• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Free / restricted / etc...............................

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
From the UFA group: Hargrave played himself to a pretty big contract. He doesn't play enough here in our super awesome schemes to earn that much cake. He is probably a three down DT for someone else.
Dupree, you certainly have to sit down and listen to negotiations and weigh them against the cost of the one year franchise. You can pretty much tell Tomlin wants him as a long term. He listed him as a priority in the last presser. I'd still be VERY weary of this deal though with Watt and Fitzpatrick to deal with in 2021 and 2022.
Finney: Is extremely good depth. They usually find a way to keep a guy like this, but I guarantee he wants to start. Ragu sauce looked done to me. He was consistently reaching at guys going by him. Its 1.5 to get rid of him and Finney wouldn't break the bank.
Canaday is whatever. You can get a guy who can snap the ball for league minimum. No problem.
Metakavich: Good SP. Teamer, but are the Steelers Sp. Teams good anyway? If he will play cheap great. Never proved himself as even a stop gap starter.
Vennett: What a **** deal that was. They gave up a fifth cause they left themselves too thin after training camp. Like go get a guy off the street if you don't believe your rookie can handle it. So they rented this stiff for 4 months for 13 receptions and now he is a FA. **** the FO got fleeced on that one.
The Rest: Who cares. Sean Davis will have a market. I'm surprised it went this way, but it is what it is.
RFA: Feiler is a starter. You can play chicken and put a 2nd round tender on him, if you feel someone else on the roster could start. Other than that the is a starter and 4 million is fair.
Hilton was a UFA so I don't imagine you can do anything but put a second on him and he isn't worth that. He deserves a solid payday from someone else. Like Hargrave he earned it. I know Banner got some love from the fans. So did the Duck for about 5 weeks. Really Banner is one notch above the rest which is who cares.

G B.J. Finney retain 3 years
CB Artie Burns let go
ILB Ryan Shazier camp invite min or hire as a a coach
OLB Bud Dupree tag and extend 4-5 years
FS Sean Davis try retaining at vet min 2 years
DT Javon Hargrave let go market value not worth plus he really sucks vs the run.
TE Nick Vannett 1 yr vet min and he a gentry battle
LS Kameron Canaday retain min
ILB Tyler Matakevich retain 2 years 3.5 mill

RT Matt Feiler must keep
CB Mike Hilton try but have Sutton and Layne if price to high
DT L.T. Walton good buy useless
WR Amara Darboh camp body
FS Jordan Dangerfield retain ST
T Zach Banner keaper

Last edited:
Here is the thing with Dupree. Its gonna be about 15-18 million to tag him. Where is that coming from? I just gotta be dead honest. This team is ******.

Here is the thing with Dupree. Its gonna be about 15-18 million to tag him. Where is that coming from? I just gotta be dead honest. This team is ******.

The Steelers always restructure contracts. They'll do it again this year and push more money into the future.

Go back and look at some of the years. This year is light years behind in the quantity in some years that needed UFA's signed.

really not concerned at all....

Its been discussed in other threads, but to free that much up, ya gotta cut Baron, Foster, & Chickillo.

Hilton has played pretty well and played with heart the entire season. He played in faith that the STEELERS would sign a long term deal. Weather that happens or not is yet to be seen but if we could get him on cap friendly would make it easier to offer a three year deal. What would that cost us?? Am I persueing a player whose production can be had cheaper?

Salute the nation

I like Hilton as much as the next guy. Solid player. Great work ethic, team player, etc. But Sutton in his limited snaps continually made a lot of plays. He needs more playing time, but whose playing time does he get?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

The Steelers always restructure contracts. They'll do it again this year and push more money into the future.

Which is why no matter how anyone dices it and slices it when you ate 25 million this year on Brown's salary and let an all pro back walk, you are still up against it.

I like Hilton as much as the next guy. Solid player. Great work ethic, team player, etc. But Sutton in his limited snaps continually made a lot of plays. He needs more playing time, but whose playing time does he get?

How long is Sutton signed? I know we can't sign everyone but Hilton is a pretty good player playing above his line. Is he an actual player who has been "coached" up ?

Ike, as stands do you feel Sutton can replace the production of Hilton ?

Salute the nation

Which is why no matter how anyone dices it and slices it when you ate 25 million this year on Brown's salary and let an all pro back walk, you are still up against it.
I already explained it directly to you in another thread but maybe you don't want to read it so here it goes again:
- 11M to Haden
- 11M to Pouncey
- 7.5M to Nelson
- 9M to Dupree

There you have 30M plus change, not badly invested if you ask me, hope this makes it clear for you

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

UFA's
Sign Finney and franchise Durpee. Everybody else, whatever, they won't be missed.

RFA's
Sign Feiler and maybe Hilton. Everybody else, whatever, they won't be missed.

ERFA's
JAG's*. Meh, whatever,

* Just A Guy

Not so fast on the restructures...

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...ny-steelers-offseason-contract-restructuring/

I already explained it directly to you in another thread but maybe you don't want to read it so here it goes again:
- 11M to Haden
- 11M to Pouncey
- 7.5M to Nelson
- 9M to Dupree

There you have 30M plus change, not badly invested if you ask me, hope this makes it clear for you

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

didn't Ben sign a new contract las year also?

How long is Sutton signed? I know we can't sign everyone but Hilton is a pretty good player playing above his line. Is he an actual player who has been "coached" up ?

Ike, as stands do you feel Sutton can replace the production of Hilton ?

Salute the nation

Sutton’s rookie contract runs out after 2020 Drink. I think in what time he’s played he has shown impact. Maybe not in the blitzing scope but definitely in the coverage sense. Hilton’s size provides opportunities for blitzing since Cam is bigger. But Hilton had 50+ blitz attempts to Sutton’s 3, with only a half a sack in difference. At the same time Hilton’s size also can be a detriment in coverage. Sutton had much better coverage stats all across the board. I’d would want to keep both after 2020, but you can’t keep everyone.

Sutton’s rookie contract runs out after 2020 Drink. I think in what time he’s played he has shown impact. Maybe not in the blitzing scope but definitely in the coverage sense. Hilton’s size provides opportunities for blitzing since Cam is bigger. But Hilton had 50+ blitz attempts to Sutton’s 3, with only a half a sack in difference. At the same time Hilton’s size also can be a detriment in coverage. Sutton hhttps://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/1/3/21047268/the-complete-list-of-steelers-free-agents-heading-into-the-2020-off-season-bud-dupree-javon-hargravead much better coverage stats all across the board. I’d would want to keep both after 2020, but you can’t keep everyone.

Thanks Ike and you're absolutely wright in wanting to keep the both but as said,....... Hard to do in this cap era.

Salute the nation

Not so fast on the restructures...

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...ny-steelers-offseason-contract-restructuring/

Not sure I agree with his conclusion. His numbers are probably right. So if the Steelers could save ~$10 million by restructuring then why won't they do it? He says it doesn't seem worth it... ok. But if they need the money, they need the money. When you have very little cap space $10 million more is better than nothing.

hargrave feels unfinished business if so if he wants to stay he will have to take a big hometown discount say 5 years 33 mill 8 mill bonus. If brought back there needs to be more 3-2-6 as I can see us cutting barron and Chick to free up room for bud tag, it will then give OLA a chance and we still have Skipper they can fight and rotate as a MLB/MLB plus Sutton smith should be blitzing on the cross blitz.
I would run a dime set more to prevent rb's doing damage on a draw ala ravens that just smash up up throats as we only counter with 600 lbs vs aprox 1200 in our nickel if you only have 600 LBS in the gut to counter the C and RG most times we will lose that push unless say change it where you blitz at times Dupree from the MLB spot
I.e DE watt DT heyward DT Tuitt LB Dupree MLB Bush hybrid Edmunds slot Sutton/hilton Cb same S minkah single high that moves around and reads qb eyes
rush 5 heyward watt tuitt thats 3 from the DL and and Dupree behind them at 6"5 265 bush drops back edmunds takes the rb or te that dupree would of been on everyone eles plays man to man

You guys know as well as anyone you simply just cannot keep everyone. However I do think we could see some surprise cuts on offense specifically on the OL which didn’t exactly perform up to par and is getting long in the tooth.
I think they want and should keep their young guys like Bud, Watt and even Hargraves so that may mean saying goodbye to some veterans on the OL and not just Foster. I have a feeling it could be Big Al or Pouncey but keep in mind just a gut feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

You guys know as well as anyone you simply just cannot keep everyone. However I do think we could see some surprise cuts on offense specifically on the OL which didn’t exactly perform up to par and is getting long in the tooth.
I think they want and should keep their young guys like Bud, Watt and even Hargraves so that may mean saying goodbye to some veterans on the OL and not just Foster. I have a feeling it could be Big Al or Pouncey but keep in mind just a gut feeling.

No way not in one year not with BigBen in the equation. Foster I can buy ,as well as moving Feiler to G. That is it...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Idk man, they have to come up with money and Pouncey has really tailed off and Big Al has always been average. Just a feeling it will be more than Foster.