• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Election Day Tales and Other Fantasies

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
We are officially 1 year away from the national election and I thought I'd start this and see if it sticks.

There was an election in Phoenix today to vote up or down on 3/4 of a BILLION dollars in bonds. I received a ballot in the mail that I don't recall ever requesting but failed to get it in the mail in time to be counted, so I thought I would just drive a few miles to my local polling place.

When I moved to Phoenix in the early 80's I built my house on the extreme northern limits of the city, now it's just north Phoenix. I drove the less than 2 miles to the poll at the Lutheran church and found numerous cars in the parking lot and people milling around outside. As I approached the door, I saw a sign that said no voting today. A man reiterated the message to me and said the nearest polling place was 6 miles further south. At first, I thought the hell with it, but then decided differently, because in a city that encompasses 520 square miles, there had to be some place closer. Well, I was wrong, so I drove the extra miles and voted.

Then I looked at my phone and discovered that the 5th largest city in the US of A only had a total of only 10 polling places open today. I hopped in my 26-year-old truck and began the 120-mile drive north to my cabin. Just for giggles, I measured the distance from that northern most polling place to the northern edge of the city and found that it would be 23 miles for those folks that would choose to vote in person today.

The critical thinker kicks in and asks who would benefit from a low election day turn out? Hmmm? Shirley, it can't be the Democrat mayor and city council that have been extolling the benefits to all if we only pass the bonds, resulting in better fire, police, EMT protection and of course infrastructure! Earlier ads mentioned water conservation, climate change and equity, but for some reason they weren't mentioned as the election grew closer.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but you would have to be naive to believe that those in power can't sway an election outcome.

So, anyone else have an election today?

Last edited:
this may qualify for one of the most raysiss posts to ever make the internet. congratulations.

PA judicial election guide:
Vote for the two Italian ladies and Judge Smails from Caddyshack.
We actually have a Republican judicial candidate named Smail

I voted...My county is heavy Republican. For whatever reason the two board of supervisor prospects were (I). Both extolled what they could offer businesses as far as incentives. No doubt both are Dems... I didn't vote for either. Govt shouldn't offer anything but just knock down blockades to making an honest go of it.

We our officially 1 year away from the national election and I thought I'd start this and see if it sticks.

There was an election in Phoenix today to vote up or down on 3/4 of a BILLION dollars in bonds. I received a ballot in the mail that I don't recall ever requesting but failed to get it in the mail in time to be counted, so I thought I would just drive a few miles to my local polling place.

When I moved to Phoenix in the early 80's I built my house on the extreme northern limits of the city, now it's just north Phoenix. I drove the less than 2 miles to the poll at the Lutheran church and found numerous cars in the parking lot and people milling around outside. As I approached the door, I saw a sign that said no voting today. A man reiterated the message to me and said the nearest polling place was 6 miles further south. At first, I thought the hell with it, but then decided differently, because in a city that encompasses 520 square miles, there had to be some place closer. Well, I was wrong, so I drove the extra miles and voted.

Then I looked at my phone and discovered that the 5th largest city in the US of A only had a total of only 10 polling places open today. I hopped in my 26-year-old truck and began the 120-mile drive north to my cabin. Just for giggles, I measured the distance from that northern most polling place to the northern edge of the city and found that it would be 23 miles for those folks that would choose to vote in person today.

The critical thinker kicks in and asks who would benefit from a low election day turn out? Hmmm? Shirley, it can't be the Democrat mayor and city council that have been extolling the benefits to all if we only pass the bonds, resulting in better fire, police, EMT protection and of course infrastructure! Earlier ads mentioned water conservation, climate change and equity, but for some reason they weren't mentioned as the election grew closer.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but you would have to be naive to believe that those in power can't sway an election outcome.

So, anyone else have an election today?
Omg. It hasn’t been 4 years yet with sleepy and his **** America first team.

Houston is voting for mayor. One of the candidates, Shiela Jackson Lee, was endorsed by Hillary. She even appeared on stage with Lee. The communists will maintain a firm grip on the city.

I'd like to propose a law that if a customer questions a buy one get one free deal at the grocery store that the register doesn't ring it up correctly, and the amount of savings is less than $3.00, the customer who then asks to talk to the manager can be legally dragged out to the parking lot and beaten within a breath of their life by the next person in line.

This happened to me today....The prick in front of me bought two packages of fn cookies. For a total of $2.30.... I had already put my stuff on the belt thinking hey I got a break today by taking the short line... I offered to pay the schmuck for his god-damned cookies but he was trying to prove a point to the manager of the store. I came so close to going to jail today

I'd like to propose a law that if a customer questions a buy one get one free deal at the grocery store that the register doesn't ring it up correctly, and the amount of savings is less than $3.00, the customer who then asks to talk to the manager can be legally dragged out to the parking lot and beaten within a breath of their life by the next person in line.

This happened to me today....The prick in front of me bought two packages of fn cookies. For a total of $2.30.... I had already put my stuff on the belt thinking hey I got a break today by taking the short line... I offered to pay the schmuck for his god-damned cookies but he was trying to prove a point to the manager of the store. I came so close to going to jail today
Reset...

It's all good.

I voted...My county is heavy Republican. For whatever reason the two board of supervisor prospects were (I). Both extolled what they could offer businesses as far as incentives. No doubt both are Dems... I didn't vote for either. Govt shouldn't offer anything but just knock down blockades to making an honest go of it.
We had some former democrats run as democratic/republican since this area of PA is more republican now.
I am not even sure how they could be aloud to do that. You can’t be both. SMH
Needles to say I didn’t vote for anyone that was running as a dem-republican.

We had some former democrats run as democratic/republican since this area of PA is more republican now.
I am not even sure how they could be aloud to do that. You can’t be both. SMH
Needles to say I didn’t vote for anyone that was running as a dem-republican.
Ummmm.....that is precisely the problem.....they are all both sides, because the simple reality is that the US has been ruled by a single group of like-minded folks for a couple generations at least.
They just benefit from the people believing they have choice (think Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Dem/Rep, etc.) when the reality is quite different.
How is Schumer different than McConnell? Is Biden really much different than W?
Sure CA is different than TX, but TX is going in the direction of CA......how are Reps any better than Dems? Are they just a bit slower at really bad government?

Ummmm.....that is precisely the problem.....they are all both sides, because the simple reality is that the US has been ruled by a single group of like-minded folks for a couple generations at least.
They just benefit from the people believing they have choice (think Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Dem/Rep, etc.) when the reality is quite different.
How is Schumer different than McConnell? Is Biden really much different than W?
Sure CA is different than TX, but TX is going in the direction of CA......how are Reps any better than Dems? Are they just a bit slower at really bad government?
It’s the policies i vote for.
I strongly lean on the Republicans policies that are much different than democrats.

I strongly lean on the Republicans policies that are much different than democrats.

It's just unfortunate we don't have enough true conservatives that can dictate an agenda. That's the trouble.

They're all fiscally irresponsible with our money and anyone who wants to change that is way outnumbered.

No they aren't substantially different.

There is not really that much difference in federal policies between the parties.

Between Bernie bots and Trump, yes, but not much difference between mainstream Dims or RINO Repugs.

Lots of rhetoric, and maybe abortion and gun control, but all the big money issues have very close alignment. It keeps the stock market happy.

Biden's actually building the border wall, right? And bombing Islamic extremists, just like Trump.

No they aren't substantially different.

There is not really that much difference in federal policies between the parties.

Between Bernie bots and Trump, yes, but not much difference between mainstream Dims or RINO Repugs.

Lots of rhetoric, and maybe abortion and gun control, but all the big money issues have very close alignment. It keeps the stock market happy.

Biden's actually building the border wall, right? And bombing Islamic extremists, just like Trump.
I will let this go as a Difference of opinion.
You and I have seen things in two different ways in recent history.

And joe Biden signed an executive order to stop building the border wall. That is the complete opposite of what was happening 3 years ago.

And the two examples you gave on birth control and gun control can be the difference in have a free country or not.
We are being invaded by illegals because we are killing our babies.
This one policy is destroying our nation.

Last edited:
I will let this go as a Difference of opinion.
You and I have seen things in two different ways in recent history.
Agreed

And joe Biden signed an executive order to stop building the border wall. That is the complete opposite of what was happening 3 years ago.
Biden is building the wall now, like Trump did.
And the two examples you gave on birth control and gun control can be the difference in have a free country or not.
We are being invaded by illegals because we are killing our babies.
I completely agree
This one policy is destroying our nation.
But Rs with the Presidency, the House and the Senate did not codify abortion law, several times. They have the same record on this a the Dems, who believe the opposite, according to the media. The RINOs agree with Dims here, or there would be a federal abortion law.

Most of the time, the RINOs side with the Dims on all issues. That is why they do not push back on all the bs about right wing extremists like ma and you.