• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Fowler – Steelers Waiting On Terrell Edmunds To Make A Decision

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
On Wednesday, ESPN senior reporter, Jeremy Fowler joined 93.7 the Fan in Pittsburgh to talk about the Pittsburgh Steelers. Fowler covered several topics including whether Diontae Johnson was going to hold out, or if he wanted to return to Pittsburgh.

Even with Johnson staying content, the Steelers still have a huge hole to fill at receiver. They tried to do a little patch work on Tuesday when they claimed Miles Boykin, but the hole remains. But the other topic that Fowler brought up was the safety position, and the HUGE hole the Steelers still have there.

STEELERS CLAIM MILES BOYKIN

Steelers TJ Watt Terrell Edmunds

PHOTO / JSKO_PHOTO

“So, I feel pretty confident saying they’re going to add a safety,” Fowler said on Wednesday.

Most of Steeler Nation is rooting for that hole to be filled by Pro Bowler Tyrann Mathieu. But whether that actually is feasible remains to be seen until we know his contract demands. What we do know is that head coach Mike Tomlin has called him, and that the Steelers’ own website confirmed they are interested. But for the right price (duh). The other way to fill it would be by selecting a safety at next week’s NFL Draft. That includes prospects like Kyle Hamilton, Daxton Hill or Jalen Pitre.

The name that seems to be on the back burner in most fans minds is Terrell Edmunds. Yinz remember him? Apparently everyone better get to remembering him because it’s likely he could be re-signed soon.

“I think they’ve been waiting on Terrell Edmunds. I think people forget about that one,” Fowler said. “Everybody wants to talk about the Honey Badger, but Edmunds has very much been in the mix. I believe he has an offer that he’s been sitting on from the Steelers and other teams, and for whatever reason, he’s just taking his time and being patient. Maybe he’ll wait until after the draft. But I think if he were to call them and say, ‘Hey, I’m ready to come back,’ they they would do that.”
Steelers Terrell Edmunds

Aug 21, 2021; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers strong safety Terrell Edmunds (34) reacts after a defensive stop against the Detroit Lions during the second quarter at Heinz Field. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Maybe Edmunds will ultimately decide for a change of scenery if the offers are similar from Pittsburgh and the other teams. Maybe he will look around at the talent on the Steelers defense and decide that it isn’t so bad after all. The other thought could be that he wants to wait until after the draft to make sure he’s going to have a starting role on the Steelers’ defense. If Edmunds comes back on a one-year contract and the Steelers select a safety on day 1 or day 2, then Edmunds might not have an opportunity to play the entire year to showcase how far he’s grown in year 5.

While Edmunds has never seemed to live up to his first round draft choice tag, he’s still improved each year since he’s come into the league. While most draft experts’ rankings are always different, most considered Edmunds to be a third round pick. The Steelers loved him, and took him in the first round. Plenty of top ranked safeties fell into the third round that year. So Edmunds has always seemed to have an unfair bounty on his head from Steelers fans. If he would’ve been drafted in the third round, everyone would probably be highly satisfied with his production. He’s always available, he’s a willing tackler, and he isn’t a problem in the locker room.

2021 was his best season of his career. He didn’t have as many tackles as he did in 2019, but he had 8 tackles for a loss. He only had 4 total the previous 3 seasons combined. He tied a career high with 2 interceptions, and finished with 89 total tackles.

With the NFL Draft only a week away, things could start to heat up on the safety market. There isn’t much left when it comes to starters. We will see if the players or the teams flinch first as we head into the draft.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..