• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

FordFairLane’s Roethlisberger retires mock drafts

FordFairLane

Reaction score
If Roethlisberger retires the Steelers have two options. Option A is to put all your cards in the Mason Rudolph basket and use some cap savings of Roethlisberger and Pouncey by extending Rudolph to a cap friendly and with an easy out after 2022 deal. Option B is go into the draft/training camp wide open at QB and let the best man win and if they prove worthy sign/tag for 2022 if it ends up being Rudolph or Dobbs. If draft pick then you let Rudolph/Dobbs walk after 2021 and roll with draft pick. I’ll do both.

Option A-

RD1- Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame
Ben/Pouncey saves us some cap but not enough to sign Villanueva unless he comes back relatively cheap. Eichenberg is not a flashy player but is a technician and has a high floor. Good run blocker who sets edges or can get on a LB. not going to drive his guy back 10 yards but will do his job effectively. Above average pass protection and feel comfortable with him coming in and holding his own as a rookie.

RD2- Josh Myers OC Ohio State
I know back to back linemen would have half you yinzers throwing your ICB bottles at the TV about now. But if the Steelers roll with Rudolph they’d be doing him a disfavor by not protecting him. Myers IMO is the best true center in the draft. Plug and play guy who was a big reason Sermon had such a hot end of the season but he also is an above average pass blocker. Hopefully Eichenberg and Myers can help a much maligned running game and keep a clean pocket to help the young QB grow.

RD3- Christian Barmore DL Alabama
Barmore is a big strong penetrating lineman. Alualu likely doesn’t comeback and Heyward I feel has 1-2 years at best. This gives us some much needed depth and a transition piece for when Heyward leaves. Barmore has the physical abilities to be a top 10 pick but the depth at Alabama has him as a rotational guy. A year of development and I feel he really shines in 2022. He has a rock solid body at 6-5 310 and can bullrush or swim move to get penetration. Nimble feet for a man his size. I feel he has a very high ceiling and is worth the risk at this point.

RD4- Ar’Darius Washington DB TCU
Undersized defensive back that would probably be a first round pick if he was 4 inches taller. But he reminds me a lot of Hilton as he can play nickel, safety and even some LB in passing formations. I feel with our cap situation we don’t sign Hilton and feel we actually sign Sutton and cut Haden. Washington gives us depth at safety and nickel/dime at the very least with the upside of starting NB.

RD4- Jeremy Ruckert TE Ohio State
Good blocking and underrated pass catcher. Reminds me a lot of Jesse James as he does what is asked and doesn’t question it. He might never be more than a red zone and #2 TE but I feel only one of McDonald or Ebron come back. Ruckert is a TE you can count on playing hard, doing the dirty work, and when asked he can and will run a decent route and has above average hands.

RD6- Patrick Johnson Edge Tulane
Johnson plays all over the defensive front but is best set for the edge. He needs to get stronger to set the edge in run defense but he’s been a productive player and feel settling in at one spot would help him develop. Dupree is gone unless he comes back on a cheap 1 year deal. Hate waiting this long for an edge defender but too many urgent needs. Johnson I feel becomes a depth guy day one with the ceiling of fringe starter 6-8 sack type production.

RD6- Warren Jackson WR Colorado State
I don’t feel JuJu is coming back with Johnson and Claypool being such big parts of the offense and I feel we can resign Washington for a lot less for similar production. Jackson is a tall lanky receiver at 6-6 215lbs but he plays the receiver position like a power forward and uses that frame to position himself between the defender and the ball. He also is a natural hands catcher and tracks the ball very well when it is in the air.

RD7- Elijah Mitchell RB La-Louisiana
Mitchell was part of a three headed monster for the Ragin Cajuns. But his quick feet, elusiveness and nose for the end zone set him apart. I feel Conner is likely gone and that gives Snell the majority of carries but we will need a different running style and McFarland just doesn’t seem to be it. Mitchell should at very least give Snell some competition and be able to spell him.

Option B-

RD1 Trey Lance QB North Dakota State
Mix of Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen. Not polished but has a live arm with good accuracy, especially on deep ball, and doesn’t try to force passes. Fits the mold of the athletic QB the NFL is transitioning to. Has an extremely high ceiling but due to level of competition a low floor as well. If the Steelers aren’t sold on Rudolph this might be a good safety net for 2022 allowing the Steelers to let Rudolph playout his rookie deal saving the team money and also allowing Lance to take over later in 2021 with more time to develop. If Rudolph blows it up in 2021 steelers still can tag Rudolph and Lance can be a cheap backup.

RD2- Daniel Faalele OT Minnesota
Faalele is an impressive athlete with freak size at 6-8 400lbs. Needs refinement but he can overcome some techniques with his strength and quick feet. I’d plug him in at RT for now and see how he handles that. Personally I feel Chuks might be better suited for LT anyways as he’s a finesse guy not mauler.

RD3- Michael Carter RB North Carolina
What the heck lets go all offense and get this party started. Carter has featured back ability and if Conner is gone there will be carries to be had. Elusive back with above average speed.

RD4- Sage Surratt WR Wake Forest
Big bodied receiver who runs good routes, uses his body, and is a hands catcher. If JuJu doesn’t come back we will need a sure handed receiver to replace him.

RD4- Hunter Long TE Boston College
Good all around TE. Inline blocks, runs above average routes, hands catcher. Not going to lead TE’s in catches but solid #2 TE who helps his team do the little things.

RD6- James Empey OC BYU
Athletic center who is cerebral and quick footed. He isn’t going to maul anyone but he’ll get enough on them to put them in position.

RD6- Chris Rumph II Edge Duke
I guess we should draft a few defensive guys. Runph is a smart do it all player. He’s a tweener LB/DE but should easily get some playing time with our thin OLB core. He could probably get stronger to set the edge.

RD7- Naquan Jones DL Michigan State
5 star recruit who was finally looking like it in this shortened season. At 6-4 340lbs and his movement skills he could develop into something special.

I really like that top draft, particularly building through the trenches. What are you trading to get into the top 15, maybe even top 10 to secure Lance?

Love the idea of building the trenches so option 1 is more appealing to me. Only thing is if Bud isn't retained they will need some competition at the position perhaps not so late in the draft.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Love the idea of building the trenches so option 1 is more appealing to me. Only thing is if Bud isn't retained they will need some competition at the position perhaps not so late in the draft.

I have been assured by somebody very familiar with doorways, pituitary defects, and giraffe semen that Alex Highsmith is the greatest edge rusher since Lawrence Taylor.

That said, and having eyes, I agree that a talent upgrade at the ROLB position is important.

I really like that top draft, particularly building through the trenches. What are you trading to get into the top 15, maybe even top 10 to secure Lance?

Maybe. He is an intriguing one year wonder who played against very weak competition so he definitely will need to show off as much as possible this offseason. I used the draft networks big board as I haven’t put mine together yet and he’s rated 17th. I believe after that loss last night we draft 24th so wasn’t much of a stretch.

Maybe. He is an intriguing one year wonder who played against very weak competition so he definitely will need to show off as much as possible this offseason. I used the draft networks big board as I haven’t put mine together yet and he’s rated 17th. I believe after that loss last night we draft 24th so wasn’t much of a stretch.

I've seen him go top 10 in about every mock I've seen. He's a bit of a project, but the athletic traits are off the charts from what everyone says. Knock on him is the accuracy. Obviously if this guy is on the board or even near us you have to make the move to go get him.

Mac Jones in round one for me. I do like Meyers in round two. Pass on the Norte dame tackle in round one

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app