• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Does Pickett Have What it Takes to be the Steelers’ QB1?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the pre-draft season! Leading up to the 2022 NFL Draft starting on April 28th, we will be releasing draft profiles of prospects who could potentially see themselves on the Pittsburgh Steelers. Next up…

Kenny Pickett (Quarterback), University of Pittsburgh, Redshirt Senior

OVERVIEW

Having already been cemented in Pittsburgh sports history and being very familiar with the Steelers’ organization, it is natural for Steeler Nation to fall in love with Kenny Pickett. There is no denying the Steelers need a starting quarterback for the 2022 season, and I think it is safe to say they’d like to avoid trading for one and eat the cap hit along with any possible future picks. Therefore, Pickett could be attractive for the Steelers, assuming other quarterback-needy teams haven’t already selected him leading up to the 20th selection in the draft. But as we watched the NFL Scouting Combine and see various quarterback names being thrown at the Steelers, it is tough to see who is a favorite of General Manager Kevin Colbert and Head Coach Mike Tomlin. So, what are they watching for with Pickett? Let’s take a look:

PROS

From a Steelers’ perspective, having already been familiar with Pickett, his college coaching staff, and seeing how he interacts with the team off the field is an advantage only the Steelers have. In addition to that, Pickett has shown to be a true gamer on the field. He never quits on a play, he gives 110% each down, and is a great game manager. Pickett does a great job of going through his proper reads and if the first or second read isn’t open, he’s comfortable finding his check-down and getting the yards that the defense gives him.

Looking at his mechanics, Pickett is a great pocket passer, yet can still make accurate throws when rolling out. He possesses great arm strength and has had flashes of accurate deep ball abilities, but is more accurate in the short to mid-range throws. Pickett is a very efficient passer, as he led the ACC in completion percentage in 2021 and was ranked sixth overall of quarterbacks who passed for over 4,000 yards. Although he’s not necessarily considered as a “run threat,” he’s able to escape the pocket and pick up big chunks of yards on his feet. If the play falls apart, Pickett has been able to improvise and avoid wasted opportunities. It seems as though every play could be a touchdown when Pickett is in the game.

CONS

I know there has been a whirlwind of negative reports regarding his 8.5-inch hand size, but I do not really put a lot of stock into that. He’s shown he can still play in messy weather and wears gloves to help with his grip on the ball. With that said however, there are some things NFL scouts are going to be looking at and noting as they watch him. First is his transition of skills to an NFL offense. Playing in what was a relatively weak ACC conference in 2021, Pickett never faced ‘good’ or ‘elite’ level defenses and he was also blessed with a great offensive line. Needless to say, this won’t be the case in the NFL. Therefore, he’ll need to be careful with not giving up on plays too early and having a shorter-than-necessary mental clock in the pocket. On that same note, although I mentioned his improvisation skills being a nice asset, Pickett will need to not have to rely heavily on those in an NFL offense. With his improvising, Pickett tends to take unnecessary hits and he’s been known to fumble the ball away multiple times. There is definitely going to be an adjustment period, maybe a bit longer than anticipated for a top-ranked prospect, for Pickett to recalibrate his game to better align within what works in the NFL.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 1st Round

With how shallow this year’s quarterback class is in the draft, of course a Heisman finalist will be one of the first taken. Not to mention with so many teams who need a quarterback mixed with the free agency and trade market not being too robust, teams may be okay with drafting one early and coaching him up to become a starter. However, I’d be remised if I was to not mention that, although he is projected to be selected early, we must consider the sample size and the other names who are looking to get drafted; there is a significant difference in talent level compared to the previous three or four quarterback draft classes.

VERDICT

There is no denying Pickett was a great college quarterback. He played an integral part in leading his Pitt Panthers to an ACC Championship title and their first 11-win season since 1981. But I think it is going to take a bit for him to transition to the next level given his play style. I am not saying Pickett won’t be a good starting quarterback in three-or-so years, but seeing as though the Steelers need a true day-one starting quarterback, I may turn away from Pickett. Now, although we’ve seen him at the combine, the Pitt Panthers’ Pro Day is on March 17th, which historically has shown better performances than the combine. I’ll be watching heavily on the 17th to see how Pickett shows off and if my concerns would be put to ease. But until then, I’m leaning towards the free agency market over using the 20th selection on Pickett.

Where do you see Pickett going in April? Would you want to see him in the black and gold? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Welcome to the pre-draft season! Leading up to the 2022 NFL Draft starting on April 28th, we will be releasing draft profiles of prospects who could potentially see themselves on the Pittsburgh Steelers. Next up…

Kenny Pickett (Quarterback), University of Pittsburgh, Redshirt Senior

CONS

I know there has been a whirlwind of negative reports regarding his 8.5-inch hand size, but I do not really put a lot of stock into that. He’s shown he can still play in messy weather and wears gloves to help with his grip on the ball. With that said however, there are some things NFL scouts are going to be looking at and noting as they watch him. First is his transition of skills to an NFL offense. Playing in what was a relatively weak ACC conference in 2021, Pickett never faced ‘good’ or ‘elite’ level defenses and he was also blessed with a great offensive line. Needless to say, this won’t be the case in the NFL. Therefore, he’ll need to be careful with not giving up on plays too early and having a shorter-than-necessary mental clock in the pocket. On that same note, although I mentioned his improvisation skills being a nice asset, Pickett will need to not have to rely heavily on those in an NFL offense. With his improvising, Pickett tends to take unnecessary hits and he’s been known to fumble the ball away multiple times. There is definitely going to be an adjustment period, maybe a bit longer than anticipated for a top-ranked prospect, for Pickett to recalibrate his game to better align within what works in the NFL.
The ACC wasn't particularly strong, but he did play against two top-20 defenses in Clemson and Syracuse. The offensive line was good, not great. Pickett was a big reason why the sack numbers were so low. As I say in every thread about Pickett, his biggest weakness is happy feet in the pocket. He will run himself into pressure or roll out before he needs to and it's almost always to his right. What he does very well is use the middle of the field, something which would be very novel in the Steelers' offense based on what we've seen over the past few years.

I agree with this assessment. Im not clamoring for tgem to draft him… i wont hate it if they do, but id rather trade down and solidify the team in more areas then take a 24 year old that’s going to sit on the bench for a season

No.
His hands are too small.

Surprised no one brought that up.