• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Free Agents On Defense

they need to find a vet DL since Cam is longer in the tooth than he has teeth
They also need to solidify the OL - RT and move Jones back to his natural side, and a C. Good thing there's a few RTs and Cs in this draft. Hope we don't ignore them.

a sure-fire OC is a must. With Tomlin maybe on the outs after next season, the new OC could very well angle for the HC position if the team meets certain metrics -as in what happened in NE. I'd suggested in another thread the promotion of Aaron Curry to DC would be advantageous.

Pat Pete could very well be released.

We do have to find some cap relief somewhere. Obvious options are releasing Allen Robinson and Mitch, then trading Chuks. The younger dudes we found (Eric Rowe and Trenton Thomson) played really well at the end of the season could certainly come on and do what Pat Pete did. Also, we have Cory Trice coming off IR while Darius Rush could also pay huge dividends after being on the active roster.

they need to find a vet DL since Cam is longer in the tooth than he has teeth
They also need to solidify the OL - RT and move Jones back to his natural side, and a C. Good thing there's a few RTs and Cs in this draft. Hope we don't ignore them.

a sure-fire OC is a must. With Tomlin maybe on the outs after next season, the new OC could very well angle for the HC position if the team meets certain metrics -as in what happened in NE. I'd suggested in another thread the promotion of Aaron Curry to DC would be advantageous.

Pat Pete could very well be released.

We do have to find some cap relief somewhere. Obvious options are releasing Allen Robinson and Mitch, then trading Chuks. The younger dudes we found (Eric Rowe and Trenton Thomson) played really well at the end of the season could certainly come on and do what Pat Pete did. Also, we have Cory Trice coming off IR while Darius Rush could also pay huge dividends after being on the active roster.
Will be really interesting what they do with Cam. Some will want his salary spread out for a return. I am really on the fence. Part of me thinks it is time to move on. Part of me thinks he still is a very capable run defender. But is that enough? One think a Dline needs is the ability to collapse the pocket.

I think as far as QB at number 20 you would most likely be talking a Bo Nix perhaps. I don’t know what y’all think of Bo but he had a pretty damn good college career.
He could be there when we pick. Just sayin’
Don’t follow college a lot but heard his name often. For what it’s worth to those of you who follow college, Bucky Brooks first mock has him going just a pick or two before ours at 20 🤷🏻‍♂️

I realize Rudolph isn't under contract but was hoping we could resign him. Don't see qb relief at pick 20 but it's obviously happened after pick 20 before.

My point is the FO can make the defense formidable only if they start in the trenches. As Buckeye said, Ogunjobi is not the answer especially considering his salary and Adams did a disappearing act. Cam "if" healthy is fine and Benton is just one piece. Leal and Loudermilk are busts, it's abysmal. They have to delve into the free agent market.

I think as far as QB at number 20 you would most likely be talking a Bo Nix perhaps. I don’t know what y’all think of Bo but he had a pretty damn good college career.
He could be there when we pick. Just sayin’
I think he has NFL starting QB capabilities.

Regarding Pickett, I would like to see him get a second chance with the new offense but watching him with moderate pocket pressure and the inability to see what's available down field leaves me skeptical and if his play mirrors 2023, he could be sitting again sooner than later.

Bo Nix worries me. Another 24 or 25 year old who stuck around college long enough to finally get it. Reminds me of someone else.

And he's an idiot for continuing to do something that hasn't worked. Our D was definitely better when we had Big Snack in there.
agreed, that was LeBeau, Tomlin took control from LeBeau even, definitely an idiot.

I'd add by subtracting DJs attitude bring in a real pro at wr and add a character stud at that position in draft.

Steelers Salary Cap: Two Easy Moves to Create Space​

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a few options to create cap space.

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have to make some moves this offseason to try and get themselves under the estimated salary cap ceiling of $242.5 million. Currently, they sit $15.149 million over the cap, but with two quick moves, they could find themselves beneath it with plenty of options to add more money this offseason.

The Steelers' easiest way to create the $15.149 million in cap space is by releasing wide receiver Allen Robinson and moving on from offensive tackle Chukwuma Okorafor.
With the release of Robinson, the Steelers would save $10 million on their books. ESPN recently predicted the team would move on from the veteran wideout, and with a cap hit as high as his, it's likely the best option.

Bringing him back on a smaller deal could be on the table, but for now, the easiest way to get yourself below the salary cap is by releasing him.

If Okorafor is released or traded before March 18, the Steelers will save $8.75 million in cap space. The former starter is just 26 years old and has two seasons of experience as their top right tackle. Chances are, they can find a suitor for him via trade, landing them a draft pick while creating cap space.
Those two moves get the Steelers $2.1 million under the $242.5 estimated salary cap.

From there, the team has plenty of options. If they release quarterback Mitch Trubisky on June 1, they gain $5.25 million. The release of cornerback Patrick Peterson could save them $6.85 million, and safety Keanu Neal would save $2.25 million.

Releasing center Mason Cole would save another $4.7 million.
Pittsburgh could get into restructuring contracts such as Cam Heyward's and Alex Highsmith's, and if they choose to extend Diontae Johnson, they have the option to space out his $15.8 million cap hit.

Nothing comes easy in the NFL, but the Steelers have options to get themselves beneath the cap before free agency begins. From there, they have to figure out how to create enough money to make a choice at quarterback, likely signing Mason Rudolph to a new deal.

He was an improvement for the Steelers at QB, but did Rudolph really show enough to have other teams throw money at him?

You keep him if you don't have a better option immediately. 😉
our LS may be better
Dude is hot garbage

I can go on the OL tmrw and make the QBs job just as miserable at a fraction of the cost

An immediate better option would be virtually any C with a pulse, the more I watch how bad he sucks id say fire the entire damn FO if they can’t come up with an immediate better option, likely at a much lower price tag taboot

The words giant liability every time he touches the ball come to mind, and he touches the ball more than any other player

Keep seeing Rowe mentioned as one of the young guys. He's 31 years old. Only two years younger that Pat Pete. By no means is he a young football player.

Keep seeing Rowe mentioned as one of the young guys. He's 31 years old. Only two years younger that Pat Pete. By no means is he a young football player.
damn! didnt realize he was an old head.

He is available to whomever wants him. So they will need to sign him to retain him.

Defensive Line
The defensive line needs some help. Keeanu Benton is the real deal and looks like a long-term piece for this unit. Heyward doesn't seem to have it as a pass rusher anymore and Ogunjobi was underwhelming after signing his big contract. Adams, Loudermilk, and Watts are all replaceable players while Leal has been disappointing and is without a role.

EDGE
This group is in good shape with Watt, Highsmith, Herbig, and hopefully can keep Golden.

ILB
They did a good job attacking this unit with volume last year, they just all got hurt. I'd take the same approach this offseason. It's a weak ILB draft this year, but there may be a decent player who slips because of this.

CB
Similar to DL, Porter is the only young piece. I think a lot will be too high on Trice coming in and making an impact. The Steelers may have played themselves out of getting a cornerback in the first, so this would be a good spot to add depth. I'd move on from Peterson and would not consider moving him to safety. You don't want the bottom to fall out.

S
Again, Fitzpatrick is the only good player here. Kazee and Neal were okay. I'd see what else is out there in FA.