• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

For or Against? Should the Steelers Extend WR1 Diontae Johnson?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This off-season for the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL as a whole has been nothing short of incredible. This is one of the most interesting off-seasons in recent memory, with the QB carousel and the booming WR market headlining. We’re struck with breaking news, and just when we believe it’s over and there won’t be anymore, there’s more. That pattern continued this week, with the news that San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel requested a trade. This brings me to today’s topic. The issue of whether the Steelers should trade Diontae Johnson or extend him has been a topic of discussion among Steeler supporters on Twitter. I’ll make a case for and against extending him, as well as what I think should happen.

Argument for:​

This team can’t afford to trade Johnson, to put it bluntly. This isn’t the case with Antonio Brown, where they had a guy like JuJu Smith-Schuster waiting in the wings. They don’t have a WR1 or even a proven WR who can start and contribute on a weekly basis besides Chase Claypool. Sure, they can draft WRs in this deep draft class, and yes, they can sign one or two free agents, but none of them can match Johnson’s production in this offense. You might think that paying Johnson $20 million is a bit excessive, but given how much he has progressed year after year, it could turn out to be a bargain in a year or two. Looking at his stats since joining the league, there is reason to be optimistic. He’s improved in practically every stat, and he demonstrated last season that he can be a WR1 in this league.

Overall, the Steelers need a player like Johnson to make life easier for whoever is playing QB, and honestly, they could afford to overpay him in this robust WR market.

Diontae Johnson has been a key piece to this Steelers offense

Photo by Emilee Chinn/Getty Images

Argument against:​

The WR market is insane right now. Ever since the Jacksonville Jaguars overpaid Christian Kirk, we’ve seen guys like Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill get traded simply because they wanted bigger deals. If you’re Diontae Johnson, you’re probably thinking that if Kirk can earn close to $21 million, you’re worth a lot more. I believe he is better than Kirk and should be compensated accordingly, but do you really want to pay Johnson more than $22 million? That’s a ridiculous amount of money to pay to a WR, especially one who struggles with drops. Last season, Johnson had a lot of drops near the end of the season, and it really affected the team. Given the current state of the wide receiver market, Johnson’s value may never be higher. When you consider that the Steelers don’t have a lot of assets, trading Johnson might be the smart move in the long run.

Johnson has had drop issues throughout his career

Photo credit © Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

This is a really difficult decision to make. On one hand, Johnson has improved year after year and has proven that he has the potential to be a true WR1 in this league. However, he also has drop concerns and will most likely seek a large contract, therefore I believe the Steelers should not extend him. It’s difficult because not extending him would leave the Steelers with a significant offensive deficit and would result in the loss of a valuable player. However, his value is at an all-time high right now, and dealing him might net the Steelers a second-round or maybe a first-round pick, given how wild this off-season has been. Regardless, it will be fascinating to see how this plays out.

Should the Steelers trade Diontae Johnson? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Stonehands. I would of rather they kept JuJu.

Yes, at the right price. In the $15 million range but not in the $20 million range. They'll probably only get a 3rd round pick if they trade him.

Reactions: GMC
Not a clutch player, not tough and not great. He is good but in no way elite. Pass

FOUR

Four years 16-17 mill, back two easy cap ramifications.

Salute the nation

Stonehands. I would of rather they kept JuJu.
Last season says you are totally wrong. His hands are perfectly fine. It is his head that gives issues. If he can overcome the mental aspect and let a drop go mentally, he will be fine. All WR's not name Fitzgerald drop the ball, he just lets it get to him and compounds the issue. When he is right mentally he is as good as anyone catching the ball. Not like Dwight Stone or Ike.

Take Johnson and Claypool and a high draft pick a try to get Deebo. Deebo produced almost as much as both of them combined, in less games. He might be the strongest rushing the ball too, guy does it all.

"Deebo" is out of the picture, to much $$$denar$$$ and W-A-Y to much draft capital.

Is he $10mil better plus 2 draft picks ? I'd say hell no.

His production would have to be above 1800 rec/yrds and above 18 TDs. Highly doubt that happens consistantly for the life of the contract.

Deonte Johnson will be in the 1000-1400 rec/yrds and 8-12 TDs consistantly for the duration of his contract and quite possibly bettering those totals.

This "sign Deebo" thing is kind of like the Honey Badger and all the draft QBs, just not going to happen.

Salut the nation

Signing Deebo is just like the "sign Rodgers or Wilson" nonsense. It will cost too much capital and way too much draft capital. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Steelers are in a bind WR wise. I wish they would have given Miller a better chance last year as now we have no idea what we have there. I am not sold on Claypool and I dont think Boykin is the answer. DJ is the only really proven WR on the team right now. Trading DJ would leave Claypool at #1 and he is not that guy currently. The WR market is crazy right now w/ a guy like Kirk getting over 20 million. I dont know if DJ would sign for under 20 million and given the current state of our offense if his production goes down his stock may drop. If we are totally reloading then they should seek a trade. If they want to be competitive this year then I think we have to break the bank.

Not a clutch player, not tough and not great.

As much as I don't want it to be the case, this. As small as AB was, AB was tough and was great.

And Cope, you alluded to DJ being the best route runner since Jerry Rice? Please pass whatever it is you're smoking. Just off the top of my head, AB was a better route runner.

And one thing AB could do that this cat couldn't -- was improvise so well when Ben started scrambling.