• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Finally making it to a game this year…

What’s the big set of steps I keep hearing about?
That city is renowned for steep *** steps in lots of locations. I think the ones you may be referring to are the Shaler Street Steps.
We used to say that’s why the girls had nice legs from walking all those steps.

MT. Washington has that view right off the incline and some pretty good eats. My one Steelers buddy in Florida always want to go up there when he visits.
Yep! Special place that Mount Washington. That’s my boyhood community growing up there.
Lots of memories on the Mount! All we kids did was play baseball, football, basketball and when they froze Olympia Park up there every winter, ice skating. Nothing to do inside the house late 50’s and 60’s. Certainly not like today that’s for sure. Three TV channels, our version of video games were board games, dice and cards.
We were outside boys and oh, plenty of fights. The clean ones though, fists not weapons.
Favorite activity for me was tackle football without pads in the fall. Damn I miss that!

Yep! Special place that Mount Washington. That’s my boyhood community growing up there.
Lots of memories on the Mount! All we kids did was play baseball, football, basketball and when they froze Olympia Park up there every winter, ice skating. Nothing to do inside the house late 50’s and 60’s. Certainly not like today that’s for sure. Three TV channels, our version of video games were board games, dice and cards.
We were outside boys and oh, plenty of fights. The clean ones though, fists not weapons.
Favorite activity for me was tackle football without pads in the fall. Damn I miss that!
I hear that, not quite as old school but I remember most of that. We were always outside, always. Only time we had to come in was for dinner and at dark.

I hear that, not quite as old school but I remember most of that. We were always outside, always. Only time we had to come in was for dinner and at dark.
Yep! That is certainly how it was. Supper time and when those damn street lights came on.
I’m sure most everyone’s community they grew up in was special to them. Mount Washington for us kids was pretty damn cool back in the day.
Pittsburgh back in the day was pretty damn funny though. We had a bridge that spanned only halfway across the river which the locals named “the bridge to nowhere”.
We had the infamous sky track out in South Park which if you know Pittsburgh is in the south hills of the city. The sky track was for busses and was supposed to be the next great thing but turned out to be a bust. Took an escalator up to the platform to get to the sky track.
Of course we had some cool stuff to. The US Steel Bldg. was kick ***. 67 floors with a restaurant on top. Top of the Triangle as it was known.
I worked on the 38th floor. Very cool!
Three Rivers Stadium was the place to go back in the day. Steeler and Pirates!
I had Steeler season tickets from 72 to 76.
Old Pitt Stadium to catch Tony Dorsett and later Dan The Man Marino and the Pitt Panthers.
****, I remember going to old Forbes Field back in the sixty’s with my buddy’s sitting in the right field bleachers.
Watched Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax pitch and lose a twin bill to the Pirates. Back then they call them twi night double headers.
I gotta stop! Getting to emotional here!

Yep! That is certainly how it was. Supper time and when those damn street lights came on.
I’m sure most everyone’s community they grew up in was special to them. Mount Washington for us kids was pretty damn cool back in the day.
Pittsburgh back in the day was pretty damn funny though. We had a bridge that spanned only halfway across the river which the locals named “the bridge to nowhere”.
We had the infamous sky track out in South Park which if you know Pittsburgh is in the south hills of the city. The sky track was for busses and was supposed to be the next great thing but turned out to be a bust. Took an escalator up to the platform to get to the sky track.
Of course we had some cool stuff to. The US Steel Bldg. was kick ***. 67 floors with a restaurant on top. Top of the Triangle as it was known.
Old Pitt Stadium to catch Tony Dorsett and later Dan The Man Marino and the Pitt Panthers.
****, I remember going to old Forbes Field back in the sixty’s with my buddy’s sitting in the right field bleachers.
Watched Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax pitch and lose a twin bill to the Pirates. Back then they call them twi night double headers.
Yea a lot of that was before my time. And I didn't grow up IN Pgh like you did (I grew up right off "60" - as it was known back then). And yes, Three Rivers was it back in the day. It may have been a "cookie cutter" stadium but it rocked and got much louder than Acrisure no doubt. You could "feel" the crowd in your spine, not now. They made a big mistake with the new stadium. Opponents KNEW they were in a football game back then, when they played the Steelers. Of course, the field was pretty unforgiving as a surface. One guy who I knew tried out and he couldn't BELIEVE he was ON the surface the players played on. He said it was like green cement.

Speaking of quirky things in Pittsburgh, does anyone remember the parking garage that had a conveyor belt that had a place for the feet and hands. You would jump on and it would take you up through a hole of the different floors, jump off when you reached your parking level.

My buddies and I went there a couple times after having a "few," one time I got to the top floor and didn't get off. The thing just looped at it's top and headed down. I dove off at the last second before going down head first. Talk about an obituary to laugh at.

"Steelhurt," did you know Warren Renner at US Steel. He was my best friend's father. Supposedly, he was the guy who would look for areas in the company to trim the fat and save money.

Yea a lot of that was before my time. And I didn't grow up IN Pgh like you did (I grew up right off "60" - as it was known back then). And yes, Three Rivers was it back in the day. It may have been a "cookie cutter" stadium but it rocked and got much louder than Acrisure no doubt. You could "feel" the crowd in your spine, not now. They made a big mistake with the new stadium. Opponents KNEW they were in a football game back then, when they played the Steelers. Of course, the field was pretty unforgiving as a surface. One guy who I knew tried out and he couldn't BELIEVE he was ON the surface the players played on. He said it was like green cement.
Three Rivers was a cool place. It did rock that’s for sure!
Yeah, I was a city boy that’s for sure. ****, I remember those horrible days in the 60’s when the Steelers were bad, bad, bad.
The saying around the city back then was S O S same old Steelers. Then Dan took over and the Emperor was hired and it all changed.
My older cousins and I would go to Pitt Stadium to watch those teams. Saw a lot of great players back in the 60’s. Bobby Layne, Big Daddy, Gary Ballman, Roy Jefferson just to name a few Steelers.
Tons from other teams! Fran Tarkington, Don Meredith, Bob Hayes, Johnny U., Lenny Moore, Gayle Sayers, Jim Hart, Jim Baken, Roger Wuerle, the great Jim Brown, Frank Ryan, John Brody and Roman Gabriel, Sonny Jurgeson, Billy Kilmer, Y A Tittle, ****, on and on and on. Too many to name.
Jim Brown was a man playing among boys. He was a great player.
Sonny Jurgeson his looks were deceiving with his pot belly but that ****** could throw the ball better than anyone I’ve ever seen.
Ole’ Pitt Stadiim was fun with its wooden bleachers and all.

1 Get a rental car

2 Pasqualino’s Italian eatery-great pizza and great hoagies. They are top tier. For alternate hoagie place Peppi’s in the strip. Must try? The Big Wheeler.

3 Mike and Tony’ gyros- great in this category.

4 Big Rig’s BBQ- a little pricey but it is them, then everyone else. Must try? Brisket and Mac n cheese.

5. Pamela’s or Kelly O's Diner in the Strip. (For breakfast)

6. Pepperoni rolls?Bella Notte - in the strip

7. Albertsgifts @ strip district. Little distance from the main strip Steelers stores and booths but has a lot of unique Steelers and Pittsburgh sports teams merchandise. You hit the strip as well a nice walk around. Alternate Steelers store- Yinzers in the burgh- in the strip

8. Incline, Pittsburgh zoo, and or Carnegie Museum of Natural History. You can’t go wrong here for attractions. I love just to walk the waterfront by the USS Requin by the stadiums. Just a pretty area and gets that exercise in. Multi tasking!

I had a decade here figuring it out….
The only Pasqualino's that I was aware of is in Murrysville. If you take that 20 mile drive east, you have to stop in at Bob's Inn for a half fish sammich.

The only Pasqualino's that I was aware of is in Murrysville. If you take that 20 mile drive east, you have to stop in at Bob's Inn for a half fish sammich.
One in Penn hills and Irwin too.

Will have to check that fish sammich out.👏