a business broker for one year. You don't thing that it could be that the economy sucks after 6 years of Obamunism and you'd have to be a ******* moron to go into business for yourself now, do you? My problem is that ******* morons don't have $185,000 laying around.

My companies are for sale. A lot of people think I charge too much, don't pay enough, and make too much money for Ron. $400,000 in annual gross sales, $185,000 takes all and you're only 22 miles from Heinz Field. Curiously, in the two years they've been for sale I've had exactly zero offers and that's with being listed with a business broker for one year. You don't thing that it could be that the economy sucks after 6 years of Obamunism and you'd have to be a ******* moron to go into business for yourself now, do you? My problem is that ******* morons don't have $185,000 laying around.

21 will take them off of your hands AND give your employees raises and better insurance than your cheap *** provides.

Problem. Solved. You are welcome.